Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51' Fargo Dodge on Dakota frame(boxing crossmember frame help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrag, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't modify the frame to fit a gas tank, I'd modify the tank to fit the frame.

Time to consider your whole fuel system - where does the filler tube get routed to? Where does the gas line get routed, and will you use a return line and an electric pump, or just the feed line? Where will the vent go? Where will the sender fit so it won't damage the sending wire? Answer yourself those and you can tell if your tank will work.

I wouldn't put this high on my list of recommended procedures, but I saw it once: A tank like yours was bolted down to a sheet of plywood at the 4 corners, with 2x4s under the outside flanges. The top half of the tank was beaten with a baseball bat hammer until it fit between the rails. He got about an inch narrower on each side, as he wanted. I always worried about leaks.

2. terrag

terrag

I did chose the cherokee commache style tank because the location of the sending unit/filler neck. sending unit is facing forward towards the engine. filler neck and vent will come up through the bed floor at the back. Also the stock sending unit runs the proper fuel pressure for my 5.2. Not so much of a found something and i'll make it work like I maybe made it sound. Sorry for that.

I really don t want to modify the tank just for that reason, possible leaks and I would never use 2x4's and plywood or a bat to make anything fit..hah only place for wood in the bed and possibly stake bed sides.

3. terrag

terrag

Does anyone have a part number for a rad that will fit these, maybe those champion ebay rads.

4. Apittslife

Apittslife

From what I have read, you can use the Dakota radiator, with some fabrication. I would also look at an aftermarket radiator for a 46-48 ford as it would appear more period correct, & I think you can get the outlet in various locations for your application.

5. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

You could use just about any radiator. Just take your measurements and make sure the water necks are positioned correctly

6. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

7. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Man, you were off like gang-busters...the title of this thread is "'51 Fargo Dodge Truck build in one winter" and spring is here...
    Steve-

8. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

That's gonna be killer! - Subscribed.

9. terrag

terrag

hey !! I'll admit it been slow. I haven't been working very much so funds are low, VERY low. lol Still... I ve been getting lots of small things accomplished. one running board is mounted, fuel lines, tank is in, battery box and battery in. all small and not very worthy of a post but I will take some pictures shortly. I'm going to be going through the wiring to get this thing fired up soon aswell.

PS we just had 40cm of snow last week... so it still looks like winter here. haha.

10. Fargo52

Fargo52
    from Manitoba

Just wondering where you went on this build.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Neat! Thanx for posting. I learned to drive in a '49 Fargo. I think I'd cut out the "Dodge" on the gate and weld in a flat panel. As a carpenter this might interest you: a buddy of mine built a gate for his Stude a few years ago and made a dir out of hardwood to stamp the Studebaker logo into it. He was able to stamp three of four panels before the wood broke up. I've been looking for a late '40 or early 50's Dodge or Fargo for a while but haven't found one yet. I'll keep checking this thred you can be sure.

12. terrag

terrag

Here we go again, Finally back on the truck going on the 3rd winter. Ive been extremely busy with work and school and finally I am red seal certified in carpentry, steady work and time to complete this build. I wasn't happy with the way things were going. I wanted to clean it up. Pulled the body and motor off.

Still concerned about the integrity of the frame and don t know which way i should go about correcting it. Lots of scale on the frame before i took the needle scaler to it. Its a street truck, no big power or racing in its future. already removed 2 of the orig. cross-members.

heres the question. Should I just add i few cross-members and forget about it or box the rear frame for peace of mind. Will I be running into problems with boxing the frame and cracking.

I was going to add a cross member between the fish plates i used to shorten the frame and from the center of that heading back like a k member, then box the back half but after looking into it that might ad too much rigidity and cause stress cracks. any imput appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.