Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoulder harness without a rollbar?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37_chevy, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I'm building a '56 Chevy gasser. It will see a little track time, but mostly a street machine. I don't want to run a roll bar with a bar behind the front seats as it would make it hard to get people in the back seat.

Is there a way to attach the shoulder harness to the floor? Does anybody know who makes a set that would be long enough to reach from the floor, over the shoulders and back down to the lap belt?

Thanks for your ideas!

2. If you attach your belts to the floor in a crash it will compress your spine and maybe break your back. The shoulder straps should be 90* to your sholders. Not safe the way you are looking at doing it.

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Shoulder harnesses shouldn't be attached to the floor - in the event of a crash it will pull down on your body compressing your spine. It needs to be attached at shoulder level or maybe slightly below, to a roll bar or cross bar. You may be able to run a connecting strap back to the package tray, if you can get a good solid connection point there.

4. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I didn't think about it that way. Maybe they'll just have to crawl over the roll bar.
    Thanks!

5. you can have a removable cross bar.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

how fast is it going to be ---might not need one...

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep, I have one in my Sedan that bolts in across the main hoop.

I leave the shoulder belts permanently on it and just put it in when I am racing as there are 3-point retractable belts in it for the street.