Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carb rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder52, Jan 9, 2013.

1. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may seem like a very simple thing, but since the cold hit here in Illinois I have not been doing much on the car. Since I got it, you have to choke it to get it started, but it will not run on less than 3/4 choke. I checked the idle screw and it was turned out six turns! I reset the screw and started dicking with the idle speed. I got it to run about half choke. Turns out after pulling apart the carb the float adjustment is off by quite a bit and there was all sorts of crap in the carb. When u went to check the filter (sediment bowl on top of pump) the po had used rtv to seal the glass bowl down. It disintegrated and plugged the fuel pump rather well, not to mention that the brass screen has several holes in it. New one on its way. Anyway, I thought I'd share a pic or two of the carb. Since I am waiting on the pump I got out the dremel for a few hours last night. What do you think?
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357759911.550000.jpg
    Before
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1357759957.950908.jpg
    After. It's not perfect, but I like it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. looks great nice polish job

3. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I tore down the carb to clean it and waited two days for the kit to arrive, and I haven't been sleeping well for a few months, so I thought I would do something productive that cost nothing. It needs some attention, but it looks better than it did.

4. nali

nali

One looks nice once polished.
    What about 3 ? :)

Attached Files:

5. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jealous! That's step number two. Or three. I was wondering if the manual choke carbs will be a problem with a multi setup. I imagine I will have to fabricate linkage for the choke. I hope to find one already set up. Carbs are my nemesis. They are simple to understand, they just usually kick my butt.

6. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So my polish job quickly turned to a hazy gray. What are you all using to keep your carbs and such shiny?

7. radconjon

radconjon

Yarns ago when I played with OT imports I would hit the polished AL with clear lacquer.
    Kept it shiny for awhile.

Jon

8. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

X2 on the clear

9. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will a rattle can lacquer work well? Just don't want to busy out the gun for small parts.

10. lht

lht

its hard to find but glass wax works great on polished aluminum pink lookin stuff repels water good too, use it on my harley stuff as long as you keep a coat on their once in awile you won't have to re polish

11. radconjon

radconjon

I always used a rattle can. I do some woodworking and am amazed at what you can do on small jobs with a rattle can.

12. nali

nali

I ve used Eastwood Diamond Clear.
    It seams ok for now. It resists to heat and fuel.
    The pb is it s very liquid and I found it hard to apply.