Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Neil Armstrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Lil32

Lil32

Great man, sad loss to you Americans, R.I.P

2. I worked with him at the Reno Air Races... didn't know it until I heard him tell a guy his name... God Speed my down to Earth space friend!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Guess there's allot of us here that had "Go Fever" back in '69... As a 9 year old, I dreamed of blasting off with these guys up into outer space...

4. Deuces

Deuces

I was talking about Neil..:rolleyes:
    I was a fan of his ever since I was knee high to a grapevine...

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

ok wasn't trying to be smart or anything, I was just wondering, I know it's a great loss, I grew up most of my life hearing stories about everything he had done,not just the obvious but as a test pilot etc, he's also a local hero

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was 11 and we were on our annual vacation at my Grandmother's place in northern NJ (Tenafly). Remember sitting on the sofa playing with Matchbox or Corgi diecast cars waiting for the coverage to begin.

If you've never read the detailed account of that flight and everything that happened, do yourself a favor. You don't know how much a hero he was until you realize the nerves of steel that this proven test pilot had to display when the fuel was getting low and he took over manual control of the lander to find a safe landing spot. Saved his own life and Buzz Aldrin's.

God speed.

7. big bad john

big bad john

Loss of a real american hero....R.I.P.

8. The man couldnt sing couldnt dance couldnt rap but man could he fly! Hero in my book for sure n your final leaps the greatest! RIP my friend!

9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

.....just a 3 minute clip of Cronkite's call but good stuff.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0TYuXj5sq6A?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. I was almost nine years old, and remember every second of that night on TV. The grainy black and white video was so cool to see, and I thought Neil Armstrong was the greatest guy there ever was! Right behind my Dad, anyway!

A true hero of the 20th Century! RIP.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

May The Great Master of all Scouts be with you untill we meet again...

in the scouting tradition we say that he has Gone Home...

R.I.P sir

12. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

R.I.P Mr. Armstrong.

13. In case anyone's interested,the History Channel has been airing all kinds of stuff relating to our landing on the Moon...all day today.
    It started early this morning (Pacific) & will be ending at 6 pm pacific--

Episodes are Moonshot--Our Generation--Tech Effect--Modern Marvels--Failure is Not an Option-------all space flight related,all on the History Channel...Pawn Stars comes on at 6 dealing with a heat shield from Apollo 11.
    I'm taping Moonshot (2hrs) while I Clay Bar my daily----ugh.

14. I was watching the Apollo 11 documentary with actors perfectly lip-synching to the original "Voice Transmissions" and actual ""Video Footage" ... absolutely spectacular!

15. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I looked up to him the same way other kids I grew up with looked up to sports stars. Although I think it took a lot more guts to strap yourself in that little capsule on top of a 363 foot rocket and fire yourself off into space than it does to throw a ball at a hoop.

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Years earlier, John Glenn actually fell asleep during the "countdown" just minutes before he was launched into orbit....I can't even imagine the whole thing much less being so relaxed as to take a nap....
    These folks were different than most of us regular folks, that's for sure...

17. gordy80128

gordy80128
    from Colorado

Neil and the other astronauts of Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo were my inspiration to become an engineer. I have the honor to be on the team designing the next spacecraft for exploration "Orion".
    Godspeed Neil.

18. Neil, thanks for the memories and inspiration. I can vividly recall watching that first step on our small black & white. I heard he was dissapointed that the Rover on Mars was not a manned flight and I have to agree with him. Our former space program was awesome for the technology and, more importantly, the heros.

19. MOguy

MOguy

They had a memorial service for Neil Armstrong at the Washington National Cathedral on Thursday and the USS Philippine Sea took his cremains out for burial at sea in the Atlantic Ocean on Friday. Here's a video of the memorial service, and here are some photos from the service on the USS Philippine Sea.

20. emtr2

emtr2

i saw Armstrong on the moon and by the next week i was in rural Ireland living in a whitewashed cottage with a thatched roof and NO indoor plumbing for the next few years...evolution and technology certinly went backwards for me that year....