Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 model A running on diesel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by przybyl28, May 1, 2012.

1. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Easier to see. Looking good.

2. looking great! - don't miss the fuel prices of Blighty though!

3. draider

draider
    from Texas

Lookin good! I hope there's gonna be some running/driving vids posted soon!

4. przybyl28

przybyl28

hopefully soon ! the plan is to get it ready before the 10th of may for a local car show

5. przybyl28

przybyl28

spent the day making a mock up shifter to use as a template for one im going to get made up at work .. its nothing too technical just a couple of roughly 45 degree bends in a peice of copper pipe .. seems to fit okay though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also modified the floor to fit the new handbrake and shifter positions .. and mocked up the steering collum .. i think it might be sticking out too far into the car but its pretty comfy having it in that position
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. joe little

joe little
    from UK

Great little coupe you have there, what is the English axle out of? looks like the perfect width.

Cheers Joe

7. przybyl28

przybyl28

cheers man ! the rear axle came out of a american shoebox ford :)

8. przybyl28

przybyl28

took the car for another trip to buckland and had the steering collum put back into the stock position it came with .. because we was originally planning on having a 350 sbc in the car.. the steering box was moved back to clear the engine ..but with me being 6'5 tall .. we need to keep as much room inside the car as possible so had it moved back now we had the space with the p100 engine

then ive spent the weekend starting to put the fenders back on the car, only managed to get one front fender on as we spent most of the day checking everything was tight on the engine !
    [​IMG]

but then as it was getting late and we jus couldnt resist .. we decided just to mock up the front end with the grille shell, bumper an headlight bar just to see how it'll look ... i personally think it looks amazing !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. You gotta be happy with that...................

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

11. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Done well, like that you keep the body orginal to, its getting there...

12. przybyl28

przybyl28

Just a lil update ... We had to take the wheels brakes/hubs off the car to fit some grease nipples in the kingpins we forgot about so thats turned into a lil step back ... But weve fitted all the fuel lines into the engine now and added a water trap and a fuel filter .. The water trap also doubles as a fuel return too !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. przybyl28

przybyl28

Put all the rest of the bodywork on this weekend ! Its finally a complete looking car again ! .. Had a little bit of trouble with the fenders rubbing on the wheels on full lock .. So we decided the best solution was to narrow the headlight bar slightly to pull the fenders up away from the tire
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering he cut that without his glasses on and diddnt even measure the length to cut each part of the bar .. The ol'man did a pretty good job !!

[​IMG]

14. przybyl28

przybyl28

An then we carried on to assemble ths rest of the bodywork ! For a little reward the next step was always gonna be to roll the car outside to stare at for a while !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont think the extra height we pulled up the fenders isnt really a eyesore either .. Cant tell that much
    [​IMG]

15. Looking really good!

Thanks for keeping us updated!!!

16. castirondude

castirondude

Very cool build! I'm here in texas where gas is cheap, and I buy it in the winter when it is cheapest. But I also have done a 28 dodge sedan with a 2.3 isuzu diesel. My motivation is not so much economy but mainly heat! It's 100+ degrees here 6 months of the year and these cars have tiny radiators. Lmost impossible to keep a 400+ cid gas engine cool. But with the diesel so far I have not even needed a radiator fan. I have one just to be sure but the engine never goes over 180 even standing still. Maybe once I get the hood on I will need the fan.

Really cool build. Unfortunately Ford only sells their diesels in tractors here, they don't really bother with them in cars. They did it for awhile in the 80s but never really took off, and with the emission laws since 2007 they are not economical anymore.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

17. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looking good. If it was me the fuel return line would have been run back into the fuel tank and not back to the supply line and water trap. You may need to change that.

18. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Great work on your coupe! I want to do this but with a 5.9 cummins. I also agree you need to run your fuel return to the tank. If you don't, it can cause the fuel to over heat and cause you problems in your fuel system. Nozzles sticking, injection pump issues etc. This also helps keep air from being trapped in your fuel system.

19. rrustyrelic

rrustyrelic

Very nice build! I too went the diesel route, put 5.9 cummins in a 56 ford truck. Keep up the good work and don't rush to paint it. I like the patina!

20. lorodz

lorodz

what is this motor from i run a 2.3 ford motor in my car with a t-5 i like your ideas

21. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

6BT Cummins is a great engine (I have one in my F4). Glad some one else pointed out the mistake in the fuel return line.

22. przybyl28

przybyl28

Apparently ... Well this is what ive been told anyway .. But the guy i got the water trap off builds diesel engines as his day job. An hes told me that its designed to have the fuel return going back into it an he uses them all the time .. Well thats according to him

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. gerry miller

gerry miller

Thanks for taking the time to share an awesome project. Enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Thanks Gerry

24. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looks great, so how long untill test drive?

25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Well if he make them to work that way it must be ok. Just make sure that it will work with that Diesel you have. Keep up the good work and that engine looks at home.

26. przybyl28

przybyl28

Well we think we' ve got about 2 weeks solid work left soo hopefully by may time i'll have a test drive !!

27. przybyl28

przybyl28

Cheers man ! Theres still a bit more to go. But im glad people are enjoying it !

28. przybyl28

przybyl28

I think it should be alright hopefully .. Its not like ive got a maasive compression big litre engine. .. So hopefully i wont have too much risk of anything bad happening .. An thanks. Im quite suprised how snug the engine fits in the bay !

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

damn thats awesome

30. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

If that's the way he designed it then you should be ok. You should have a pretty good idea how well it works when you try to fire it up. If you have a hard time getting the air bled out and have a hard time getting it to run, keep this in mind.

Anyhow, I really love the coupe! It should get great mileage and turn a lot of heads!