Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a, "Let's see your Customs with Satin Paint Jobs" Thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TULSA, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Ive been searching through titles and do not see anything. Am I missing it? If not, we need one, post em up! Yours or your favorites...

2. looking forward to seeing the replies to this................

3. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

4. AdeQ8Styl

AdeQ8Styl
    from TEXAS!

Complements o' the HAMB

Attached Files:

5. slammed

slammed

Your looking for satin color, not primer'd right?

6. Abomb

Abomb

My old buick, a mix of satin black, and gloss / flake flames.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yes Satin, no clear.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

I am too excited to see what shows up here. I have been thinking of doing a satin job an my 50, this will either inspire me or help me decide not too, we shall see.

9. GREASER815

GREASER815

Here is a few that I dig.

Attached Files:

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

Some the best satin jobs are done with flattened clear.

Bob

11. zep058

zep058

There's hot rod flatz which is a single stage flattened paint, but as bobscogin said the flattened clear gives great results. Also spraying just base coat but it is not really protected.

12. My old car. I shot it in basecoat then sprayed color blender (clear basecoat) over it to give it a little protection yet keep the same sheen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Green '41 Chevrolet 4dr Sedan. Anyone know who's it is?

Attached Files:

14. frankieC

frankieC

here's mine drove it 4 years before my gal says pleas paint it aftershe saw
    the color on the dash !!!!!!

FRANKIE C
    38 sled

Attached Files:

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know a lot of people knock satin paint, but I love it. It isn't a matter of taking a shortcut because in some respects it is more work (not being able to buff out mistakes, etc) but it is just a matter of personal preference.

All of the cars pictured so far look great.

Don

16. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I've been looking at some colors for my shoebox. I'm thinking a gold color. Any satin gold out there?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. atomickustom

atomickustom

My roof is primer and the door posts and surrounds are DP-90, but the body itself is single-stage satin black enamel. (I believe it was actually the paint code for a Mopar hood or something?)

12 years ago it looked sharp to me, but I'm really tired of it now. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that I'd prefer shiny and just don't have the time to tear down and repaint.

It does look great at dusk and at night, though. Unfortunately I mostly drive the car in full sunlight, which may explain my disenchantment.

Attached Files:

18. lawman

lawman

Those are soooo nice !!!

19. Not to sound argumentative but lately Matte Clear has become easier and easier to find. I will try it on my current build hoping for that satin sheen. Gotta make the last coat the protective one.

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I tend to agree with Dave regarding a clear offering more protection than only spraying a satin paint by itself. I have learned to work with the SEM Hot Rod Black on my 27, and to use Tech 2.0 wax for more protection, but it does require a little more care than paint that is clear topcoated.

I think where the clear would be the biggest advantage is on a car that a person was going to have to leave outside in the elements sometimes. Rain spots, bird droppings, etc. would probably clean off easier and not mar the finish as easily.

Don

22. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

DuPont Violet with a flattener mixed in:

[​IMG]

... and some gloss white in the coves on the lower body.

23. Luke4554

Luke4554

Mine .. '51 Pontiac Chieftain 2 door sedan

2005 VW Indigo Blue Pearl/Metallic .. Single Stage PPG w/ about a 1:1 Flattener mix..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dig it .. only downside is theres a bit of extra care needed when cleaning.

Luke

24. rustang

rustang

My OT car I painted Satin Black with SEM Hot Rod black.....Like said above any eF-ups and you can't sand or polish out, and you get what you spray...SEM is a single stage urethane paint, and on my car I've had it on for (3) years...

Won't post the car here but it is in my album.
    Tom

25. I never had any problems with the color blender sprayed over the basecoat. The only thing that I would call an issue was that I was filling it with gas once and the nozzle didn't shut off and spilled down the side of the car. I didn't wipe it, just let it evaporate. The white part looked slightly yellowed after that, even after washing it, so I hit it by hand with some 3M polish and it took the yellow off. I had no fading issues or problems with bug staining in the 5 years I had the car. According to the guy who has the car now, he buffed out the paint (I told him it was supposed to be satin) and it shines real good. Who knows how it will hold up now, though.

One other note, Rain X makes a bug wash that you spray on the dried bugs before washing the car. You let it sit about a minute then just hose the bugs off! It works great in hard to get to areas like the grille and stuff and never bothered the paint!

26. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

this is hot rod flatz flat copper pearl. it fit the budget and driver quality car I am building. for a few hundred I'm happy

Attached Files:

27. My old 50

Attached Files:

28. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been washing mine with Dawn dish soap, that or multi-surface Windex. No matter what you do, you definately have to towel dry afterwards or you get spots.

I used a syphon type gun to paint my lid, you know the old kind that leak out the lid when you tilt them too far also need way to much air pressure to work. Needless to say I have a few drip spots on my roof. I didn't dare sand them out. What I did do was take a stone and sand down just the top of the drips/runs. Because of using that gun the paint was drying before it even hit the car, and layed on like a powder. Straight edge razor blade helped clean that up.

My recommendation... use a HVLP gun if you are going to spray satin

29. My old '46 was painted with a single stage Kerker Hot Rod Black urethane, it was a bitch to maintain. Bugs discolored it and it scuffed easily.

Attached Files:

30. CTH29Roadster

CTH29Roadster

How about this one? The satin black started out as temporary, but it's beginning to grow on me. Black Martin Senour primer with enamel gloss clear topcoat.

Attached Files: