Register now to get rid of these ads!

8BA broken head bolt removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931modela, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Hey there,
    I removed the head on my 50 8BA and doing so, I broke a head bolt. Its not broken flush with the deck, Its broken below the deck.... How should I go about removing this and fixing it,,
    Thanks

2. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

If its not too far down..try using some Easy-Out bolt extractors..

3. mtflat

mtflat

I've drilled a couple out - carefully. Using a left hand drill bit helps to back the broken end out. Otherwise, heat and lots of penetrating oil to pre-soak it.

I wouldn't use an easy-out unless you want to remove a broken easy-out too. They just break too easy and you're left with a hardened piece of metal in the hole.

4. Learned that one the hard way! Depending on how deep the stud top is I've used the mig or tig welder to carefully build up enough material to grip onto and the heat generated doing this is normally enough to free up the stud.

5. Yip and weld a nut onto it to work back and fowards with a spanner, heat and WD40 will usually do the trick from there. Just be paitent and work it a little at a time otherwise you will be back to square one!!

6. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

Great advice. I broke a stud and easy out. I did not know about the welded nut. My last resort worked like a charm. Smallest tip on an OA torch, heat directly on the center of the steel, once cherry red carefully turn up the oxy and sparks will fly. I kept the cast iron cool and removed all of the easy out leaving a good portion of the drilled stud intact. Put the head back on, make thin bushing and drilled the stud. The rest came out with patience on a pointed chisel and tap.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This bolt was broken off below the surface when I got it. I used a mig welder to build up the bolt.

[​IMG]

Welded a nut on and back out the broken piece. Some guys add a washer before the weld. Clean it up with a tap and proceed.

8. 36tbird

36tbird

Might do some searching about this to find out about using candle wax. I have not done it, but some recommend melting the wax around the base of the stud after you have welded the nut to it. Other big penetrating oil recommendation that has also been discussed a lot is the mix of acetone and tranny fluid.

9. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

If its broken off WAY below flush, I've put a piece of steel tubing in the hole and welded it to the end of the bolt from inside the tube. Then weld on a nut and turn it out.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Keep the ideas comin
    Iv got one with 5 to get out and welding washers and nuts on isn’t working on this one. :mad:

11. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I used the welding method before and it worked great. This one is broken too far down to weld to...Maybe Ill try heat then the wax then a reverse drill bit?
    Thanks for the ideas guys,