Register now to get rid of these ads!

My little girls 1956 Dodge Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Carachi, Mar 26, 2011.

1. skull

skull

cool, see you on a friday this summer then,,,,,:D

Later :cool:

2. Brewpubeaver

Brewpubeaver

Very very cool build thread. IM in Pdx just started a 55' project. I know how hard deployments are.

Dave

3. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Well ya'll, it's been quite a while since I posted anything and a long ass time since I actually did anything to the truck. Long story short, I was in Afghanistan for part of 2011 and through June 2012. Got back to Washington and found out I was given pretty much the sweetest job in the Army and was moving to Texas. Got to Texas in August and since then the Army has been paying me to go back to college full time. So there you have it in a nutshell. But not to worry, the truck made the trip with me and is currently less than two hours away sitting at one of my father’s shops where I have access to four decades worth of tool accumulation.

When I got back to Washington from overseas I made the 45 minute trip out to my buddy’s house where the truck had been sitting for damn near a year. After dealing with the fact that the door popper solenoids had seized up, water had gotten in the fuel and obviously the battery was dead, we were able to bust her off without too much fan fare and drive it onto the trailer for its trip to Texas. The weather had not been great to her, but overall I wasn’t very disappointed. Of course the year overseas had given me a ton of time to come up with brilliant ideas and even round up some parts…I couldn’t wait to get her home.

As usual, she ended up sitting a little longer than planned as I first got used to being around my family again and secondly got used to the whole idea of being a college student again. But once the weather got cold (for whatever reason this always happens) I couldn’t stand it anymore and started making the trip back and forth to my dad’s to start moving forward again, and that’s pretty much where we are today.

My best purchase by far while gone was a set of mirrors for the doors. Probably not exactly what I would have specd or ordered, but I’m happy enough with the look and like most other things on a true hot rod, the story behind them is much better than the part itself (besides, they are actually American made).

They cost me $2500, and this is how I got them:

[​IMG]

Of course I couldn’t throw the packaging away so the bike got different mirrors, a slight makeover and now sits in my garage in glorious black (I still have no idea why you would paint a vehicle any other color, but that’s probably just me). And yes, for $2500 I stole it…but the guy wanted it to have a good home and knew I would give it one.

Anyway, here are the mirrors on the truck:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Second undertaking was the front brakes. I had ordered the parts from rustyhope.com and they were simply waiting to be installed. Old Daddy's workmanship is awesome by the way, and everything went together perfectly. On top of everything else it moved the front wheels out about an inch or so on each side (well within drag link adjustability range) which is something I wanted done anyway, so double plus for me. But as you can see, she now has much better shoes on her front feet for panic stops or awesome burnouts, whatever makes you happy:

[​IMG]

Speaking of front brakes; if anyone needs them let me know. I have the complete original cylinder, drum, shoe set for both sides. Cylinders had a half assed rebuild when I left but never bled off a bit, the drums are in good shape and the shoes have brand new liners. Hit me up, they can go away for cheap or even free if I like you enough.

While I was under the front end she got new shock absorbers and we modified the oil pan, which in turn allowed me to pull out the two bottom springs getting her to sit back down a little like I liked it before. Unfortunately, now I need to re-attack the rear end, but it won’t be too big a deal I just haven’t made it that far back yet.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also got some of those fancy windows you can see through:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I believe this made my daughter the happiest of anything else I’ve done so far (I think she was genuinely concerned I was going to leave pieces of black painted particle board as her door windows, silly girl).

But, here’s a couple of what I call “Proof of Life” pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The problem with my sweet ass assignment is that with all my free time I run out of money way before I run out of project, so soon I will have more parts arriving and I will start doing some work actually worth taking pictures of.

In the mean time though hit me up with any questions, concerns or updates of your own (especially you other Dodge truck guys, but I love seeing all updates and brilliant ideas.

One more thing, the damn fuel tank. She needs a new one. I’ve heard/read somewhere that an 80’s S-10 pickup tank fits pretty well but thought I would ask you guys before twisting off and ordering something.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. 73RR

73RR

Great to have you back in the 'world' !! Nice to have a little better 'job', the school deal is sweet...

Keep us posted as you move along.

