Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed: Sharpening drill bits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjkas1, Feb 20, 2013.

1. agreed on the drill doctor, I dig it.

2. Curt B

Curt B

Any 2 nuts with the flat sides together will amount to a 120 degree included angle which is acceptable for general purpose use. When pointing drills freehand pay close attention to the symmetry of the cutting edges as if one is longer than the other it will cut twice the difference oversize. Clean a drill doctor after each use to keep its accuracy.

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

Same here. An old time machinist taught me how to hand sharpen drill bits. It's a bit of a practiced art. Today I use Drill Doctor gets the right pitch and tip angle. Then after that I just dress the drill between sharpening.

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

In a pinch I use my angle die grinder with a course roloc wheel

5. Curt B

Curt B

This is no doubt the place where all drill grinding experts hang. I supervise a bunch of red seal journeyman machinists less than half of which can repoint a drill freehand that cuts less than. 005" oversize. Drill nomenclature is very involved to truly master accurate regrinding and when hole size is important its not as easy as it looks.

6. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The experimental aircraft guys, that have to drill thousands of rivet holes in their projects, seem to like the Drill Doctor.

7. Graham08

Graham08

Belt sander here, too. Like it better than the bench grinder.

8. nugget32

nugget32

Vail, AZ is east of Tucson.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have a Drill Dr and love it for bits under a half inch. It really does a good job. For bigger ones I went on line and watched some YouTube videos on how to sharpen them on a grinding wheel and found out I was doing it all wrong, no wonder mine never were sharp. After I learned how to do them I was able to sharpen bits up to an inch and bigger with great results.

My suggestion is to go on YouTube and put in "How to sharpen drill bits". There are some hokey videos, but also some very good ones by guys who explain it and show it well.

Don

10. yellowf100

yellowf100
    Member Emeritus

there are different versions of the drill dr. a commercial grade which works great and a home depot version which wont even sharpen a pencil

11. Fenders

Fenders

Actually southeast.... I've driven by the turn off on I-10 many times.... I think there's a hot rod restaurant there now ... always wondered who the town was named for....

Photo of Samuel Morse's first telegraph key made by Alfred Vail....

http://www.150.si.edu/150trav/remember/r818.htm

12. OK now this .005 oversize changed everything.

I was taught how to sharpen drills 30 years ago by a 70 year old dutch machinist. Its not hard to do if you pay attention to someone whos showing you and have them watch a couple that you do with some feedback. At least for me it wasn't to get them repointed. I have more trouble with the smaller (less than 5/32) ones than the bigger ones. He showed me how to do augers, paddles and forstner bits too.

Holding that .005 by eye free hand on a grinder is more than likely a God given talent and not something you can learn. Kind of like these no filler needed panel beaters.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Me too! My dad could sharpen them right up on the bench grinder. Me? I turn them in to scrap!

14. tjkas1

tjkas1

Well my goodness...I'm lovin' this place. Thanks for all the wonderful input. I'll check out those videos. In the mean time it looks like a few will have to go to the shop for some serious rehab, while I practice not messing them up too bad. Ended up buying a couple fresh ones to finish up the task at hand. Thanks again!

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I use my hand-held die grinder equipped with a roto-loc sanding disk. Works fine for me.

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

Buy a good set of Matco bits and turn them in for new ones when they they get dull.

17. Mart

Mart

One tip I can pass along for hand sharpening is to hold the drill up to the light and use your other hand to form a circle that you look through to eyeball the tip of the drill. Focussing only on the silhouette of the tip makes it easier to judge if the grinding is equal on each side.

Mart.

18. That's how I do it.

19. BobMcD

BobMcD

I like my drill doctor. The bits are sharp and stay sharp for a long time.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

There's sharpining so they will cut and then there's sharpining so they will drill a true hole.

21. Curt B

Curt B

Drill Doctors are made by Darex Corp. which is the brand name for thier industrial models. With heavy use the collets wear out from grinding grit so avoid well used ones. The other is a Pine universal, the best there is IMO and the style to look out for.

Attached Files:

22. white64

white64
    from Maine

I noticed on my Drill Dr that the marks on the dial were off a few marks so when I sharpened them (before I discovered this) the drill points were lower than the trailing shoulder of the tip and the damn things couldn't get enough bite drill pine boards.

23. llonning

llonning

I just use my Darex M5, up to about 1-1/2" bits. It will also split the point and thin the web. Works great.

24. no55mad

no55mad

Get a 'drill point gage' for free handing on a grinder. They come in different $ values - they are available on EEEEEEEEEEEbay.

25. morac41

morac41

Hi ... I have done mine freehand on a bench grinder for 58 years....there is some skill involved in the angle and rolling the drill.. but once you get it.... you would never use a tool stand again....my uncle was a toolmaker and taught me when I was about 14 how to do it....... any thing over an inch I take them to a tool maker to sharpen.....

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, due to this post, I spent the afternoon in the basement sharpening all my drill bits that needed it..........thanks for motivating me ! :D

27. i always do it on the bench grinder. on a side note, i work in a workshop full of mechanics, some who have been in the game for a lot longer than me and i'm the only one aside from the boss who knows how to do it. the only reason i know how to do it is because the grumpy old bastard i did my apprenticeship with gave me a great big box of blunt drill bits one day and told me not to come back until they were all prefect, i was there for almost a whole day

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Haha, when I bought my Drill Dr I did the same thing. I had a huge box of dull bits and I sat on a stool and over the span of a few nights I had them all nice and sharp and sorted by size. It was kinda theraputic. :D

It's so nice to reach for a bit now and have it actually sharp enough to drill through something.

Don

29. the bit should not come toa point it should have a flattened S curve... I ran a very expensive drill point re storing machine years ago as an aspiring machinist.. look at a new bit and see what I mean

30. Curt B

Curt B

I AM the grumpy old bastard but it takes my guys years not days to get it right. Anybody who mastered this in a day fucked up not becoming a machinist.