Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old New Guy in South Dakota

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by aldrowsboy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. aldrowsboy

aldrowsboy

I'm a 1947 vintage baby boomer farm boy with a life-long love for '48 Ford F-1 pickups. My Dad bought one at a Highway Department auction in the early 50's, painted it in a neighbors shop and it became my "poor-boy's hot rod" and Dad's grain hauler starting in the late 50's & early to mid 60's. Will post pictures later.
    I'm finally getting to building my replacement for Dad's pickup, It's a 48 Ford F-1, 350 small block Chevy and Chevy automatic transmission, Camarro front clip and rear end. Should be pretty stock appearing but will use as my main transportation for all my driving including trips to see kids, vacations, road trips, daily driver, etc.
    Chassis, engine and drive train done minus shortening the drive shaft and wiring. Body work now underway and cab should be going back on shortly when painted. Will be painted 2002 Ford Performance Red with tan leather interior on '98 Cadillac electric seats - Classic Auto Air HVAC.
    Tan leather intended to blend with original color of the radio hole filler panel and plastic grate. With the red paint and tan interior, I think I'll be satisfied with the look and I want it to be as comfortable as possible for long trips. I have a medical condition with sore joints, body, etc so comfort is important if it's going to get used.
    Sorry for the length of the post but that's me - I'm very enthused about my project and love to tell about it and learn from other's experience.
    I am not a skilled mechanic or rod builder but am the researcher and checkbook guy and have a fine mechanic, body guy and interior guy to do top quality work on my life-long hot rod dream.
    Have a post to write on radiator/cooling issues & plans so will proceed to that post now. I'm happy to be part of the world-wide thing that's going on here and am grateful to have such a great resource at my finger tips. Thanks very much.

2. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

sounds like it'll be a good ride, just right for them long dakota highways. Welcome, you'll fit right in.

3. aldrowsboy

aldrowsboy

Thanks, appreciate your response.

4. UniqueCollector

UniqueCollector

Welcome from Minnesota

5. Welcome !

Those BLM Lands can be a goldmine of cars ... ;)

Jim

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Welcome from Colorado,
    I'm from Rapid City & my wife is from Sioux Falls (Hartford) sounds like you like having fun! enjoy your stay here--chuck

7. welcome from the coast of SC,and dam we have snow on the ground

8. aldrowsboy

aldrowsboy

Since I’m a new guy maybe I can ask a dumb question. I want to get the HAMB members expertise on how to handle upgrading my existing 48 Ford radiator or getting a new one. Have lots of ideas and approaches after surfing the Internet but want input from members who have had experienced with this. However, I can’t figure out how to start a new thread. Where on the HAMB site do I go to start a new thread on the ’48 Ford F-1 Pickup Radiator Problem thread - ??

9. The start of forum - first page - click on start a new thread.

10. aldrowsboy

aldrowsboy

Thanks, let me give that a try.

11. chubbie

chubbie

welcome to the HAMB from NW Iowa. doesn't seem as tho there are many here from sioux falls. we built a lot of houses in the area.

12. IAVWGUY

IAVWGUY

Welcome from Sioux City, Ia.

13. ccrodder

ccrodder

Welcome from the Twin Cities

14. rocksolidnate

rocksolidnate
    from Viroqua Wi

Hello from Viroqua Wi

15. Welcome to the HAMB from Kansas City