5. Brewpubeaver

Brewpubeaver

glad you made it back, how is school?

kudos on the new job

6. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

pretty sweet dodge ive been trying to find some pictures of trucks with spoked rims with drum brakes and doesnt look bad at all! sweet truck

7. snot275

snot275

About time you bastard! Give me a call sometime!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 4msfam

4msfam

Wow! You read my mind.. Was hoping all was fine with you. Welcome back. That would be sweet pic of your bike in back of the Dodge. looks like you eliminated the side vent windows. Did you make your own window tracks?

Great work on the brakes! My daughter got busy, so I've taken over the project a bit and trying to get the new brake lines done so I can drive it around.

Can you shoot a pic of the undercarriage of your truck? I'd like to see how the tranny mounts with the 318.

9. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Brew, schools alright. Its taken some (and continues to do so) getting used to. I haven't been a college kid in almost two decades.

Browncow, if you read the whole thing, I have gotten more shit about those rims than just about anything else on the truck. Funny thing is about two months ago I ran across a guy getting rid of a set of 20's that were almost identical that I could have picked up for $200 (with decent tires). I'm all about cheap and probably would have done it, but it was Christmas time and my greedy children wanted presents and stuff. The drums don't look bad cleaned up and I honestly have no intentions of changing the rear to disc. It's never going to be a haul truck per se' and the 11" drums in the back are more than enough to lock up the rear.

4ms, next time I head to my dads I'll try to remember to get pics of the tranny mount. I know for a fact the motor mounts for the 318 are just about in the middle of the frame right above where your front brake lines run thought the frame rail (it was a pain in the ass to work around them and we need to re-weld the one on the driver side. Going off memory I think the tranny mounted onto an existing cross member (I don't think much was really added). As far as the windows, yeah I pulled out the side vents (figured that was easier than trying to find the parts to fix them). Didn't really have to build any rails, the electric window kit runs them straight up and down no problems. I need to put in new rails just to seal it better, but you buy it by the foot and i figure I will just extend them down further so they stay in the track. Even though there is the slight angle on the front of the door there is plenty of overlap to keep the window from jumping out of anything. And I feel you on the daughter...16 now and not the least bit interested in working on it, just wants to drive it.

10. 4msfam

4msfam

Thx! I looked over your pics.. really like the rake of the truck. How's it drive with the front springs out? Any bumpsteer issues? Softer?

I taught (or am teaching... jury is still out till the brake fluid goes in) myself how to flare those brakelines... all new in the process of going in. I'm not sure what took me so long to just try it.. it's actually kind of fun. What's not fun (and what I'm jealous of- your Dad's shop space looks great!) is working on my back, in the dirt, in the good old NW cold and rain. Keep the rubber down on that Blast!

11. 4msfam

4msfam

Thx! I looked over your pics.. really like the rake of the truck. How's it drive with the front springs out? Any bumpsteer issues? Softer?

I taught (or am teaching... jury is still out till the brake fluid goes in) myself how to flare those brakelines... all new in the process of going in. I'm not sure what took me so long to just try it.. it's actually kind of fun. What's not fun (and what I'm jealous of- your Dad's shop space looks great!) is working on my back, in the dirt, in the good old NW cold and rain. Keep the rubber down on that Blast!

12. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

I don't miss the rain, but the bitter cold wind here can suck. Everything I had done up to it coming here had been outside in the carport in Olympia, so I know your pain. And it's actually a XB9SX (CityX). I would have prefered a 12, but for $2500 I couldn't pass it up. The guy bought it new in 2007 and when I went and got it from his house this past summer it had exactly 2000 miles on it. It was one of those deals where his wife told him to get rid of it (he had a Ural sitting next to it in the garage that they actually ride) and so he did. Told you, I stole it. Well worth it for the mirrors.

I haven't driven the truck enough to tell you much about the suspension change yet. I still need to remove a couple of more springs from the rear and ultimately more from the front. The goal is to get it to set almost on the frame and install (gasp-air bags) to get the exact height and ride that I want. It's the best solution I could come up with to make the truck usable, stylish, and still spine friendly without doing a front clip or something drastic. The steering box isn't sloppy, but it isn't super tight either and like I said with the change in drag arm geometry I really need to take it down for an alignment (I just kinda eyeballed it for now). All that being said though, the next time I go see it will be to install a old GM style tilt column and start the search for a power steering box that will work (rumor has it an 80's Toyota will work-any ideas?), so the steering and suspension are both ongoing projects. How is your truck coming along, any updates?

