Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starving 454

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaRatt13, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DaRatt13

DaRatt13
    from SoCal

I have a 454 in my 55' Chevy truck with the gas tank relocated in the rear between the frame rails. I have had a problem with the engine starving for gas and dying at anything over about 30mph. I changed the fuel pump and the problem was still there. I added a small electric transfer pump to try and help with the volume and the problem is still there. Runs ok at slow speeds but starves out at higher speeds. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

2. kracker36

kracker36

Have you made sure that the lines are clear and that the tank has no obstructions?

3. trollst

trollst

Check filters, sounds like a flow problem, has it got the inline filter at the fitting on the carb?

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If its a quadrajet, it does. Has the carb been apart in a while, the primary jets or shooters may be obstructed. Accelerator pump good?

5. Does the tank have a big enough vent?Try driving with the cap off the tank to see if there is a change

6. DaRatt13

DaRatt13
    from SoCal

I have two inline filters, one glass at the carb and one paper type at the rear after the electric pump. I tried running with the gas cap cracked, no change. I have not checked the lines yet. I thought about changing to stainless lines from front to back.

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Mainjets clogged

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

You have a filter after the fuel pump...... first place to look is any blockage between tank and pump.

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Sock in tank or fuel filter inside carb inlets are clogged.

10. Take the paper filter that is after the pump out and replace with a piece of tubing and test. The filter should then be installed before the electric pump to keep crap from entering the pump. Replace the paper element first even if it's new.

You unfortunately didn't say what carb or carbs you are running but chances are there is a small filter where the fuel line enters the carb body, replace this as well, TR

11. BobMcD

BobMcD

What are you using for fuel line? I ran into a similar problem on a C10 and the rubber fuel line looked good on the outside , but had collapsed on the inside. I discovered this after replacing the fuel pump. Pull the fuel line off at the carburetor and run it into a container. Have someone crank the engine and see what kind of volume you have.

12. You may have a rubber line with a "flap" torn on the inside.
    I'd cobble up some sort of fresh hard line (roll copper or aluminum, etc) to run the whole way from the rear pump to the engine. Make it safe, but it doesn't have to be pretty.

If you drive it and the problem goes away, replace the entire fuel line.

13. lawman

lawman

There is some great tec there Guy's !!!!!

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Mechanical pumps "pull" the fuel. If there's a break in the line it's like drinking through a straw with a hole in it.

Where is your electric pump? Electric pumps must be located near the tank because they "push" the fuel.

15. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Bypass the electic pump with temp hose, probably the quickest trial and error, I am sure you don't need 2 fuel pumps ? Just my .02 worth hope it works out

16. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

You might also check the pickup inside the tank and make sure it isnt loose and sucking air too .and if its a fuel cell type check the end of the pickup hose make sure it isnt sucking up to the bottom or sides of the cell and being closed . i cut notches in the end to prevent that

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

You should not need 2 pumps.
    you have a blockage or you have a rubber line collapsing.

Start at the tank check the pickup/sock, install new line from the tank to the mechanical pump, blow out the new line before you hook it up, use a new metal line from the pump to the carb, change the internal carb filter.

If this does not fix the problem, you need to rebuild your carb.

Godspeed
    MrC.

18. When did you install the filters, any problem before that? Glass filters are pretty but worthless, I'd get rid of that one. Fuel filters orientated in the right direction? Checked the carb internal filter? extra fuel pump added to the system will only flow what the mechanical pump allows.

19. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I had a 427 in a 69 Chevelle wagon with the same problem.
    Turn out it was the little cintered bronze filter inside the carb right at the inlet fitting.

20. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I'd do a fuel pressure and volume test at the line close to the carb to see if the "back half" of the system needs attention before replacing any more parts.

carb friendly fuel pump test gages are also vacuum gages so are very useful

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe check the float level.

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My mechanic friend told a story about someone putting zigzag papers in a tank for a prank. They would float over to the pickup and eventually restrick the flow. When shut off, they would float freely.

23. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Holley carb - check float level, on a Street Avenger there are sintered bronze filters.
    These can not be cleaned, only replaced.

24. DaRatt13

DaRatt13
    from SoCal

Thanks for all the great tips. I found the problem when I inspected the fuel line. I had the rubber fuel line straped to the frame with a metal strap with a rubber protective lining. When I dumped the airbags a tab from the fourlink smashed the strap and pinched the fuel line. repaired the line, moved the strap and now it's fine. Thans again.

25. BobMcD

BobMcD

Good Job! Thanks for updating.

26. lht

lht

i was gonna say try runnin a jerry can up front but you found the problem good deal