Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lmao i gotta finish the upper mount. U should seen me tryin to sit in there with that jackstand holdin it up hahaha. PITA

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

That springer knuckle is super duper sweet! Great work on the cab, love the column work as well. What are you doing for steering?

You gotta get crafty working by yourself man. I have removed the cab of my truck from the frame by myself and almost threw it out of the garage door trying to remount it solo!

If I only had a block and tackle I could have ripped the garage door motor from the rafters in more grand failing manor. :eek:

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lmao, thanks man, and hell yea workin solo is a task in its own right. As far as steering goes, what are you refering to? Like power or manual ? Its an 81 camaro front clip. Just all stock components. Im rebuilding the entire front end when i tear back down for paint. Its staying power as of now, however im heavily considering going to a manual box to clean up the engine bay and eliminate the p/s shit. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a system to run both a low mount alternator and a low mount p/s pump. I found one but i cant run a mechanical fuel pump with that setup according to the description the manufacturer gives

4. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

That gives me some ideas sqrlnts. Ill have to play around with it. Column is in for good. Gotta do some finish grinding. Found a radio delete plate from bobs bowtie bits. And have an ashtray coming from ebay, the dash is finally starting to look like a dash instead of a skeleton. Also does anyone know what all the holes in the dash were? Like which ones the lighter, choke, headlights etc etc. also are all these holes stock? And finally does anyone know how high the bench seat is off the floor stock ? I may mount it to the floor and keep it riding LOW inside. Idk yet. I cant wait to get a visor on here and mock it up.......

Attached Files:

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey fellas, it seems some of the visors i see on these trucks have a slightly different shape. Very little difference but it seems some just flow into the roof better. Is there a particular brand or maybe there a difference between new and old ? Opinions?

7. mt94ss

mt94ss

I just went out and took photos of my truck, sorry for the crappy images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ign. sw. then a plug then choke. Not sure what the upper right is, maybe wiper? I haven't even checked out my own truck!?!?

Hope this helps somewhat.

Mike

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man. Im not running wipers on my truck anyways. Just trying to figure out whatz what. Didnt some truck come with a locking throttle cable too ?

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also when i got my fresh cab it had the left vent cable in the hole labeled "unknown" in your pic. Idk if thats stock tho ? I know chevys are under the dash in the middle

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

I kind of figured from the placement of the shifter that the guy had a disability...I'm diggin that he loves old cars enough to bother making one work for himself.

Grenade, man you are making some killer progress, and your skills are really coming along....makes me a bit envious. Can't wait to see it all come together, gonna be a sweet truck!

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man, its takin longer than i want. i want to get it painted by summer. We will see. I just saw your thread about the firewall rust, thats such a bummer dude, makes me nervous to attempt paint for the first time....

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got the ashtray in the mail today.... Does anyone know the price of chroming ? I hear a bumper is generally like 300 bucks. Im hoping i can get the small dash pieces and maybe the door panels for a tad over 100 but i could be wayyy off

Attached Files:

13. n847

n847

I don't know it depends on the quality of the item being chromed. But the 3 places I called wanted from 4-600 to chrome a bumper!

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

mother f !! that is freakin ridiculous!!!!!!

15. n847

n847

Maybe its an Ohio thing...

16. 1959apache

1959apache

no its really expenseive. you can pay for a cheap plater, but you will regret it because they 1) vary in quality and 2) use crap chemicals thanks to the EPA. Some of these platers use chemicals that wind up chewing through the steel and rotting it. 600 is cheap for around here

17. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Gotta pay to play Green. OR, you could rattle can that bitch. Great progress.

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Well bumper wise, im goin with a 58 impala up front so ill just have to keep an eye out for a clean one. Outback will be a stocker. Im more worried about getting small parts chromed. Maybe ill try the spray on chrome thing for the small pieces. Theres some pretty trick kits out there

19. Big parts usually cost a premium to plate because... well, theyre big. I worked a lt a chrome shop for several years and bumpers were amoung the more dreaded items. Lots of surface area, take up lots of space, lots can go wrong. Small items can be more reasonable to plate, depending on condition and base materiel. Cast parts- especially pot metal- can be tempermental.

20. Brog

Brog

Awesome work man, keepin' me inspired to keep pushin'. I'm getting back to work on mine, swapping to a 56 ford cab.

I guess I'm too late but on the Ford pickups the roof can pop out of place from the cab when the driprails are removed. Maybe it didn't happen on your Chevy, but I would of recommended cutting 6 inches out, leaving the next 6, cutting the next 6, and so on. Weld it up, then cut and weld the remaining sections. That way you would of had the roof panel being held every 6 inches and didn't risk moving it. Might not of happened though.

Also where was that show at? Wish I heard about these things, mighta gone

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah thats how i did my driprail. Cut and welded like 5 to 6 inches at a time. The whole roof skin will come off. Show was in timonium. Theres two sections of the show. Ones is the swapmeet building. Thats where all the cool cars and bike are and a ton of parts as well. The main building is the mainstream stuff. More dealer oriented and a lot of over priced new fangled stuff. There was also about 15 bike gangs walkin around. It was kinda sketchy and we didnt stay long in that building. I like cool bikes, not the super badass gang member mentality that people bring with it. The people in the swapmeet building were super cool, and willing to shoot the breeze about cars or bikes. Everyonein the main building looked like they wanted a fight

22. shadams

shadams

Looking good man, havent checked it out in a while...what steering wheel is that? Looks like mine with a different horn ring, I like it much better than mine....

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks dude. I need to check ur thread out again. U were makin some killer progress last time i looked. Wheel is a 64 impala with a bullet horn button

24. shadams

shadams

Ahh, ok. I think mine is a 64 Chevelle, could be Impala though. Where did you buy that bullet horn button?

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Looking nice! I know I'm not looking forward for what its going to cost to get my parts re-chromed.

26. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

If you can find a local plating shop it wouldn't hurt to try and barter. You never know, maybe they have a need for some basic labor around the shop. I think "most" older school guys are open to that sort of offer and lets face it times are tough.

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sqrlnts i like that idead man, ill have to give it a go and see what happens. Shadams that bullet came with the wheel outta the classifieds, i believe moon sells em too tho. And 55, i feel your pain !!!!!

So i sat and looked at my power steering and i dont mind where it is on the motor but that alt has to come wayyyy down to clean up the mill. I may go manual steering. Opinions ?

Also the truck will have a visor on the front but im really startin to dig on the old aluminum "blinds" too. I think they look pretty sweet, what do you think ?

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also i may be picking up a set of nice overhauled 2.02 camel humps saturday with screw in studs and upgraded springs off craigslist

Attached Files:

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres the shades......

Attached Files:

30. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I think if you put the existing alt bracket on a heavy diet and then dull it down a bit (paint? scotchbrite?) your eye will not be drawn to it so much.