Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 Cadillac Six Window Sedan DeVille in Dubai

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaurieB, May 11, 2012.

1. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

That's what I thought. The Oman part then the HID headlights reminded me of the bug eye lights on the jeep. If I remember right, from my old jeep days.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. LaurieB

LaurieB

Ah - you're also on one of the Jeep Forums? Yep - that's my Jeep with the bug-eye HIDs! Those things are still running strong after what must be 8 years now!

Still having a lot of fun with the Jeep. This was a few weeks ago :)

[​IMG]

3. LaurieB

LaurieB

Took the Caddy down some of the quieter roads - here's a quick bit of footage off the GoPro - enjoy some of the Omani scenery :)

4. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yep those HID on the caddi tipped me off. Those on jeep are ok. While you have a sweet Cadi, those lights just kill the car.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

awesome car man. pretty wild to see a bitchin caddy in the middle east, keep up the great work !!!!!:cool:

6. watch out for tire rubs where the tierod end come close to the back of the wider rim and tire ..... tire flex allows contact resulting in a cut tire
    if tires are close at rest you may be too wide check before purchase and measure this gap on stock wheel/tire combo

ask me how i know..

oops too late
    as far as getting the tires on the rear

use a bumperj ack and lift one side at a time the clearence you need will show up that way
    sad to think you need to dismantle the car to put on a spare

good luck now lower it a bit

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. LaurieB

LaurieB

Only rubbing I'm getting is on the fender brace at full lock - I think we can trim that a bit to eliminate it - just haven't got around to it yet. :) Was thinking of re-doing the front two wheels when I lower it to tuck them in more, to allow the tires to turn more without contacting the fender... but will check the tie-rod / suspension arm clearances first - good point. :)

8. Interesting video of your Cad!

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Great looking car. Don't like the new headlights though! Too, modern looking for the car. Just one man's opinion.

10. LaurieB

LaurieB

They've really grown on me. Looks "right" now. Really couldn't find a better looking alternative. They really look good from the drivers seat though ;)

[​IMG]

11. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Nice Cadillac.

I have been wanting to ask someone like you a few questions about 3d laser scaning. Is it possable to to scan a whole car, say a 1940 lincoln zephyr. what I want to do,is make a wooden buck so that I can shape the roof and trunk area, and make my 4 door into the 3 window coupe. The 3 window are very expensive and hard to find.

12. LaurieB

LaurieB

It is possible, but honestly the costs to do so would probably exceed that of buying a donor car of what you want.

You would need to find someone with the scanning equipment to scan in your car, convert the scan data in to useable data. Then do the redesign to get the shape forms that you want. Then you need to find someone who has the CNC equipment to mill out the buck that you want.... you're talking big parts here... And then someone's gotta be able to shape the metal over that buck and then transfer it to the car.

Anything is possible you just have to find someone who has the equipment and have the funds to access it.

I think you'd be better off finding someone with a good eye and natural talent for shaping metal the old fashioned english-wheel way.

The projects I'm planning are generally much much smaller, and it's utilizing the equipment I already have for the day job, and utilizing the skills that I have... Paying someone else to do those steps is where it is quite cost prohibitive.

Some of the rapid prototyping parts are still going to cost me a small fortune, which is why some of those custom projects haven't really kicked off yet. :)

Hope that helps! The technology is good and you can pretty much do anything you can imagine... but if you're having to outsource all of it, be prepared to pay for it, and it might not be the most cost effective solution for you!

13. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Nice car! I go through Dubai every couple months for work. I am usually only there for a day or two. It is a very fun and nice city to visit. I usually don't see to many classic cars there though.

14. olpaul

olpaul

Love the Caddy. Dubai is where that red Ferrari Enzo was abandoned in the desert. The guy just walked away.

15. LaurieB

LaurieB

Thanks

So many "abandoned enzo" stories but I believe that car is tied to an Interpol police case and is not so much abandoned, but more seized by the authorities.

Shame though - it's rotting in the sun. If it's to be auctioned off to repay whatever someone owes, it'll be almost worthless when that day comes. Will need a full restoration. Anything rubber will want to be changed. Interior will need re-doing.

My Caddy spends the weekdays underground away from the harsh sunlight :)

16. LaurieB

LaurieB

Yep. Supercars are normal here. Classics are something special :)

17. PTO

PTO
    from CA

The car is definitely made it far away from home. Not many found in that area.

18. Blade0817

Blade0817

This is not a Sedan DeVille, this is a Series 62 Sedan (style 6229). Someone just put a Sedan DeVille sign on the back but the Cadillac crest on the side of the front fenders and the door panels inside clearly shows that this car is a Series 62 Sedan.