Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSD ingination

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superbowl01, Feb 22, 2013.

1. superbowl01

superbowl01

Question, anybody have trouble with MSD ing systems. Have a 6200 series box with a MSD distributor. Solid grounds from battery to frame cab to frame and engine block to frame. Unit wired per MSD instructions white wire capped. separate pos neg leads to battery for for power supply, Alternator supplying good voltage to battery 14.2. After engine is started it runs for about 30 mins and burns coil up internally. Any help would be awesome

2. oil filled coils?

1) were they mounted up or laying down on the intake?

3. superbowl01

superbowl01

Awesome, next time I go through a open door I will ensure I close the door on my head. Maybe and hopefully shock some brain cells. Yes they were mounted not standing up. Will purchase a Blaster SS coil. Thanks again

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

you can't go wrong with Blaster coils. I've used them for years and just transfer them from car to car.

Make sure you have the right balast resistor. Sounds like your burnt coils might be at too high of a primary voltage which heats them up. And maybe gaps too wide on the plugs. That will cause the system to run at a higher secondary voltage and heat up the coil, too.

5. superbowl01

superbowl01

question a resister like for a point setup distributor, Open to any knowledge, will check plug gaps again

6. superbowl01

superbowl01

msd box instructions never addressed this issue

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dont think MSD uses a resister wires run from the box to the coil no resister.
    Just need a coil for the applacation.

8. superbowl01

superbowl01

Thanks ,I agree, if there was one think it would be internal in the box, coils were mounted laying down, will purchase a high vibration coil p/n 8222 or the blaster ss p/n 8207

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good plan the wireing dia only shows a blaster 2 or the factory epoxy filled coil no oil filed the primary voltage is in the 460 to 480 volts range.
    Dont hook up your timing light up to the coil + when looking for 12 volts to power the timing light dont ask how I know.

10. superbowl01

superbowl01

yes read that about the 460 to 480 range, burnt a ACCEL super coil and it was mounted on it's side. When I did check it with a timing light for T/S 12v for the light came from the battery and placed timing light at #1 plug, old napa light, plug to wire connector spring type. Drop checked my snapon timing light and was unable to find a replacement bulb for it, spending learning curve. Thanks again

11. superbowl01

superbowl01

Thanks ordered a Blaster SS p/n 8207 from ebay new in package, he had great ratings. $30 free shipping. Read info from the link