Register now to get rid of these ads!

GPS based speedometer sensors, anyone admit to using one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Feb 12, 2013.

1. slammed

slammed

Yes, and likely a fuel shut off or ignition kill from afar.

2. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Yep, saw them at SEMA 2 years ago.....slick....

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

We have them on our 2010 and later built up custom Fire Engines and Rescue Rigs. The dispatcher also has immediate vehicle locating ability too.
    Normbc9

4. lesabre59

lesabre59

on my '31 Coupe and my 49 chevy truck i have 30-31" tall tires, i use a FREE app on my smart phone called Ulysses Speedometer that is a GPS speedo to verify how far off my actual cable speedo is off due to the tall tires, I have an Android based phone and it works great, has Trip, Compass, Avg speed, etc

Attached Files:

5. Doesn't Speedway sell their own(rebranded) version also? Or is it not the same?

6. and this is EXACTLY what they are going to do ..just watch

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yes, speedway also sells their "own" unit. Call me cheap, Jegs "own" unit is about 100 bucks less.

Jegs didnt have a gauge set that I liked that much and speedway did, so gauges from them, gps transponder from jegs.

8. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

I just put one in my '32 pickup from Veethree in Florida. Stuck it under my dash, no calibrating, just hook up 4 wires to your speedo and you are good to go.

9. BobMcD

BobMcD

Who would have thought that we would have this kind of technolgy that's available today? Amazing.

10. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

finally had a chance to install the new guages and gps unit into the 39,it was a very easy process ,everything is well marked and compact,calibrating was as easy as sitting in the garage holding the button on the gps unit till the needle reached 80mph on the guage realeasing the button and after 5 sec it was set!...very cool set up

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Have all of mine, slowly getting it installed, still a ways out from running it. My only complaint is that on the 61 ford with "no interior" I cant rout it anywhere other than the dash. I wish the antenna would unplug from the unit so i could rout it through the cab and put the eye in the back window or somewhere less obvious than the dash. Still it looks cooler than the cable coming out of the firewall.

12. Aviator

Aviator

I cannot get my classic to work correctly. It will work to 50 MPH and then dies. Company checked it and tells me that its OK. Think it is wired correctly and calibrated. Thoughts?

13. rat deuce

rat deuce

I put one in my 99 camaro after two hours of troubleshooting proved the car's computer had "issues". It works great, definately cheaper than a new computer. The only thing I notice is when it's really cold it takes longer to aquire the signal. Sat. radio does the same thing...

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I don't have a gps in my olds, but do have a digital dash, that has the dpeed adjustable. I used a gps to tell how dast I was driving and then set the spedo to match. It had two buttons that I had to hook to the brain for the dash, and presto the sped is 100% accurate

15. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Was working at an upholstery shop building boat interiors. It was there I

got the idea to go with a GPS unit like the boats used. So, I ordered up

an analog GPS speedo from Gaffrig, and had it customized by Classic Instruments,

to match my other gauges. That was about 8 years ago. :eek: Still working

on my hot rod, so I have no idea of how well it works :rolleyes:

(the face is actually HOK purple pearl)

[​IMG]

16. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

I ran the antenna cable down through the window defrost opening and will be installing and old school dash mounted tach so the little black box will be pretty well hidden, I've put 120 miles on the car with the new set up and its working perfectly ,The antenna cable on my GPS module screws into the side of the unit like a TV antenna cable, is yours all one unit?

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, my unit is all one piece. I guess thats what I get for buying the cheap one. Though I mounted it and routed it today, wont look that bad on the dash right in the middle up by the window trim.

18. Adam's Garage

Adam's Garage

Classic Instruments GPS Sky Drive can be mounted in a variety of locations so it doesn't have to be visible and there is no external antenna. Classic's will work with almost anyone brand's electronic speedometer as long as it takes a square signal wave. To program push the button on the Sky Drive, the speedometer will start to automatically go up (no driving required) and when it gets to 50 mph let it go. Also, they have an upgrade to the GPS unit called Sky Fence and is an anti-theft program. You can activate the Sky Fence to be triggered if moved a certain distance. So if you car is taken after 65 feet a relay is triggered and your horn and lights will start to go off if that's what you connect the relay to.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I went to car show following a friend of mine, who uses GPS since his speedo doesn't work. He said we were doing 65, however, my bone stock '63 Grand Prix indicated 85. I told him how fast he was going, he said his GPS said 65. I told him the news warned that satellite base equipment was going to be affect by sun spots that weekend and indeed we were doing 85.

20. Speed~On

Speed~On

Like HAMBer Lesabre59 stated there is a free speedometer app for any smart phone. The app is called UlysseSpeedometer. For those of you that don't have a speedo in your ride or if yours doesn't work, this may be a good option for you. Not sure if this is helpful I just want to make sure you're aware this exists. I have used this in my hot rod and it's pretty slick.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  21. This is the way to go for a bunch of reasons!

1> change tire size eg (taller or shorter tires,) no problem

2>change rear end gear ratios eg (going to a lower or higher ratio) no problem

3>Changing transmissions (no need to find and sometimes calibrate the speedo gears to make your speedo accurate,) no problem

4>anyone who has built a hotrod, knows that there is a limited amount of room to run cables & wires, ( with a GPS speedo everything is kept under the dash) no problem

22. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I have an app for the I-phone and it is just called speedometer. I matched it with a known good vehicle and a garmin unit. All three were within 1 mph of each other. That app also has a H.U.D. option. Throw the phone on the dash and it reflects on the windshield. The phone display in that mode is upside down and backwards so the reflection is viewed correctly.

23. Don68

Don68
    from Trenton

Most of the GPS senders I have seen work very well. One thing you need to check is the refresh rate. There are some units with a slow refresh rate and they tend to lag a bit. A lot of tunnels have air vents which allows a signal to reach to GPS senders so they still work. I have had a couple of glitches in NYC between some of the tall sky scrapers. Most receivers are receive only so you can not be tracked using one. One exception is the Classic unit Skydrive which has a locate option. You can be tracked with the locate option. I got mine here.

http://www.egaugesplus.com/gps-speedometer-senders.html

24. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

One question I've had about GPS speedometers-
    Somebody mentioned sunspots affecting how they work, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in how they work in heavily overcast and/or stormy situations. Seems that everything satellite-based I use (ie- my DirecTV and internet) has little fits sometimes during inclement weather. Anybody notice their GPS speedometers acting up in similar conditions?

25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

26. i changed from a richmond 6-speed to a g-force trans. the g-force has no way to hook up a speedo. due to it being a racing trans. so i went with the auto meter gps with my auto meter speedo. it works great.

27. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Awful hi-tech for the HAMB.

28. I use my GPS for a speedometer all the time. HRP

29. CAI

CAI

I know this thread is a bit old, but I did want you to know that there's now another option if you want to keep your original mechanical speedometer and drive that speedo via GPS technology. I patented Classic Speed® last year after 3 years of development, and our customers have nothing but rave reviews. I invented this device to keep the original mechanical speedometer in place and always have it read accurately no matter what modifications are made to the car. I really don't want this to be a shameless pitch, I simply wanted to let you know there's another, more vehicle-original option. Feel free to ping me through our website (http://www.classicautoinnovations.com) as I don't want to hijack this post to be a commercial...
    Brian