Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronics flamethrower setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jtm_elcamino, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

Hey guys I've heard alot about pertronics flamethrower systems.. Was thinking about getting one for the 355 in my truck and ditching the HEI. Any of y'all dealt with or know anyone that has ran these? I Was looking at the flamethrower III if I do decide to get one.

2. The Ignitor III has a built in rev limiter and Multi Spark as part of the module without having to have a separate box. If it is a street or Street/Strip car this is a great way to go. Hot reliable spark at a very reasonable price.

3. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

as i see it only reason to use a pertronics type system is to keep the look of a old style dist ....if you have a msd type cap /rotor ect the hei is all you need

am using the pertronix system in my A mallory flat top dist msd box&coil

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

I gotta disagree with gasserjohn on this. The difference I"ve seen is a much better , more complete burn and lightening fast starts and alittle better mpg. My sbc will start on the 1st or 2nd turn almost every time with the Pertronix .

5. kelzweld

kelzweld

I've run both an HEI and an Ignitor II with Flamethrower coil in an old Mallory dissy in SBC's. For a mild street driven car both performed fine but I prefer the Pertronics setup on looks alone. HEI's are too modern and fugly IMO.

6. I totally agree with you,,plus the distributor cap is small like a early model Ford or Chevy points type distributor.

I have used Flamethrower setup on my 327 in my Deuce Pickup and on the 302 in ladyhrp's '54 Ranch Wagon. HRP

7. 41dodgegasser

41dodgegasser
    from IL

mine works great and the small cap fits with my tunnel ram

8. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

A buddie of mine has a delco dist. with the Ignitor I in it that hell take $50 for. My HEI works great the problem is its making my plug wires rub on the firewall.. im all for more spark even though its a daily driven street truck.

9. that's a great deal. Just don't leave the key on without the motor running with an Ignitor I or you Could smoke the module.

10. Normant93

Normant93

Good question, I was considering the same issue, I have the 283 pushed so far back against the firewall in my Healey there's no room for anything but a points style distributor. Thanks all for the responses.

11. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

ive heard about the 1st gen ignitors burning up with the key left on.. doesnt make much sense to me unless it satys on long enough to low voltage it.. what would the best coil to run with the ignitor?

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

The Pertronics Ignitor 3 is an excellent system. I have it on my '52 Chevy with a SBC starts fast and runs strong. Get it man.........it's the best. My car had a HEI on it and that ugly thing got rap out real fast.

CRUISER :cool:

13. Just like a set of points if the distributor happens to be in the right location rotation wise, the energy from the key being on will continue to build up with out being released through the coil int he way of a spark. And then wither the coil will blow up or the module (Or points) will smoke.
    The Ignitor II and III have a micro processor that shuts off if the systems is energized and it does not sense rotation.

14. wolfie1961

wolfie1961

I've been running them on my boat engines. They've worked great for me. I'm running at 4500-5500 RPM for long runs.

Attached Files:

15. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

awsome thanks for the info guys!!!!!. I wonder how well ine would work in a street/strip blown application?

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

Been working great so far. It replaced the Duraspark ignition system which got rid of some clutter.

Attached Files:

17. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Primary resistance is 1.5 ohms. The coil that came with the kit burned out in about 300 miles so I grabbed the Accel Super Stock w/ a 1.2. According to their tech line the 1.2 would be fine but that was at the bottom of their scale. No problems after 4 years...

18. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

oh ok. i was looking at pertronics' 45,000 volt coils. i think im gonna get that dist. from my buddy and run it for a while then jump up to the ignitor III. do they come with provisions for tachs?

19. cooger

cooger

i've had the ignitor 1 and coil, modified hei, and now a msd pro billet in my 355.
    All worked o.k., but in the end the msd unit is by far the best. Used the flamethrower coil with it and the setup works super. Pertronix unit was o.k., but quite a few of the car guys around here had failures that left them on the side of the road.
    Problem is the msd is expensive. Guess you get what you pay for.
    cooger

20. The tach wires to the negative side of the coil

21. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

oh yea i forgot... it been a long time since i messed with a points style dist.