Register now to get rid of these ads!

Used bearing clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jack orchard, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jack orchard

jack orchard

I have a used flathead 8ba engine that i must remove to fix broken exhaust bolts. This engine will be used while i finish the rebuild on another engine. Then it will be sold. While it is out i would like to do a routine bearing clearance check. I know nothing about the history of this engine except that it runs good, sounds good and hits on all 8. If i use plastigage to check clearance, what clearance would be acceptable? The engine will be upside down and i planned to wipe oil off before checking. All opinions are appreciated. thanks, ...jack

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

3. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

What year? 1949 had different specs than the1950 and 1951 revised engines

4. terryble

terryble
    from canada

If it runs good and sounds good don't look for trouble, put it in and drive it untill your other one is finished. If you open it up and look I guarantee you will find something you won't like and can't overlook!

5. jack orchard

jack orchard

Don't know what year. Who knows how many vehicles these motors have been in over the past sixty years. I thought all 8ba engines were the same 49-53. ...jack