Register now to get rid of these ads!

Show us your flying eyeballs!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemirrhoid, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Hemirrhoid

Hemirrhoid
    from Wisconsin

Flying eyeballs are a staple of hot rodding. Show us what you have done to help us with more ideas.

I'll start. I'm doing up a '51 Nash rambler convertible "custom". I've converted the cowl vent into an engine cowl induction system. To get the air into the engine compartment I whipped up a winged duct (flying eyeball if you will) to seal the firewall and direct the air to the filter housing. Still need to polish it up, but looks to do the trick.
    [​IMG]

Also, needed a 3rd brake light. Car was painted so I didn't want to mess up the paint. Couldn't find a 3rd brake light that wouldn't look tacky so made a flying eyeball 3rd brake light out of a 3" stainless steel decorative sphere, 1/4" aluminum plate and a Harley red LED bullet signal light.
    [​IMG]
    <VAR id=yui-ie-cursor></VAR>

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Hemirrhoid

Hemirrhoid
    from Wisconsin

3. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a member of the Flying Eyeballs Motor Club based in Eastern Iowa. Here is our plaque:

[​IMG]

We promote the Flying Eyeball Reunion held annually in Davenport, IA

[​IMG]

4. lawman

lawman

Nice stuff !!!!

5. I like your brake lite....

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This is on my firewall. I actually overheard a non car guy make the comment "Look at that eyeball with the wings...The guy that owns this one must be an optometrist!"

Attached Files:

7. Hemirrhoid

Hemirrhoid
    from Wisconsin

Funny stuff - optometrist!

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A friend on another forum sent me this one as a gift. I am going to mount it on the dash of my current rpu project.

Don

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

I got one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jerry

jerry

Hey, I got one of those! From a long time ago auction.

jerry

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Von Dutch gets credit for the flying eyeball motif, he used it a lot but never claimed to have invented it. He knew it went back to the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians, maybe farther back than that. He considered it symbolized the eye of God, the eye in the sky that sees all and knows all.

Recently in a book of astronomy I found a new theory. This astronomer noticed that during an eclipse when the sun is exactly behind the moon you can see flares or streamers of light coming out from the sides, resembling the winged eye seen in ancient pictures and carvings. His theory is the motif originated in ancient astronomy as a symbol for an eclipse.

12. raymay

raymay

Flying Eyeball we used on a Soapbox Derby car our car club sponsored and helped build in the the 90's.

Attached Files:

13. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's tough to photograph your own shoulder. The ink has been there a long time. The Lady Luck is on the other shoulder.

Attached Files:

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

My parts box..I'll soon farm this out to accentuate the eyeball & some striping.

[​IMG]

15. 7ate9

7ate9
    from Maine

Hendrix poster!

[​IMG]

16. RatRoy

RatRoy

Here are some of mine...:)

Attached Files:

17. Fan club

Attached Files:

18. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

A couple of mine

Attached Files:

19. mattrod68

mattrod68

a really bad pic of my first tattoo

[​IMG]

20. Heres a few shots of a local hot rodders 53 Pontiac in Red Bank. His pin striper put one on the lower passenger side of the trunk lid. Dont know if anyone on her knows him. Hes a really cool guy. Spoke to him a few times about the car. Enjoy folks. Adam.

Attached Files:

21. Here's a few:

Attached Files:

22. A few more:

Attached Files:

23. tinlid

tinlid

It must be over 20+ years since this was done. Not good pictures. Flying eyeballs in the clouds with baby eyeballs watching from the ground. Owned by my daughter. She is an aircraft mechanic at TriState CareFlight, a flight for life company and has her nice pink VonDutch ball cap.

Attached Files: