Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead rebuild inside and out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattrat31, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mattrat31

mattrat31

My model a sedan currently has a 1952 flathead out of a pickup truck. I have came to conclusion that it has a crack in the block somewhere due to its overheating issues. Here is a post that I did to show what exactly went on and how I tried to debug everything.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724835

So I had this other empty block laying around and figured that I would build it up and completely go through everything in it and make sure that it would have no future problems. I am going to use my thickstun intake, strombergs, water pumps, powergen alternator generator, elelbrock heads, lake headers, and bubba's distributor from my current engine. All of the parts listed are either new or refirbished to be good as new.

I plan on upgrading the cam to somethings a little bit more powerful than a stock cam. I want it to sound mean but still run like a top and not have to fight it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. mattrat31

mattrat31

Here is my current setup. Stock except for intake, carbs, headers, alternator/generator, heads, and distributor.

Attached Files:

3. mattrat31

mattrat31

Here is the block that I am starting with. No visible cracks. It is on it's way to be magnafluxed.

Attached Files:

4. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I use my badly cracked block for porting and reliveing practice... By the way you set up looks killer. What cam do you have already ?

5. mattrat31

mattrat31

Thanks mastergun. Just trying to keep it simple looking. Right now my cam is the stock one that came out of the 52 pickup originally. I want something that is a little bit of an upgrade. I was thinking about an isky max-1.

6. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I am putting a max 1 in my 8ba . Based mainly on Joe Abblin's advise. He told me it iw a good cam for a street car. I'm running one of Joe's blower setups , And for my truck he said IThe max-1 is by far the best choice.

7. mattrat31

mattrat31

Got the "new" block magnafluxed and no signs of any cracks. I've heard about using chevy valves. Does that require bigger seats? How does this work?

8. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Are you going to have it pressure tested?

9. Ol' Ron on the Ford Barn really likes the Literio L 100. It has a great lopey idle, but very streetable. He uses them in almost all his builds.
    Matt

10. mattrat31

mattrat31

My "new" block finally got checked and is crack free. It's getting the works,,, bored, decked, new cam, valve seats, crank turned, yada yada yada,,, what can be done is being done.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Good idea, mag flux the block. I like and use the Isky Max 1 in mine,...4", .060 over, Mallory, Strombergs and Offy "400" heads.

So far, so good

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pressure test. The flathead exhaust system inside the water jacket cannot be checked visually!

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

listen to Ol Ron.L100 is a better cam. you said you wanted a choppy cam,Max1 isn't. It is a good stock+ cam.
    Pressure test is the way to go...

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Don't deck it unless you have to.