Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia drags south butler ny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Donk, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

The latest news is: The old drag strip in South Butler NY (Jacksons, Kings, Warricks) lives again. There will be Nostalgia Drags, Car Show, and Swap meet on June 29 2013 (rain date June 30 2013) Cars for drags and show will be limited to 1980 and before. For more info call Jamie at 315 776 4737

2. Cool!

Where abouts is South Butler?

3. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

South Butler is about half way between Rochester and Syracuse. Cool old track that was built in the 50's. Heads up racing just for fun.

4. Somewhere around Waterloo?

5. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

About 20 miles north east of Waterloo about 5 mi. north of Savannah

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Good to hear that the Ol' S. Butler track is going to run again.

I'll put this on the Calendar.

Thanx,
    VR&C.

7. Tony

Tony

JThats cool!
    I ran my old 33 Ford truck there a bunch of years back when they just started running cars again.
    About as old school as it gets without a flag man, and a LOT of fun!
    Im sure a bunch of us will go.

Thanks for the info.

Tony

8. Is this the old track at the farm, or the new one in the field?-MIKE

9. Should be the one at the farm. Pretty stoked to hear it's running again.

10. LZ

LZ

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

It is the one at the farm. The first two families to operate the track were from Savannah so I guess that was the business address. I guess the Savannah reference just stuck. I should have put it in the original post, my mistake. This is a resurection project. It's the hopes and dreams of everyone involved that the track can be brought back to a place (with so much history) where we all can go to relive some old memoies and hopefully make some new ones. I will post updates

13. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Is it still owned by the Warrick's ? Has the property changed hands?

14. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

The Warricks sold the farm, but the new owner is very receptive to saving the track.

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Thats good. Thanks Greg !

16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Back to the Top for the C.N.Y. HAMB crowd. This can be a great venue for a HAMB event as a part of this event in June. At the very least, a good place for us HAMBERS to meet
    and tell lies.

VR&C.

17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Back to the top! What memories this place brings back to me...

18. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

I stopped in and saw Paul Jackson this morning. He's the man who built this track back in the 50's. He has a lawn mower salvage yard in Seneca Falls NY. I thought I would see if he had a spot where I could put up a poster for the drags. You should have seen his face light up when I slid that poster across the counter to him. He said if there was anything he could do to help just let him know. He's a great guy with a lot of tales to share. Paul must be in his eighties and he still has the passion for this stuff.

19. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

WOW, didn't realize that the Guy that owns the Lawn Mower Salvage Yard was the guy from Jackson's.
    I buy stuff from them on occasion. I'll have to talk to Paul next time I stop in. Thanks for the info.
    P.S. - If you are from the area, this is a great place to buy used mower, snowblower, small gas engine parts.

VR&C.

20. jimstro16

jimstro16

Thanks for the info, I might make the trip to see something different

21. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

good to see it up and running again

22. chopperrob

chopperrob
    from ny

Its a pretty cool old track. Guys around here talk about racing there years ago. They also have outlaw motorcycle drags there every year and thats a fun day. They usually have some ""alternative" entertainment as well on that day.

23. LZ

LZ

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

What is the track surface like after all these years?

25. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

We walked the track back in December before the snow. It hasn't changed since the last time I went down it 5 years ago. I went 96 mph in the tenth mile with a street driven 33 Ford (slicks). I liked it. Street tires spin a bit. There were guys running over 100. It is a narrow two seperate lane track. It has two new cement launch pads. There is not alot of traction on the old black top, but it's not that bad. Don't expect Maple Grove. It's a great old track with a lot of history and any profits or donations are going right back in place to try and bring it back.

26. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

Lots of interest in the event. There have been calls from as far away as Ohio. Our next meeting is Sun 3/10. I will post any updates.

27. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

Update: Weather is starting to change and we're getting excited. Sounds like there might be a few gassers showing up. I have talked to some of the guys that used to race there in the 60's and 70's and they said they would be there, and wanted to know what they could do to help. This is good stuff. New at this meeting, we agreed on $5.00 for spectators children under 12 free, If you have your car entered in the car show you can't race that car, and some rules. 1. NO alcoholic beverages on the grounds. 2. NO children under 12 in the pits. 3. All attendees must sign a waiver. 4. No pre-reg. on cars drag racing. 5. Track is 10th mile 528 ft, 400 ft. for pro street. 6. All drag cars must pass tech inspection. 7. ALL cars must have fire extinguisher in car. 8. Cars equipped with seatbelts (68 and newer) and pro street, Driver must wear them. Note: If you have a helmet wear it. 9. No nitrous or alcohol. 10. All cars racing must have windows rolled up or window netting. Next meeting 4/14/2013

28. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

To The Top. 3 weeks away.

VR&C.

29. Greg Donk

Greg Donk

Well it happend. The show and drags. It was a very good turn out considering the weather didn't like it. We've had ALOT of rain around here this year and Saturday was no exception. Everyone seemed to make the best of it. We would like to thank everyone for comming. I will post more later with some pics. Rummor has it there might be more drags this summer. Let's hope so.