Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I shorten a 57 Chevy Pick Up Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larry J. Rhea, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Larry J. Rhea

Larry J. Rhea

I have a 57 Chevy pick up (3200). I want to shorten it to accomadate a short bed. I have all the equipment to do this but I don't know where to cut the frame or how much to take out. Would also like some advise on how to reinforce the frame when I weld it back together.

Thanks,

Larry

2. You need to cut the frame behind the cab and find out what the wheel base is on a short bed or whatever your bed is going to be and remove that amount. HRP

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's how I do it and where. I could give you a measurement but I won't, to many little varibles, as you really should fit the bed to the frame, find rear axle center line with fenders on and preferably with wheel & tires on.

Attached Files:

4. Apenaut

Apenaut

5. You'll likely need to cut it twice; 12" between the cab and axle, and again, 6" between the axle and rear bumper. Not certain on the measurements, but on a later model, I think that is the difference between an 8' and a 6 1/2' bed. Do a search here, this is a really good forum for all years of
    Chevy truck:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13

6. Bruuuce

Bruuuce

A long time ago Fatman engineering had a kit.

7. Hoptup32

Hoptup32

While there are many different ways to section a frame, the method I would utilize is to section the frame in a horizontal "Z" format, slide the two frames halfs together, weld along the cut line, add a fishplate and then add a boxing plate to the frame channel. The boxing plate would be optional, but the added safety factor would give me a better piece of mind.

I have added an example file showing this method, shortening the frame by four inches. Substitute the four inches for whatever dimension you require.

Attached Files:

8. BobMcD

BobMcD

X2 for TRUCKS! episode TK 2007-10. View it online.

9. lawman

lawman

Good tec fellow's !!!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same concept as his. I borrowed this one off one of the Chevy truck boards.
    [​IMG]

The overlap adds a lot of strength that you don't have if you just saw the frame off and butt weld it.

11. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I use the GM heritage archives a lot, there's good wheelbase, chassis measurements and a lot of useful info.
    Check it out for sure, the Truck episode went so far as to shorten the bed as well. It's not gonna be as bad as you think.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad