Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are these flathead blocks scrap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kentuckyscum, Feb 22, 2013.

1. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

My flathead project is about done, and my curiosity about them has been satisfied. Been fun/irritating/challenging/expensive(!), etc. Clearing stuff out, I have two blocks. 59 block that has a very old school port and relief job on it, had a crack that is no problem, but was bored to 3-3/8 + 20. I got a new block instead of doing 8 sleeves. The other is a '53 Merc 8BA, was going to clean, inspect and pull the cam. Went to put on the stand and almost all the bellhousing threads on the back are boogered up. It's 40 over but appears to need a sleeve and valve seats in one cylinder, and I haven't had a good look at the whole thing yet. Are these blocks that hardcore flatheaders would even want? The alternative is taking them to the old-timey yard down the hill from me, the owner looks kindly upon my "donations"--it generally works out well for me in the long run.

2. Sounds like both blocks are far from junk, and somewhat desirable.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not list them for sale, at a little over scrap price? If no one wants them, in a couple of months you can always sell them for scrap iron.

4. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

Just didn't want to spend time cleaning, taking pics and posting--and then dealing with the guy who wants me to put them on a Greyhound to Fairbanks--if they weren't worth anything. I will try to find homes for them.

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The overbored one has probably had its life used up but the other one should have some value. If crack free should be worth 1 to 2 hundred, depending on the boggered up holes.

Neal

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I look at it this way

In a few years stuff we think is junk now we will wish we had back …. If its not costing you
    anything ……………......................................

7. codeblu

codeblu

So I guess I won't be throwing away my V8-60 with the cracked block.

8. sleeve the 3 3/8 and use it again or punch it out and fill the block and use it for racing................... always some use for them............

9. these things aren't far off from being 100 years old don't scrap them if they are close to usable.

10. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

+1 on the above from experience. A buddy and I stumbled over one of his from the late '60's, cracked from the center head studs into the cyl walls on one bank. He had given up up on it and I finally sent it along with other scrap in an '80's clean out. 4 [or even all 8] sleeves doesn't seem like such a bad option now considering it was ported, relieved, and otherwise sound.

Ed

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

demand and availability are in a death spiral---they will never rise in value get something for them while you can---they make new ones don't they ?

12. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Where is the crack in 3 3/8+20?

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Boogered threads in the bellhousing mean nothing. It's still a good block for sure.

14. kentuckyscum

kentuckyscum
    from kentucky

I don't remember about the crack, the machinist didn't make a big deal about it, said it was fixable. I assumed it was one of the exhaust seat issues.

I think I agree on the demand death spiral. Flathead stuff on eBay generates intense interest, but with a limited number of people. The posers have long since moved on, the group of hardcores seems to be fairly small and I fear dwindling. My old man has a garage full of crazy stuff, I keep telling him it's time to sell it.