Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Vintage Hubcaps SUCK?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kensey, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Just got a set of 4 Bar spinner hub caps, almost afraid to run them? Don't seem to seat very securely. I'm putting them on 59 olds stock rims. I'll run them, and if they fly off they fly off. I just don't want to decapitate anyone! Anyone else have experience/thoughts/tricks on keep'in them on?????

They do look "killer" though. Pun intended!

Kensey

2. FWIW, '59 Olds rims are kind of oddball - they're 14" 5x5 with nubs for modern type small caps. One way to keep your caps on might be to find some small caps - Chevy truck hubcaps, something else common - and attach your spinner caps to those, don't even use the clips around the rim.

Another option might be to use the attachment for 80s GM wire wheel hubcaps - three nuts have a flange on them and this cup fits under them that takes a bolt that was hidden under a center cap on the wire wheel cover. A lot of those came in a 5x5" pattern.

The reason they tend to fly off is radial tires don't flex as much as the old bias tires, so the rim flexes a little instead. Sometimes you can make a cap fit well enough to be okay, but I'd want to play with some junk caps that if I lose, they're no loss, to see what will make them stay on.

3. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

The quality of the repop caps do leave something to be desired. One way to help them stay on is to bend the tabs out. You dont want to bend the whole clip its self, but the small "teeth" on the outside. Go around them with some channel lock bending them out from the flange. Another thing to consider is that the paint on the wheel is what helps hold them on, might try a fresh coat of paint on the rims too. That seems to help.

4. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

A couple of layers of 2 sided duct tape will work till you wash the car several times then it gets loose. Used to have that problem with a 61 Dodge Phoenix I had.

Michael

5. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

I sell the repop caps and have not had any customer issues yet. But our roads are shit in places as with most countries I guess and one good size pothole is all it takes to lose one.
    I lost a four bar off the Nomad doing just that. I try and suggest Spider caps and trim rings now to customers who have your concerns.

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I bought a set of 4 bar Lancers that I put on my '63 T-Bird, well a rivet popped out and stuffed the cap up into the wheel well between the tire, body and skirt bending the fender skirt a little.....could have been worse!
    I still have the caps sitting in my garage!

7. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

I bought a set of repop 57 Caddys, the only problem I had was 1 of them kept flying off, I called the company and they sent me a replacement, never a problem since. I drove 300 miles round trip and no problems with falling off.

8. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

I did bend the tabs out a little already. Never thought about lining the inside edge of rim with gorilla tape or something, that seems like it would give it something more to grab onto?? I've seen the caps that bolt on with that under the center cap thing. Looks great, but the 4-bar spinners don't have anything in the middle to pop out. These aren't the 4 bars with the bullet in the center. Great thoughts guys, thanks!!!

9. Mercchev

Mercchev

After losing one on a trip to Paso a few years back, I put some clear silicone on the "teeth' of the caps after bending them out a little with some channel locks. Been over 10,000 miles with no problems since then. Just reapply a little more silicone when popping them off or on. Works like a champ.

10. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

the silicone sounds like a good idea, what kind would you recommend?

11. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I have used fabric/canvas tape on the inside of the wheels. It really gives something for the tabs to grab onto.

12. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I've heard that industrial velcro works well too.
    I picked it up for mine but not running caps at the moment to tell you first hand.

13. I've got a set of 3 bar spinners that came off a 59 Olds if you're interested.The background is silver blue and I have most of the clips that hold them on.PM if interested;I can't post pics on here for some reason.