Register now to get rid of these ads!

U bolts - round or square?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornbinder52, Jan 24, 2013.

1. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to order some lowering blocks for my 50 Chevy and there is an option for u bolts on jamco website. What's the difference and which ones do I want? There is no price difference. Didn't find anything when I searched it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Never seen square ones.

3. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me either. I'm not even sure what they are referring to.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Square ones are for torque tube axle equipped cars. The go over the axle pads, NOT the axle.

Round ones are for non-torque tube cars, where the u-bolts go all the way around the axle.

If you have a torque tube axle still you want the square ones.

If you have retrofit (or somebody else did) another axle, you want the round ones.

5. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see. I still have the torque tube rear so I will need the square ones. Makes sense.

6. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks gimpy!

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I've seen a lot of other cars use square. It's a matter of how the pads configured. Why not just look under your car?

8. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not sure what they meant. After the explanation and a peek under the car it makes sense. For some reason I thought they were referring to the stock profile, not bent shape. Just wasn't clicking.

9. 5window

5window

Before you order from any company, do a search here on the HAMB. Maybe you will find what you read about JAMCO sort of interresting. Good luck with your build.

10. Jamco's reputation had really went downhill in the last few years.,,ask a lot of questions befor spending your hard earned fun tickets! HRP

11. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered lowering blocks. The main reason being they have a movable pin for the original rear or open drive rear because of the different placement. That way if I switch out the rear end, I won't have to toss and reorder the blocks.

12. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mind you I am not dismissing your warning, just didn't find what I needed from anyone else. The pin relocation thing is a simple mod on solid blocks, but I don't have a drill press and I looked at having a local machine shop make some and it was going to be more than the jamco blocks shipped. I am hoping for the best, and I am going to call them to get an eta on them tomorrow. I do appreciate the heads up.

13. 5window

5window

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Square go over the springs and bolt to the spring plate, where round go over the axle and bolt to the spring plate. The two locations are perpendicular to each other. Most use round on a rear axle, and many use square on front axles where perch plates are welded to the axle.

15. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I forgot to update you guys. Blocks arrived in a week or two. Just what I was hoping for, but I will say communication was poor. I never was able to call them, line was alway busy. Anyway, I got my blocks and I must say I am a very happy customer. On to the notch!

16. Glad to hear that they actually shipped them.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013