Register now to get rid of these ads!

This motor has me puzzled.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Grampa, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Boat anchor my ass!

[​IMG]

It delivers plenty of power and torque to haul roadster with original malual trans+overdrive...

Get out of the box and start think yourself , these motors really have potential and i have a plan to make some hop-up parts for it. At least intake manifolds and aluminium heads. Hope that i get the time for it soon.

I have driven this thing now over 10 000 miles without anything else than a blown clutchplate , and it handles ok , i have a spike tires for it too and i´m going to see how it handles on the ice-track....

2. I wouldn't hold my breath for anyone to make intakes or heads for that motor..

3. Bigjake

Bigjake

Edmunds did back in the day. Also your roadster is awesome Von Gardan!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Wasn't there a guy in Oregon that was making intakes for this engine?

5. Yes.

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just Google "Ken Austin's rod shop". He cast his first 3 X 2 manifold for the 337 he installed in a '39 Ford convertible sedan back in 1952. He currently has patterns for and can cast several different manifolds and, as of this point, may even have heads available.

As a long time admirer and advocate of this engine, I'm always amazed at the negativity that is expressed everytime the subject comes up-usually from people who have no personal experience with it. From a practicality standpoint, it stands right there with all the other Flathead Fords & Mercs as well as Flathead Cadillacs and 235 Chevys.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Thats why. Double the weight and only 1/3 more HP.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Or equal the weight and have 1/3 the power (Flathead Ford vs SBC).

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Hot Rod Grandpa, is there a radiator in the truck with a really big upper tank? If so... any chance it might be for sale?

thanks
    Zach

10. Charlie Fernandes

Charlie Fernandes
    from Ceres, CA

The 337 in Lincoln has hydraulic lifters and the F7-F8 Ford Truck uses solid adjustable lifters. I am building a hot rod and looking for a set of the solid lifters. Be CAREFUL of cracks. My Lincoln looked really good but magnaflux found 9 cracks in the block. It can be repaired but adds to the cost

27sedanratrod

11. I was plannig the making heads with CNC , but lets see , meanwhile i enjoy the smooth torque and oldskool appearence of that old flattie.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. flathead 37

flathead 37

Hey. Im 20 years old and going through machinist school. Just bought one of these motors and have BIG plans for it. I made this four carb race intake for it, and have mechanical fuel injection, billet heads, and more to come. Also starting to get into casting. Its really exciting to see someone else explore this motor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    chrisp, williebill, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  13. Awesome.

14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Like it or not, this motor sounded the death knell for the Ardun OHV conversions, which were originally conceived to provide more power for Ford trucks. The 337 Lincoln cost way less to manufacture and as has been noted above was used in both 1949-1951 Lincolns and Ford trucks. BTW, the 48 Lincoln mentioned above would have come with a V-12 so the 337 V8 was probably no heavier and had more HP and way more torque. Acquired a 41 Continental many years ago with a 337 conversion. Fit fine in the engine bay wit no mods and ran well, probably much better than the V-12.

15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Flathead 37- that's a cool intake !

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Flathead 37: Bet there's some geometry in the throttle linkage!
    Beautiful CNC work there, and as you mentioned: keep on casting!

17. flathead 37

flathead 37

Yup, working on making the linkage as well as casting some carb risers right now

18. loudbang

loudbang

So in machinist's school they don't teach the difference between an ENGINE and a motor? :rolleyes:

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

saw a pic of the new aluminum heads the other day. $1,400 is the price that sticks in my mind...

20. flathead 37

flathead 37

Websters dictionary definition of motor: A machine that produces motion or power for doing work.
    I guess your'e right. A motor cant be internal combustion. Either that or motor is just a less specific term that includes a large array of machines whether they be piston driven, driven by electricity, turbine, ect...

loudbang likes this.
  21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I think it would really be unusual enough to want to use and to overcome the added engine weight you can simply add heavier springs & shocks to compensate for the weight.
    If you want something different & interesting I say go for it and be DIFFERENT than the crowd.

My 46 Coupe with the modified 235 inline six really draws a crown of the public at all the local shows because they can see so many that have the big V8 engines all the time most everywhere they go those big engines just get ho hum to much of the public & they go nuts over my inline 6 with the chrome & 2 carbs in an original body.
    I remember back in mid 50's when I first got into hot rodding in my mid teens our timing association I Shreveport bought an old Cadilac ambulance to haul all our equipment out to the Mansfield air strip when we had our monthly drags. I know it was a flathead with more than 8. Just cannot remember is it was a v 12 or 16 as I believe they had used both. Was an early 40's vehicle. I always wished had bought that thing when the club scrapped out. Bet that engine was one heavy sucker.
    Could have built a hot rod of a different nature with that big thing.
    Some just like em big and different.
    Jimmie

22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford didn't make engines. It's Ford Motor Company.
    Not sure where you would go to get an engine...everyone in what used to be Detroit seems to be in the motor business.

flathead 37 and williebill like this.
  24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steam Engine...external combustion
    Electric Motor....external combustion
    What are we going to do with all you Engine Heads?
    Glad to see a youngster in machinist's school working on a motor project. Are you going to use an engine lathe for any of the work you have planned?
    Nice intake and like to see installed on the finished product be it engine or motor

25. Isn't an engine lathe powered by a motor? :confused:

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fooey. It's above freezing today, so I'm going to forget about the linguistics and go for a ride on my Enginecycle.

Jet96 likes this.
  27. Of course unless its powered by an engine.............
    If we ever said motor instead of engine in HS Auto shop the teach would have failed us..................

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

A MOTOR just distributes potential power introduced to it like ELECTRICITY it doesn't make it's own usable power. An engine MAKES usable power from FUEL or another form of COMBUSTION like STEAM.

Torana68 likes this.
  29. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Supposedly you can tell approximately how old a woman is by her first name. Or, what pattern her best silverware is, and if she even has a set of silverware.

I'm thinking the insistence of "motor is" and "engine is" may be a similar vintage indicator for enthusiasts and shop teachers.

1937 American Bantam press release announcing Harry A Miller (yes THAT Harry Miller) is VP of engineering.
    http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/A...Release/1937-American-Bantam-Press-Release-01

If the archeologist is investigating fossils of the transportation industry was less than middle age, the naming of many car companies (FOMOCO, GM, AMC, and Harley Davidson was quite consistent, and the names of which have carried "motor" pretty consistently) .

Yes, even the brochures of various "motor companies" sometimes refer to the prime mover as an engine.
    That is not in conflict with what "is" means.

regards to all,

Dan T