Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford coupe barn find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ss34coupe, Jul 16, 2012.

1. I really do understand what you are saying. How do you propose he keeps the bare metal that you see all over that car from rusting? Spot it in to match? What's so original about that? Loses the appeal in my book at that point. I can see if it had original faded paint all over it and a few small rubbed throughs here and there. And if it had some verifiable history besides just being another old 34 3 window. Patina only goes so far. He lives in British Columbia. The moisture level is off the charts there. Just saying.

2. tinmann

tinmann

It just keeps getting better and better, Steve. The only car I've ever had that came close to that sort of overall condition was a '28 tudor that I had 25 years ago. Original green paint on 95% of it. I stupidly cut it up for parts to fix a sport coupe that had spent time as a target on a shooting range. Ah, youth! Where's my time machine?

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Curbspeed - I hear what you are saying, and I have the same concerns. There are a lot of bare patches on the body, and I would have to figure out a way to deal with that in order to keep this patina look. I am not so worried about where I live because this car will always be kept indoors, and only taken out on sunny days. There is lots of time to decide which way to go, and right now I am interested in hearing your ideas, guys and gals!

Tinmann - the condition of this body amazes me too. I have been actively collecting 33-34 Ford coupe parts since 1986, and this is easily the best body I have come across in that time. Hope your 32 is coming along, and did I hear someone say that you have a 33 cabriolet stashed away?

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A close up showing the color. Anyone know what blue this is, I don't think it was a stock 34 Ford color, but was a repaint at some point in its life. Want to try to find a match to cover up the bare spots if I stay with the patina look.

Attached Files:

5. rustymetal

rustymetal

this 34 3 window was in a container for 25 years nova scotia car

Attached Files:

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is very close to the color of my coupe! What is the story on this car? Do you have it now?

7. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

Can't help you on the history of that colour Steve. It's interesting that the firewall was painted a royal blue-not even close to that. Yes I built the garage first for that car. We slept in a tent til the house was ready-but the cars-they got the first roof ,every time!! Den

8. tinmann

tinmann

I do. It's pretty bad. Nothing that a thousand hours of metalwork can't fix.

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Yes, Dennis, it looks like the firewall and rim of the cowl were painted dark blue after the modifications were made to fit whatever V8 they were trying to use. Rumour has it that there was a 427 Ford engine in there at one point. Will spend some more time trying to find out the history of this coupe to determine whether there is anything to the rumour.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Daryl - we want to see pictures! A 33 cabriolet is worth the effort!

11. tinmann

tinmann

It's buried in storage behind deuces, Steve. I don't think I have a single picture of it. Try to visualize a car that spent time as a jalopy stock car back in the day and didn't win any races and you pretty much have it pictured. Some day it will get some love.

12. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Funny - I drug my '33 Sedan home from 'just' north of Nanaimo, Campbell River area I think. It spent it's life on a farm in Saskatchewan, originally dk blue. Not a coupe, but there must be a '33/'34 vortex up there :)

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I don't think there are that many 33-34 Fords in this area. Other than my two 34 three windows, I only know of one other 34 three window coupe on Vancouver Island - and it is made up of parts, fordor cowl, 33 doors etc.
    If there are more three windows here I would sure like to know about them.

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Working on putting this barn find coupe back together as a roller. A few new parts here and there, going to put the fenders, running boards, hood and grille on - all with the original patina. Even going to bolt the bumpers on. Will be taking some pics this weekend when it starts to go together.

15. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy Steve, good job

16. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Awesome find, really happy for you and look forward to more pics!

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

So my buddy Al and I put the chassis together and threw the body on. Going to put fenders, running boards etc on as well to make the car a roller. Here are a couple of pics....

Attached Files:

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks perfect just as it sits. Art on wheels.

19. Man, that body really is in amazing shape.

20. zjerry

zjerry

Nice find , That means Coupe's are still out there to be found. :)

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A couple of pics of the chassis before we put the body on. Changed the front spring to a reversed eye from the stock one, and put in 40 rear housings and axles (it had a 48 Ford rear) - otherwise all the parts are the ones that came with the car when it came out of the barn last July.

Attached Files:

22. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

It is definitely art on wheels, I am anxious to see the coupe put together
    with fenders, hood, grille and running boards and will post more pics as these parts are added.

Attached Files:

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

All these parts will be getting cleaned up and going on the coupe. The fenders are brown, not blue, so may have come from a different car at one time.

Attached Files:

24. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Man o man u have the upper hand.....I would love to own it!!!!that's my dream car nice car

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks Bluesman, it is my dream car as well - and you are right about Blues music!

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

fenders.....you may just start a whole new trend ,what a concept,who whould've thought,good on you. get all busy on your bad self.let's see what ya got

27. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

I could not agree more...fenders all the way cannot wait to see it...

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's a great coupe...definately a find of a lifetime. Can't wait to see more.
    Eric

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

yes, I think this should be built as a full-fendered car. The original fenders that came with the coupe are in good shape, so the plan for now is to just clean them up and throw them on.

30. Man I want that car!!