Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEED FITTERS! 33 - 34 Ford and 35 - 40 Ford Frame Boxing Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalfaber, Jan 23, 2013.

1. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

I need some fitment testers for 33-34 35-40 Ford Frame boxing plates!

Ok, looking for some of your guys help. We have had our Model T, A and 32 Ford Plates out for quite some time and have had request to do them for the 1933 - 1934 Fords and the 1935 - 1940 Fords, and haven't had a chance to get to them for a long time. I am finally getting to them, and have done initial fitting on the loaner frames that I have available to me and have spent a great deal of time getting them just right with size, how they are split, etc, but because I want the fitment of these to be the best there is available, I am looking for a few other people to test them on their installations and report back with pictures, notes, measurements on how they fit on their frame. This is important to me, as these frames have alot of curves and are old (as Henry isn't selling any new ones right now) and I want to insure that my loaner frames (i only had 1 of each available to me) didn't have any unnoticeable damage or irregularities which will become obvious with fitting them on multiple frames.

I currently have 1 fella that is working on the 33 -34's, but he is having some setbacks and it may be a little while yet till he can get to it. So I am looking for a couple other people that are wanting to do this.

What you get out of the deal, is one of our first few sets, a discount/partial refund after reporting back with pictures and info on the fit, and possibly having your chassis / car shown on our website and such as a customers installation.

The picture below is the 33 -34 set also showing a cutaway view of how they are made to fit, and the 35 - 40 ones will be basically the same as far as how they are split, fit, etc, just a different application obviously.

Either one right now will be $200 and $40 S/H as these sets are Heavy! (they are 10 gauge, slightly thicker than 1/8") Then when reporting back with decent information, I will refund you $50, and if I am super satisfied with pictures etc, I may throw in a little extra. I only need a few fitters, and its first come first serve, but if I don't have any takers Ill make the deal a little sweeter.

Also, a fellow HAMBer from Canada (he will probably show you his install later) asked me to make a set of rear frame stubs for his 34, as he was not pleased with the fit of some aftermarket ones he tried, so I did, and thought some of you might enjoy the eye candy. (I was happy with how they turned out)

Brian :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. I would love to help you if I had the cash. I am going to be boxing the frame on my '38 in the future.

But alas negative cash flow is a hinderance right now. I don't doubt that there will be someone here that is ready to box one.

3. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Porknbeaner, totally understandable, they should be going full force by the time your ready, just let me know when your ready if your interested. Im hoping so, time will tell.

Brian

4. Brian I will put you in my contacts so I can remember you. You can fab them cheaper than I can.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Are these going to be available, in the dimpled, like we discussed many moons ago?
    I just painted the first frame and the other one will be ready to box soon.

Thanks

6. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Yes both applications, and I have another fella waiting on them too, but I told him I wanted to get the the solids going first, and then Ill add the dimpled ones. I have you on my list of very patient people, but only as "Root on the HAMB". If you have a email and/or phone number you want me to add to the list, PM me. I have dedicated some time to getting things done past the ordinary everyday stuff and these were on the list and are finally getting attention, Im hoping we will get all done so I can cross them off the list and satisfy those waiting, but it just takes so much time initially. So many things to do, so little time. :)

Brian

7. Brian: I am in a similar situation as Roothawg in that I am repairing and modifying an original 34 frame and have already done a bit of the work. I have already boxed from the firewall forward. I am interested in boxing from the front of the X to the rear of the X where it meets back up with the side rail. It looks as though your plates are for a set of aftermarket rails (prior to cross members). Is that correct? Would love to have a set of the dimpled of course, when the time comes. Tim

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You have a ph. call!

9. I'll take a pair of 33-34 but only need the fronts as I'm bobbing off my rear rails...anything behind the stock kick-up over the axle will be changed on my car...sending a PM

Attached Files:

10. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

timwhit- so, you are talking about the center 2 pieces just inside of the X, and Dimpled then, correct? I can put you on my list, hopefully its not too long till we get that far. If you have an email or phone number you would like me to add with your name to my list, PM them to me.

They are actually fitted on an older original frame, (the main reasons I am wanting them tested on another frame)

brigrat- why yes I did, and I think it was you! :) I will hopefully talk with your buddy tomorrow. Also, when we were talking front stubs, were you talking about the 34 or the 36?

Rocky- You talking about not needing anything past the kickup for the rear axle correct? The rear (4th plate from front) kickup plate goes to the front of the rear crossmember. If this is correct, you would need all but the farthest rear plate (because its bobbed off)

OR...you are only needing the very first front plate (which ends at the front of the center X member)

Brian

11. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Well, I got the dimpled holes planned and laid out and hopefully will have pictures of them done tomorrow or Wednesday.

