Register now to get rid of these ads!

not giving up, but can't budge perches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottsrods, Feb 23, 2013.

1. scottsrods

scottsrods

ok, I hate you and your perches. This is the fun I've been having. Yes, this is my first perch removal. First, I tried whacking it with penetrating oil and a hammer. Second, heat and a hammer. Third, saw a neat little puller on one of the threads. Built one, oil, heat, puller, and it bent the top of the puller (3/8" thick). Then tried my neighbors press, with the puller, heat, oil,air chisel, and sheared off a 1/2" grade 8 bolt on the puller! Still nothing! I'll keep trying. maybe have to take it to a shop and see if they can press it out.

Attached Files:

2. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Looks like it needs to be on a big press. That shit sucks I wrestled with leaf spring bolt that I cut and tried to remove for about five hours. But it was still on the truck, I used a ball joint removal tool and a air gun, it did the trick. Good luck crack a beer

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I use repeated applications of an oxy rosebud, candle wax, and a bfh.

4. scottsrods

scottsrods

I'll give the wax a try haven't tried that yet. I'll try a bigger bfh too!

5. That will only give you a sore wrist. Them perches suck for the average DIY guy.

6. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

WTF,just tell and show it who's boss, and if that doesn't work , bmfh:mad::mad::mad:

7. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

If the only heat source you have is that bottle torch in the picture that could be the issue. Like el Scotto said, you need a Rosebud on an Oxy setup to get the heat to that perch properly. CTJ

8. chiro

chiro

penetrating oil. Lots of heat. Big crescent wrench to break them free by TWISTING them first. Then more oil and hammer. That's what worked for me and it really wasn't all that bad. Just make sure you use lots of anti-sieze when you put it back together. LOL

Andy

9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I used the acetone/atf fluid 50/50 to soak the perch, then the torch but I used an impact wrench on the nut going from on to off and it broke loose. Then I had to cut the nut off and out the perch came, I was planning on buying new perchs anyway.

10. gashog

gashog

If it won't come out, it ain't hot enough.

11. wayne-o

wayne-o

Try an air hammer on the perch bottom while keeping a strain on it with the puller. There should be a center in the end of the perch. I cut off an old tool and ground a point on it to fit into the center hole. And lots of heat on the axle, you will need an oxy/acetylene type rosebud. I built the puller you saw on the site. Worked great for me. Beating with a hammer or pressing tends to swell the perch and make it tighter in the hole.

12. Ummm, I'd be careful with that mentality... At some point, you are going to cause the grain structure in the axle steel to change, and that's BAD.

You should never see the metal "glow" when heating it. Dull red color and LOTS of heating time should get it to open up and turn loose of the bolt. I'm a big fan of the wax as well, but I think it applies more to threaded holes...

13. I had one where I tried all of the above....repeatedly. But nothing even budged them. So I sawed the perch bolts off between the wishbones and the axle with a hack saw blade (not fun) then I had to take the axle and drill out what was left. Even then it fought me and wouldn't budge until I drilled out the last of the perch. In retrospect, I wish I had just gotten rid of it before I worked so long on it.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

What are you using the big truck axle on?

15. Used rosebud,big hammer, and candle wax. Lost the perch bolts but saved the axle

16. BlockBuster

BlockBuster
    from SEMass

I fought an A axle like that for days. A local shop with a BFP (P for press) had it out in minutes.

17. your gonna need more than a propane torch to get them out

18. bigvinny

bigvinny

soak with kano and heat with rose bud (dont over heat) and cool cycle several times and keep soaking with kano

19. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

HaHa glad to see I wasnt the only guy who has used that method. Think I burned thru a pack of blades then used my buddy's mill to get the rest of it out. What a PITA!!

20. I went thru the same hassle with a '40 Ford I used to own. I was putting a dropped axle on and finally got the perches out with heat and a press but managed to ruin one of the perches in the process and had a devil of a time finding another.:(

21. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Perch bolts are easy to fix after you mushroom the end … don’t junk em

22. I think we all have had this problem,,hard still if you plan on reusing the perches again.

I intended to use mine but after all the heating and beating it was apparent that I was going to damage them,,I said I can replace them I got serious with a BFH and within 0 minutes they were out! HRP

23. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Did you cut the bottom off the perch? Looks like it in the photo there. Read a thread the other day about a guy did just that and didn't remove the chamfered remains of the perch nut and couldn't figure out why he couldn't press the perch out. Just sayin.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Unless your rebuilding a one ton truck that axle is useless and if you are … why take it apart?

25. gashog

gashog

Like exwestracer said, but I don't think you have to worry about changing grain structure with a propane torch. In any case, let her cool slowly in air.

26. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

In my experience by the time you get done the perch is ruined and the axle is bent.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I've done the red hot oxy setup, melted in wax, whack with hammer on several axles on both perches and kingpins.

I used some of the ex-wife's candles so my whole garage ended up smelling like flowers or cookies and burnt grease but it works every time for me.

I have about a 50% perch destruction rate. Sometimes the slide out easy, other times they're mangled. Kingpins I've been able to save every time.

I'm in California so I get the sweet sweet cherry steel, you rust belters may not have the same luck.

Swing that Bfh like you mean it, too!

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Having to do this soon, so why are the perches so valuable, they don't repo them or the repo ones aren't as good as the Ford?

29. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Has anyone tried the electrolysis rust removal method before they start beating on the perches? Seems like it would probably help alot? Thoughts?