Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guage wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66nova383, Feb 20, 2013.

1. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

I am in the process of wiring up Autometer gauges in the dash of my Austin.I could use some input on how to do this with out making a rats nest out of it.All the gauges are electric,so lots of wires in a small area.From left to right I have volts,temp,oil,and fuel.Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

2. Hugh in NC

Hugh in NC

Well, you could buy one of those high priced factory made gauge wiring harness. Or, you could just make your own. Run 1 wire to all gauges as a ground for the gauge and light. Run 1 wire to all the lights. Then 1 wire of a different color to each gauge. Go to Radio Shack or your FLAPS and buy a male and female wire connector that has enough connections that you need. Remember to include the wires for speedometer. Bundle the wires with zip ties to keep them neat. Leave enough slack in the wires so you can pull the cluster out of the dash before unplugging it. The other side of the plug goes to all the senders, ground, light switch, speedo sender, etc. Looks complicated but just do 1 gauge at the time and it is simple. Good luck.

Hugh

3. 66nova383

66nova383
    from oregon

I don't have a problem wiring the gauges thats fairly symple,Its more of a neatness thing,trying to keep it clean and organized.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm with the zip ties,...you can buy some really small ones that will keep it all neat.

4TTRUK

5. lht

lht

i'd spend the little cash 40 bucks and save yourself time and sanity

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

7. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I do the same as Hugh. Just do a nice loop from one connection to the other. Match all the loops and it will look great

8. my55f100

my55f100
    from Utah, USA

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I bought a couple of terminal blocks from Radio Shack and glued them to the back of the dash. All light leads go to one block, all power to another etc. That way I have one power lead, one ground, one gauge light(attached to the headlight switch) and three sending unit leads. Lots of wire ties keep it neat. I can say it's my work and not a store bought item. Do all the work with the dash out and you do not have to spend hours under the dash.

10. lht

lht

check speedway they have cheap gauge harness