I also got a set of each of solids cut, so I will have I set of solids and 1 set of dimpled ones for the 33 - 34s and the 35 - 40s to send out. (a solid 33 set is pending, awaiting payment from a requester)

Just to Clarify, the solids will be $200 as mentioned, and the Dimpled plates will be $375 (like our 32s), as they require alot more work. Shipping is $30 - $40 and during this "Final Fitment Testing" stage, I will be offering the $50 plus refund for feedback and pictures as mentioned. I am hoping to hear back from, and refund 2 testers for each, but If I have an extra or 2, I wont turn them away.

Brian

12. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

The Dimpled versions first sets are done. I should be able to get pics up tomorrow.

brigrat - was the first hamber to try a 33 -34 set, went out today. Im looking forward to hearing back and seeing his install.

Brian

13. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Here are the 33 - 34 Ford Dimpled version, first set.

The holes are placed with crossmembers and such kept in mind.

The part left solid on the front plate is from just behind the front crossmember to the front tip of the frame. The other 2 solid areas in the center area of the plates are were the front and rear of the center X member join. The dimples are all kept spaced evenly, even at the center seam, and change sizes according to the frame to keep it all flowing very smoothly. At the very rear, the area right above the rear axle location is left solid to allow C notching if desired without disturbing the dimples. The very rear plate is not dimpled, as a portion of it is behind the rear crossmember, or cut off if you dont use it, and then the gas tank is located there also and you may trim a good portion of the rear plate off anways (depending on your build plans).

Other mounts, like motor mounts, pedal mounts, etc can be designed to attach between the hole locations, bridging them (like 1 side in front, and one behind) or covering them.

The way these are laid out, should work very well for most applications. If you need more or less holes here, there, or wherever, it can probably be done, but will be an entire custom set, or just certain sections, for an extra charge.

(Im working on taking pictures of the 35 - 40 ford set also, and they should be up shortly tonight, or tomorrow)
    Brian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  14. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Here are the 35 - 40 Ford Boxing Plates, both Solid and Dimpled versions, first sets.

As with the 33 - 34 plates, the holes were placed with crossmembers and such kept in mind.

The part left solid on the front plate is from just behind the front crossmember to the front tip of the frame. The other 2 solid areas in the center area of the plates are were the front and rear of the center X member join. Also, it was laid out so that if you are using a Convertible or a Station Wagons stock location extra brace in the center X member, it lands centered between 2 of the holes and will look like it belongs. The dimples are all kept spaced evenly, even at the center seam, and change sizes according to the frame to keep it all flowing very smoothly. At the very rear, the area right above the rear axle location is left solid to allow C notching if desired without disturbing the dimples. The very rear plate is not dimpled, as a portion of it is behind the rear crossmember, or cut off if you dont use it, and then the gas tank is located there also and you may trim a good portion of the rear plate off anyways (depending on your build plans).

Other mounts, like motor mounts, pedal mounts, etc can be designed to attach between the hole locations, bridging them (like 1 side in front, and one behind) or covering them.

The way these are laid out, should work very well for most applications. If you need more or less holes here, there, or wherever, it can probably be done, but will be an entire custom set, or just certain sections, for an extra charge.

There has been alot of time initially in measurements, drawing, cutting, fitting, adjusting, designing and adding the "Easy Weld" system, as well as laying out the holes to flow smoothly, look good and fit evenly. But I am happy with what I have ended up with, and am anxious to hear back from some of you and maybe get some pictures of installations as well.

Both the 33 - 34 and the 35 - 40 Ford sets are Complete Full Length Builders Choice type sets, that give you everything, but allow you to choose what you want boxed, and it can be boxed with crossmembers in, or with them out. If leaving them in, the locations of the breaks in the plates are located specifically for that reason as mentioned before.

Our 32 Plates are nice also, but dimples are a little tighter in spacing and evolved from a bare frame rail, so I may also eventually make some minor changes to the layout to be closer to how I did these applications, as I like them even better. What do you think?

Brian

Attached Files:

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

16. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Well, bad news, one of my fitters that is also a photographer called me today, and said things have come up and he isn't going to be able to come through after all. So, he is going to be sending the plates back to me.

Still looking for another tester or 2, both 33-34 and 35-40. If the deal Ive got on the table isn't good enough, but your interested, get ahold of me and we can work something out. (if your good to me, i will be more than happy to be good to you!)

Brian =)

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Brian, received the boxing plates yesterday, well packaged, look great. Having the '34 frame sandblasted this week. When I get the frame back I will be mocking things up and take some pic's! Thanks

18. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

Sounds Good! I will be waiting to see it come together!

19. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

I will be getting a couple sets of each ready to go and shipping out the sets that were ordered and not shipped yet hopefully by the end of this week.