13. Love the truck! Are those side windows safety glass? I was going to make some for mine but i havent cut safety glass before.

14. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Nah, just Lexan from Home Depot for now. Glass shop wanted like $100 a piece or so to cut me a couple and I didn't see the point in paying that till I got the new felt and wipers in (only want to pay that kind of money once if I can). Probably won't pass any kind of inspection, but it keeps cats and large bugs out.

15. oh right on, that lexan probably works just fine. Are you using universal felt and wipers? Or did you find OEM stuff?

16. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Not real sure, haven't got it yet, but I'm getting it from Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts
    http://www.oldmoparts.com/. As long as it fits and works, I don't care.

17. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Great thread...thank-you for your service to our country...cool project.

18. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Welcome back. Been watching for your truck to 'resurface' here. It's been an inspiration and source of good ideas. Hate to hear that glass is so much where you are. Mine were $40 each at the local glass shop. I yanked the side vents out immediately and made a template from 1/4 inch plywood and they cut the glass that day. It's laminated just like the original glass would have been. Used the window rubber from Bernbum's. Anyway, welcome back and keep posting updated pics.
    Steve-

19. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Steve, how did the rubber from Bernbaums work out? I only hit up place for glass that day (small town where my dad lives) but will have it here soon and will have more options. We'll see what it actually ends up costing when it's all said and done. Need to go ahead and get a back window while I'm at it. Just thankful the windshield is good (hope I haven't jinxed that).

20. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

What I got from Bernbaums was the window channel. I had to moved the original metal channel out toward the front of the door (if that makes sense) to have a front and rear channel for the glass to go up and down in. I didn't get the channel right the first time and ended up cracking both windows, so that part is important. I never could find the actual rubber, or whatever you call it that goes between the window and the top of the door edge. So I made my own and glued them in with 3M adhesive. It's not factory original, but it keeps the rain from getting down inside the door. I also "chopped" my bed this week. Mine is a "high" side long bed and I never did like it. So I took it apart, cut the 2 sides apart and welded them back together. Now my bed sides are 5 inches shorter. I mocked it up Saturday and was going to finish it today, but snow, wind and freezing temps have put the kibosh on that.

Attached Files:

21. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Also...I just remembered. The wipers are the part that goes between the glass and door edge and is what I 'fabricated' from some black rubber. Bermbum's wipers weren't the right part, wouldn't fit or work at all and I didn't bother sending them back. I'll post a pic of what I did when I get a chance. Again, the window channel felt was perfect and worked very well.
    Steve-

22. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

Thanks for the info Preacherman. I spent the weekend getting her ready for a two hour trip home that will take place on Easter...I'll post some pictures and updates here in a bit.

23. I also own a 1956 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. My steering and leaf springs were appalling ! It wandered all over the road and leaned to one side. The steering box had 1/4 turn of play. This was not safe to drive on public roads. So I cut the frame under the cab with a sawzall and just wheeled the dead front suspension out from under the poor Dodge. Then I put a 1977 Camaro front subframe under the old girl and with a four inch spacer between the Dodge and subframe. I bolted and welded it in place. I put the m/c on the firewall and the brake pedal behind it. I used a 1967 Cadillac tilt/telescopic steering column w/Borgeson U joints. Then I dropped in a freshly rebuilt 1977 Dodge D100 318v8 w/A727 Torqueflite trans. It has an Edelbrock intake w/a 500CFM AFB style carb, a Summit high lift short duration cam and stock crank and pistons. Cast iron later model Magnum exhaust manifolds and dual sidepipes. Using a Mopar 3.23 Sure Grip out of a 1972 Challenger, it really honks. The rear tires chirp on any full throttle upshift when going into second gear. It's very reliable and now safe to drive. Plus the IFS makes for a nice handling truck. Power steering and front disc brakes are a bonus. I painted the whole truck with Rust-O-Leum and a brush and roller ! This is now my daily workhorse. This entire conversion cost me less than $1,000.00 total. The old Dodge is now a lot of fun to drive and it surprises lots of unsuspecting people at the stop light grand prix. Good luck with your Dodge.

24. christineman

christineman
    from minnesota

Does anyone know how many years used the same headliner in the 50s dodge pickups?? I want to reproduce the interior cardboard liner kit for everyone

[email protected]

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Already been done. www.robertsmororparts.com has some. Gene