Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholsery question/ help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AMC360, Feb 14, 2013.

1. AMC360

AMC360
    from Canada

I want to reuse the front bench seat in my 36 terraplane, but the springs are rotten and garbage. The frame is good so question is can i make a plywood base for the frame cut 2 large holes in it and cover with mesh straps and then use foam then cover with the material? Is the foam going to work and if so is there a limmit to the thickness of the foam I can use?

2. Keep

Keep

3. My wife did exactly that on the rear seat for an old Pontiac a few years ago. I built an "adapter" frame for her so she could mount the plywood to the stock base. Looked and worked great.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Foam comes in different densities and thicknessess...really soft all the way to "it'll hardly dent when I push on it." Check with your upholstery supply house...tell 'em what you are going to use it for...they have it all.

R-

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want original you can buy coil springs from upholstery supply places. They are still used in high end upholstered furniture.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s a seat out of a 40 Ford. Got rid of the springs. I used foam out of a pickup from a junkyard. Affordable and it will feel like a seat from the factory. I just built the seat base up and the seat back to the original configurations so it would appear stock.

Attached Files:

7. AMC360

AMC360
    from Canada

Thank you guy's, you told me exactly what i needed to here. Excellent.