Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys KC - Canceled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryceaugustine, Feb 15, 2013.

1. if there was another thread about this i missed it. i searched...didnt find it but correct me if im wrong.

anyway. it appears as though the Goodguy Kansas City show has been canceled (link below for reference). so i dont know if there is a possibility of returning in 2014 or not. anyway i just found out and thought i would let others know. guess im goin to Greaserama.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kansas-city-goodguys-mid-western-nationals-cancelled-for-2013

2. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

hmm. guess there will be a ton more cars at greaserama this year!

3. thats what i was thinkin. im goan make sure to register early. unless they find a new venue they are really limited on the amount they can take in.

4. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Greaserama is more fun anyways

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They raised the rates at the Speedway. That`s why it was cancelled, so I heard. Grease-A-Ramma is alot more fun.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed.

7. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

GG Des Moines is going to be waaay up this year. Lots of folks that I've talked to are going to make that their big weekend.

8. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I wish Todd were here to hear this.

9. I think that Kirk said something about the looking for a different location. NASCAR became too pricey and I think that they are trying to keep it affordable for the public (us). Anyway I got the impression that they have not given up on it they just need to find a place that is affordable for all.

I could be wrong.

I liked the greaserama when it was still down at the Cowtown Dance Hall, I haven't been since they moved. Maybe I'll try and make the trip this year.

10. 1hot57

1hot57

you would think that with the economy in the tank that GG would be trying to help the average Joe not empty our wallets. They dont have a show at any drag strip any more either. I went to GG at Bowling Greens Beach Bend and it was one of the best shows ever! now they dont have it there any more! One sad old drag racer !!!!!!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A huge portion of the entry fee or spectator fee goes to the venue. Plus all of their other demands of the organization putting on an event. It doesn't matter if it's Goodguys or the local club putting on an event at the local fairgrounds the venues see it as a cash cow to be bled dry.

Locally the fairgrounds gets a fee for use of the grounds, extra fee for use of the Sundome. All food and beer sales are through the fairgrounds people. The local club has to pay for the fairgrounds security people who are only worried about things that belong to the fairgrounds.
    It's been an annual event for close to 40 years and every year the faigrounds hits the club that puts the event on with more fees and expenses that add to the cost of putting on the event.

You can bet that every time Goodguys shows up to negotiate for an event at a venue the people who run the venue have big $$$$$$$$$ in their eyes and want a big price plus control of food and beverage sales.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as the economy has gone down, the prices for using fairgrounds, etc has gone up. in 2012 I flew out for a one day trip to attend the Goodguys show and Greaserama. yep, the lousy weather sure did not help things. had a good time at both but, rate Greaserama higher. hope the GG can find another location. always good to have as many shows as possible so people can have a variety of things to do. I posted a thread last year with lots of pics, do a search:
    KC Goodguys & Greaserama Sat 9/1 - PICS!!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  13. KIRK!

KIRK!

There was a thread addressing this. I can't get into it too much, but the easy answer is that the Speedway made the choice for Goodguys. All plans were to return. As was said above, Goodguys is actively looking for a replacement venue for KC and Chicago.

14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Its not KC, but springfield, mo has a good venue.

15. haychrishay

haychrishay

I hope they consider a fairgrounds venue,I think they are alot nicer . My 2cents worth.

16. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

I have been planning on going to the Greaserama this year for the first time. Should I register early and is it worth the 8 hour drive? Thanks in advance

17. Kirk. thank you for clearing that up. i hope you all can work something out.

im my opinion Greaserama is a great show. if you want to enter a car you better register before the event.

18. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Thanks all i need to know. I will get registered asap.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Greaserama is fun!

20. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Thanks! I plan on being there!

21. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Saw a guy wearing a Los punk rods jacket the other day at homedepot we were both getting propane .

Jake

22. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Don't blame Goodguys for the show being cancelled. After a few years community leaders see nothing but $$$$$$$$$$ and will bleed it dry. My guess is that what happened when the Corvette guys left Bloomington years ago. A couple years after the Corvette show left Bloomington there was a swap meet set up billed as Hershey Midwest. Rumors were it was run by the same people as Hershey Pa. A lot of empty spots were bought up by speculators getting their foot in the door for the coming boom but the killer was the $5.oo per head gate tax for the city. I think it was supposed to be a $3.00 admission but the tax put it like $8.00. The swap meet was all but dead the second year. I didn't go back like several thousand others.
    There are good places to hold these events and communities with open arms.

I second the nomination to go to Springfield, Mo. The Ozark Empire fairgrounds is a big, beautiful place, lots of shade and plenty of Hotels. It was the home of the first Americruise, back when it moved around the nation.

23. slammed

slammed

Goodguys have their own web site, what does it say? KC is fortunate to have the Greaserama. Show them the love.

24. i didnt see in info about it on their website. and i didnt mean to imply that it was goodguys stoping it. or the speedway or the city...etc. i was simply trying to tell everyone the show is no more...at least as of right now.

25. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

Hello HAMB'rs,
    Just wanted to share with you that we are sorry to hear that the GG's show will not be around this year in KC as we did get a lot of "curious" bleed over to our show later in the day and into the evening. It gave us an opportunity to meet new car people that we would not have gotten to have attended our show in the past. I will say that it is not your typical car show like GG, so educate yourself and understand what the roots that founded GREASERAMA are all about. You won't hear "Little Deuce Coupe" played, see any poodle skirts worn or "pin up" contests. It is about our culture that was a foundation of the PUNK RODS and that we were different in our music, art, tastes and hot rod culture.
    I would like to say that in 2013 you will see some new things for GREASERAMA #13. It is all in the works right now but stay tuned, visit our website www.greaserama.com or our blogspot www.lospunkrods.blogspot.com for details coming very soon. More excitement, more entertainment, more bands, less dust, more elbow room and just plain out, good cheap fun at $25.00 car entry for 2 days! That is all I am gonna say for right now.....so don't ask for more details at this point. I promise your wait in anticipation will be justified when announced!
    And as our regular attendees know, each year has a theme. Get your furriness on as it was supposed to be the end of the world according to the Mayans in 2012, it is time for man to emerge from his cave dwellings and carve the first cheater slick out of stone! Embrace....GREASERAMA #13 with its "caveman" theme!
    Hopefully the GG show will reemerge in a new venue around the KC area in the future as we all hate to see any car show go away. Good luck to Kirk and the GG crew in keeping the show alive and in a new location.

Thank you for your support!
    ERIC
    VLPR

[​IMG]

26. help-me-honda

help-me-honda

I suggest Heartland park in Topeka,Kansas with the dragstrip and all.

27. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Cant wait til' labor day!

28. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I can't get excited about Greasarama anymore. When they won't let you in because you have the wrong wheels on your car, you tend to not want to go back. I consider my car a hot rod, not a rat rod or whatever people are calling rusty cars these days. I built it to drive, and have from coast to coast, it's been fun, but apparently my building in some reliability with newer technology just doesn't sit well with some. Sad.

A pic so nobody thinks it's an over the top trailer queen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  29. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Though i understand where your coming from i have to stand with the club on this one. No billet is no billet. If they let one set of billet wheels in they gotta let them all in. I for one am glad that everyshow is not like a goodguys show where there are more trailers than cars(not saying you trailer your car) Shows like this need stiff boundaries so they dont become another trophy show.

30. slammed

slammed

C'mon '33, those are ultra modern wheels. There are TONS no, THOUSANDS of other car shows/cruises you can drive to and be let in. Its their show, their rules.