Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 66 f100 project Sick Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SixtySix Ford, Feb 13, 2013.

1. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Well the time is getting near close to start on my 66. To fill everyone in on my truck, I had taken it to a local hot rod shop/so called friend of mine. And that ended up being a total joke and waste of my time and money. So after it sitting there for 3 months with hardly anything done to it (and me getting jerked off) I got it back! Even fought with him for another 3 weeks just to get my truck back in my own hands! :cussing: So after I blew off my steam and calmed down about that whole mess I am ready to start on it myself! Rather then go with my plan "A" with it getting a ground up resto....I am going with plan "B".... Now let me state that I am not going this route for speed or the most power! I have a mustang that I race for speed and power! So I dont really care how much power my build makes at this point.....

I am first starting with a rebuild of my 352 FE thats in the truck right now. I am going to port and polish the iron "R" (poor mans CJ) heads that are on it. I will have the bottom end redone with all new parts, ARP bolts and studs all around. I will also add a nice custom grind hyd. roller cam with roller lifters and rockers. I am also going with a Edelbrock Victor intake long tube headers, with MSD ignition and 4150 carb on top.

I am also, more then likely going to can the 4 speed thats in it now and do a T-5 swap behind the FE! So with all that I am gonna flip the rear end with a small C notch! I am also going to keep my I beam style fronts suspension (for now) and order some drop beams from AIM. And my over all Minimum goal is 6" in the front and 7 to 8 in the rear. :) This only a part time deal till I get more money, space and time to do my plan "A"... So I am going this route with my limited time space and money right now... :(

As for paint paint and body work, that will be last on the list! But for now its gonna stay in its current state! Unless I can scrape up some extra money for a little paint and body work.......:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I'll be following your build,I have a '65 in the barn awaiting it's return to the road but It is gonna need a lot of work.

Use to be a Custom Cab but after I wrecked it I de-chromed it repainted it black and added flames back in '77. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. mattrod68

mattrod68

great!! if i can answer any questions or shoot any pics of mine for you let me know, always happy to help a fellow slick owner!

if you ditch the mirrors let me know i need a pair!

cant wait for the progress

matt

4. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Thanks fellas! I am lookin forward to starting on it in the next few days! I am hoping to get the engine and drop done before May or June! Mine also started life as a custom cab and I have since installed the round speedo and deleted all the custom cab interior.

What truck do you have Matt?

5. mattrod68

mattrod68

[​IMG]

its lower now with new beams, and a few other tweaks but no super up to the minute photos. it is a 1966 camper special deluxe, so a custom cab basically.

matt

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

7. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Looks like a nice clean ride Matt! I am going with the AIM I beams with a little extra tweaking to the frame to get the 5 to 6 inches im hoping for. Im hoping to get my beams ordered late next month...

8. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Nice truck! Glad I ran into your build thread, just bein down the road from ya. It'd be cool to have our trucks running around together.

9. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Indeed! It would be! I use to live off Broadway and Belleview....Now im in the DTC. I also have another buddy Mike that just finished up his 65! I also wouldnt mind havin a Slick day at a Golden curise sometime! :D

10. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Sounds like a good idea. I live really close to Broadway and Belleview. Maybe sometime we can give each other some motivation.

11. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Hell yeah Im always up for meeting and hanging out with fellow gear heads!!!

12. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Has anyone ever painted on white walls on their tires before?

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

the aim beams are 3 inch to get the drop your talking about will require chopping coils off and you will bottom out !
    you have the same frame as the bump side gang (67-72) check out this forum
    http://fordification.com/ they have several threads on proprly lowering a f100
    seriously look into doing a crown vic swap on it you will get the drop you want
    and gain monster brakes and rack and pinion steering
    swapping in a rear from a 2002 and older crown vic/marquis/towncar will also get you a disc rear
    explorer rears fit also can you say (31 spline 3.73 posi) 8.8 the IRS from a thunderbird/cougar/mark VIII is also a cool swap
    good luck with your build
    4/5/6 slick sides look so cool
    and with the t5 swap you will have a highway screamer!

14. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Thanks for your reply! :) Let me be honest here and say that the CV front end was a big part of my plan "A" plan. And I fully agree that its the best bang for the f100s for front end swaps. But as of right now its just not in my cards for right now. However I will make it back to my plan "A" someday.....right its just not gonna happen.

I plan on cutting at least 1 coil off the front springs but no more then that. I am gonna do some cutting/mods to the cross member where the I beams mount too, to get the extra 2-4 inches....

15. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Justa general update here....I maybe getting a 64 f250 to add to my projects. ...however I may use it as a parts truck. Because I think its got some better body parts then mine does.....I also may part it out if anyone should need something off it. And it has a running 292 if I remember right!?

