Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '51 Stude

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raymond Loewy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Hi,

I have had my arm twisted to show you guys some photos of my '51 Studebaker Commander. I say mine but I sold it to my father a few years ago where it is enjoying a lovely retirement - Dad has been using it as it is more comfortable than his 32 Roadster :p . I am now on the hunt for a new car but just cannot work out what I want!
    A big thanks to Atomic Mudshark for all the work he put in to this car about 13? years ago. I was a 20 something year old and was on a very tight budget. He worked wonders on the car and came up with some great solutions to some of the problems we encountered.
    I drove it for the first time in a couple of years over Christmas and I think I am still smiling :D

Attached Files:

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like it,clean look with nice color too.:D
    I hate the rims and tire size,to me they really look wrong:eek:only thing I'd change.

3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I drove a stock '51 Commander in high school. Flathead 6 & automatic, yeah it was slow as hell but got great gas mileage..

4. lawman

lawman

Nice little "Stude" !!!!

5. aircap

aircap

Nice Studebaker.
    Interesting bumper, too.

6. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

I like it, nicely done.

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I have a page for this car on my Bullet Nose Paradise website. I'm not sure if the info I have is current and don't know if it was converted to RHD. I've also wondered what that front bumper is off of.

The URL for the page is Roy Fregon. I will update the page to document that it's a Commander.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Nice Stude.

I agree about the wheels, definitely don't suit the car.

9. Raymond Loewy

Raymond Loewy

Thanks guys :)

Bullet Nose - I am Roy's daughter. It was converted to RHD, using a Studebaker Landcruiser dashboard. The front bumper is the original bumper. We removed the front pan, cut the bumper in to segments and moulded back along the front of the car.
    These photos give you a better idea of how it was done. Also show the car with moons on it.

So what sort of wheels do you guys think I should be looking at?
    Am considering ghost flames at this stage too :)

Attached Files:

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like the moons:D,but it's hard to beat stock Study cones for style,lots even use those on other customs as well.:cool::D

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Interesting touch with the front bumper. They are usually removed because they stick out front so far.

The rims may not be for this site but to me they look fine. The chrome has been painted and you are thinking of ghost flames. I think the rims will be fine. It is a little street roddy but has a very nice, clean look.

Back to what is important, build it the way you like it.

Neal

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I agree and that's why I moved mine 5" closer to the fenders. Of course, now the bullet sticks out farther than the bumper.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I like the wheels on it for some reason, normally I hate modern wheels on old cars.

And the nose on these always remind me of Topo Gigio. :)

14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Do you have any photos of what the rear end looks like? Any custom features there?