Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor swap questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaseguy62, Feb 20, 2013.

1. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

What's up fellas. I have a 62 ford unibody, and I'm thinkin of putting either a 460 or a 302, maybe a Y block and a 5 spd or auto not sure what I wanna do yet. But my question is would I have to get a whole new drive shaft, and rear end for the swap? I have a 223 i6 and 3 on the tree, my top spd is about 60 mph. Thanks for the help..

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

These are not a hard vehicle to do a swap on, there is a lot of room under the hood and various engines were put in them by the factory.

The 302 is an excellent choice, enough power for regular driving and real good on gas, probably better than the stock 6.

Will work with the stock rear end but a higher (lower numerical) ratio would be better.

3. First swap, right? Well, do you weld? You are going to have to fabricate a lot of stuff, some big (motor mounts, driveshaft, shift linkage), some small (wiring, throttle linkage, gauge hookups). It's a BIG project, and it may take a long time.

Be prepared for it. You are, and I mean ARE going to get discouraged, which is why you see so many project cars out there for sale.

Get a CONCRETE plan, stick to it, and you might fare well. Most (all??) projects are derailed permanently by indecision.

Cosmo

4. fordor41

fordor41

Ditto. Do one thing at a time. Don't jump around. Try to do something every day and before you know you're done.

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I agree, before any project, have a plan, do research, collect parts, have contacts lined up for things you cannot do.
    All are good choices, I personally lean to the 460 just for power. If it is going to be a daily driver type truck, I'd lean to a 351w. Good power and milage to boot. 302, good also, but the 351 will get the same milage with more power.

Just my 2 cents

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

I can weld but I'm not the best. LMC has motor mounts for about 100$ but I'm still undecided on motor. My main question is will I have to do anything to my current driveshaft or how will it work(length wise)? For now I'll just make the 223 look good. It was recently rebuilt and runs like a champ. Paint and body is my project right now. Just itchin for more power. Thanks for the help guys.

8. lht

lht

stick with 302 unless you got deep pockets 460 will suck down some gas

9. fxcomet

fxcomet

Pretty sure that 62 still has a 9" even though it's a six. Either motor will pull it fine, but once you enjoy the torque of a 460, you'll never go back.:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. derbydad276

derbydad276

THIS!!!!!

I have seen this over and over!

and look here for parts lucky for me they are 1.5 miles from my house
    http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=frt13flx&from=2

you are also makeing a wise choice by not rushing into the project
    make a plan collect the parts
    then do the build!

11. Really?? THIS is what is stopping your plan??

OK, listen close: "Engine swap" really means "Driveline swap". And THAT means radiator to differential WILL BE SWAPPED. Some exceptions, but no one has ever heard of them.

Sorry to sound harsh, but better now than after the truck is beyond help.

Cosmo

12. johnod

johnod

Drive shaft is no big deal.
    If it needs to be shortened you get your measurements take it to a place that does drive shafts, bingo they shorten and balance it, give them a hundred dollars.
    Go home and install.

13. fatkoop

fatkoop

Ditto. The drive shaft is usually the LEAST of your problems. Things like header clearance, enough cooling capacity, wiring issues, steering clearance, the list goes on and on. Early on, the easiest swaps for me were to get a good donor car and put the entire drivetrain, or most of it, (with some mods) into whatever you want. That way, AT LEAST most of the major parts are designed to work together.

14. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Its not stopping my plan its just a future idea, and I'm gettin my questions out of the way before I start. Thanks for all the help guys..

15. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Thanks for the help fatkoop. That's the idea I had. I actually found an old Lincoln with a 460 and auto, running car for $500. Thinkin about that set up, just tryin to get the body done for now.

16. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

Wow? Drive it with the 223. Don't pull it until you have as many parts as you think you need and $1000 cash. The drive shaft is a very small part and one of the LAST things you need.

17. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

A running Linc With a 460 & auto for $500??????? where? i'll come and pick it up! :eek:

18. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Those came with a Yblock from the factory. Find a donor & go for it if you decide on a Yblock. T5 will bolt right up w/an adapter. Plenty of info available out there on that.

19. sunbeam

sunbeam

The rearend in your 62 is plenty stout but if your top speed is 60 the ratio must bo pretty deep.

20. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

It was on craigslist but the ad got deleted before I got to it. I ended up gettin a 390 FE out of a 68. 50$ complete motor, only problem is it smokes. I'll drive the 223 for a while, it still sounds badass straight piped. Rebuilding the 390 will be the next project. For now its almost ready for paint.