Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big 3 Parts Exchange San Diego- Who's going??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sutton Speed, Feb 4, 2013.

1. just got in tonite from the big 3
    great weather. lots of good stuff.

old crow lakes cars. with H&H flathead crew. very cool guys.

2. stinger40

stinger40

was there today, great weather, not too croweded & got a few good deals- very nice uncut pair of 40 p/u inner fender panels for $50.... tomorrow should be even more sellers

3. Going Saturday. Looking forward to it, my first time.

4. mopacltd

mopacltd

My brother will be there. He's the short guy with the KC Royal's ball cap on!

5. mopacltd

mopacltd

Brother said the place was packed and he sold enough to buy the new air conditioning for his GTO.
    Now if I could just find a decent grill for a '34 Plymouth.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got back. Great weather and lots of good stuff. Most prices were good as well. Everyone with me found something they had to have. All in all a great meet as usual.

7. Got worn out today, too much good stuff. Going back Sunday ;~)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Whew! I'm worn out. We walked about 6 hours today. I didn't find a heck of a lot that I needed or "had to have" this year but had a good time as always.

9. exterminator

exterminator

It was great again this year.Only seen half of show since cuz got tired out.Bought wallet since low on money.Will go again next year.

10. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

almost got hit by a jeep, guy started it in gear, it took off, crashing thru piles of stuff, across a row full of people, not hitting anyone, and into the space i was just looking at, moments before. crushing a bunch of that guys stuff. Anyone else see this?

11. mopacltd

mopacltd

Was that Saturday or Sunday?

12. I missed that. Sounds like it could have ended badly.

13. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

that was on sat. my dad is old and moves slow, scared the crap out of him.

14. mopacltd

mopacltd

Just talked to my Brother. He or his buddies still haven't heard a thing about this incident, but they did have someone try to steal a set of wheels in the middle of the night. It didn't work though....Ed chased the guy down and took care of business before security was called to haul the guy off!

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Great time as always, sold good friday, sales were slow on saterday, bought a 32 firewall and a 39 box at a great price, the best part was the anual bar-b-que with all my friends and club members

16. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Was there for 8 hours on Saturday, my buddy found a set of rare 406 cast exhaust manifolds. I found a pair of 34 3W doors that looked really good for $600...almost had to buy them just because they were such a good deal but cash is tight. Once again there were tons of empty spots, seems like people buy their spots and hold them each year whether they attend or not, I think that admin ought to change their policies on reserving spots. Lots of people wanted spots this year and could not get them because they were bought up but not used.

17. chevymike

chevymike

Yeah, I noticed a lot of empty spots yet heard the overflow area was packed. Never made it into that area.

18. Mike

Mike

The spots are all paid for in advance, giving away a spot that's already paid for would not go over to well with the vendors. Also, per the San Diego Fire Marshall's office, once the gates open to the public at 8:00am, no more vendors are allowed in to set up. They don't want vehicles moving in the swap area while the public is in shopping.

19. wesrat

wesrat
    from Ramona Ca.

just missed the run away jeep.

20. Wow, I walked right by them and didn't ask how much. Was that $600 each or for the pair? At that price I couldn't have passed them up. Or are you pulling my leg?

I do wish that people would price their stuff, either they aren't around or are busy talking to someone. I keep moving since the place is so huge and 99% of the time those doors would be $3000!

21. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Charlie, you must have left a zero "0" off that price. The guy told me he wanted 6 GRAND for the set of doors. When I asked him if he thought they'd sell at that price, he told me " they're hard to find, so if someone wants em bad enough, they'll pay that. If not, I'll hold on to em till they sell".

I gave a complimentary chuckle, and was on my way. :)

22. Anyone take any pics? I want to see how this swap looks......it sounds great. Considering this swap or LARS next year. Did LARS last year and it was mind blowing!

23. It reminded me of how Pomona was 20 years ago. Not so much junk but more "important or hard to find" pieces that are in decent shape and are parts from people's collections of stuff. Not to say there wasn't junk but not a bunch of lawn mowers, Chinese toys and import tools.
    Sellers for the most part are fair on their prices as well. Sunday prices rock! There seemed to lots of pre-swap swapping going on from what vendors told me.
    A very good experience FWIW.

24. Weasel

Weasel

LARS is more hot rod oriented than Big 3 and a better bet for vintage speed equipment. I have been going to or selling at both for many years and that is my experience....

25. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    I only took a couple of our spot. Here you go.
    Rick

Attached Files:

26. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

That could be...he had a foreign accent and kinda mumbled so I may have heard it wrong. I had just lent my buddy $500 cash to buy a set of 406 cast headers so I was a little short, otherwise I would have pursued them a little more. This was Saturday at noon so I was wondering how they lasted through Friday and Sat AM. It all makes more sense now.

27. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I didn't say "give away spots", what I said was that they should take a look at their policies regarding how the spots are reserved. For instance, if I reserve 2 spots and then don't show up, then I should lose my right to automatically get a reservation for those same spots the next year. As it stands today, all you have to do is show up with your current passes and they will allow you to buy the same spots next year. It's not a coincidence that the areas with the most vacant spots are those that have been reserved by the same people for years and are in the prime sections of the lot. I personally know of two individuals who hold 10 spaces each...in the past 5 years each of these guys only showed up twice. You know that it's getting bad when people are scalping spots on CL.

28. big_dan_1950

big_dan_1950
    from ca

i took a few pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

That guy with the digeridoo seemed to be stopping and playing his instrument at most every booth he came to.

30. Thanks for the info and the pics guys, i think I will hit LARS again.