Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy SB Distributor Re-Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64impala, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 64impala

64impala

After installing a new intake manifold on my 64 chevy small block, I'm ready to drop my distributor back in.
    Can I just drop the distributor right back into the slot using the #1 wire as previously marked without having to go through any other adjustments other than re-timing?

2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Should be able to if the crank hasn't been turned.

3. as long as the engine was not turned it should go back in how you took it out.
    if any dounbt set it back to TDC on number one and go from there

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Remember that the rotor will want to rotate as it engages the teeth on the cam. So set the rotor a little counterclockwise to your mark as you drop it in, then it should seat correctly on the cam and oil pump shaft.

5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

pretty much--you have the basics

6. sometimes the oil pump shaft gets moved slightly when pulling the distributor and/or when trying to stab it back in ....you may have to turn it a bit

7. scrubba

scrubba

This HAS TO Be the best advice I've seen to a novice in a helluva long time !!!!!!!!!!! :);):D:cool:

scrubba

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are assuming that you DID bring the engine up on compression on number 1 cylinder and line up the timing marks before you pulled the distributor. Did you?

If not you will have to crank it over and bring it up on compression on #1 and line up said timing marks and then drop in the distributor.

9. just keep trying until it quiets back firing and starts to run and you will have it. Really if you marked it just put it back. Good luck on that.

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

put it back in just as it came out. you will know if its a tooth off or not when you crank it

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You can check it by rotating the crank till you're on compression on #1 and the timing mark is about 10 degrees before TDC. The rotor should be right in contact with the #1 plug wire in the cap if it's right.

12. Before I pull them out, I mark the #1 distributor cap tower location on the intake manifold. Just eyeball a line through the center of the cap. That gets the timing real close when it goes back together.

Bob

13. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

Did he have it on #1 when pulled it out?

14. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

I always mark the top and bottom spots on removal,it cant get any easier, It only goes in two ways, so your going to be good,or out by 180°, or if your completely lost you can bump it to top dead center and redo all the wires

15. BobMcD

BobMcD

Line it back up the same way it came out. The oil pump drive may be a little off. Hold on to the distributor and have someone bump the starter and it will drop right in.

16. elba

elba

Here is the way I put a Chevy distributor in from scratch. Put #1 at TDC. Look down in the distributor hole and take a LONG screwdriver and turn the shaft so that the slot is foward and aft with the engine. Grab your distributor and set the rotor so that when it is installed the rotor is pointing EXACTLY towards the front of the engine. You might have to try this a few times, but you will get the hang of it. Now, this will be the #1 firing position on your cap. Then just place your wires in the fireing order.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, 64 Impala did you get it back in and running? Inquiring minds want to know.