16. 4444Design

4444Design

looks like a interesting project

will follow

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

cv swap will cost you less that dream beams look up my profile at my f100
    mine has 1 and 1/2 coils chopped and front spring hanger is flipped
    gave it a nice stance but it does bottom out on michigan roads

18. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

I understand whatcha sayin but I do not have a garage that I can work in or store my truck while im working on it! I can only work on my truck at work after hours! Other wise if I had the space to keep it down for a few weeks I would! This is why im going with this plan B! When I get to the I beams I will surely take lots of pics and info how I plan on getting my 6 inch drop in the front! :)

19. Good luck on your build. I'm doing my dad's 66 as I write this. It was my high school truck 34 tears ago, and my first vehicle I did the body work on and painted. In the dirt floor shed. (I did wet the floor down first!) Anyways, been doing and teaching auto body now for 30 years and hope to paint it this summer. I went all out on it this time and installed a Fat Man front end and flipped rear. Still assembling. I know it's not traditional in the restoration sense, but I don't care, it's gonna be mine.

20. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

If you do get it what would you want for the 292 and tranny? I've been thinking about puttin one in my truck. No need for shipping I'll just drive down the road and pick it up..

21. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

I have a long bed 66 F100 myself I am working on. Why are you considering a Victor intake for that? In my opinion you would be better off with a Performer RPM for a heavy vehicle. Are you going to make the engine a 390? Crank rods and new pistons will do the trick. I don't know how long a T5 will last either behind a modified FE. They have enough problems with a lighter mildely modified Mustang.

22. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Sounds like a bad ass project! Do you have a build thread of yours some where? wanna paint mine? :D

My friend backed out of the deal! I told him I would take his 64 for him owing my money back. And he said he would rather keep his truck and pay me my money back...so we shall see how it goes. But I will keep you posted if things should change!

Well its more less just for looks really....I am not lookin to break tranny or rear ends with this truck... I have a nice mustang that feeds my speed freak needs! :eek:

23. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Originally Posted by bluebolt [​IMG]
    I have a long bed 66 F100 myself I am working on. Why are you considering a Victor intake for that? In my opinion you would be better off with a Performer RPM for a heavy vehicle. Are you going to make the engine a 390? Crank rods and new pistons will do the trick. I don't know how long a T5 will last either behind a modified FE. They have enough problems with a lighter mildely modified Mustang
    If its looks you want get an old Edelbrock F262 dual quad manifold or a new Edelbrock Performer RPM dual quad. Better looks and street performance than that Victor!

24. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

I think the dual carb looks cool but just isnt my style. :confused: Plus the Victor will be better for me when I convert it to DFI down the road...:)

25. uzername

uzername
    from Virgina

You make any progress on dropping the front end? I wanted to get mine that low without a CV swap. Mainly cause Im stubborn.

26. warrior1

warrior1

Are you still going with AIM beams? I had bad luck with some of their products for my suburban. The spindles they sent me look like they had been machined by Ray Charles. They were shit. I sent them back, had to argue with them so they would pay shipping and they sent me a less shitty pair of spindles. I used them but had to do some mods to make them work.
    Shackles didnt match from left to right side.
    I wouldnt use them. I have heard several similar remarks from other guys. Bad quality and the worst return policy in the business. Do a search on them.
    However, I know that budget can be a big issue sometimes. But be aware.

27. uzername

uzername
    from Virgina

Well the problem here is that AIM and Chassis Tech are really the only companys that make them. There may be more, but I havent heard about them. I have heard some bad things about AIM also, but I don't really see much other choice.

28. SixtySix Ford

SixtySix Ford

Sup fallaz!?! Sorry Ive been MIA for a bit but sometimes life happeneds! :( I haven't really done much of anything to the truck! Ive had to move 2 times in the last couple months! :mad: And now were getting ready to move again! But this should be the last time for a good while!

So Ive have heard good and bad about AIM and DJM! :confused: The reason I was gonna go with the AIM ones is because I saw someone else post some pics of them both (AIM and DJM) and the AIM ones had like a 4" drop over the 3" of DJM! However both list their I beams at 3 inches!? With that being said. My ultimate goal is, Im trying to hold out for a set of Sid's re-worked stock axles for my truck! I have heard nothing but great things about Sid and his work. And as a matter of fact I emailed him last night about the I beams. So I am waiting for a reply as of now...The last time I asked Sid he said, that he needed to rework his jig and that was a couple months ago....so Im hopping he was able to get it done?! I am dying to get started on it because Im so done and sick of the stock ride height! ugh! And I am itching to get started on it and get something done on it! :(

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

Sids is going to start dropping dual I beams??????

tell me more

30. mattrod68

mattrod68

that would be awesome!!