Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

Hey guys ! check out LEMONS Auctioneers..find them on line. They go all over TX getting rid of school surplus from auto,wood,welding classes. Ive seen many a tool sold cheap...even lathes and bridgport milling machines. I picked up a CAROLINA 60 ton press for $300.00 made in USA !! flop

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yeah, i guess when a school closes down its industrial arts classes and all those machines become "surplus"... sad when you think about it

3. encorecustoms.com

encorecustoms.com

Here's an update on the homemade dimple dies from page 89. I tried another method, still using the sheet metal punches used by electricians.
    I had a piece of some unknown solid plastic rod--about 2-1/2 inches diameter--scavenged from my Uncle Jim's 80-plus-year collection started by his father and my grandfather, Galen Wyatt, born in 1892.
    First, I drilled a hole in the center to put in a bolt to use for the center shaft.
    I used my drill press as a lathe and jury-rigged a vise with a chisel for the cutter to cut a 45-degree angle in it. I had to feed it slowly due to the reach of the chisel. Finished the cut with a file.
    I used the bolt from the sheet-metal punch, a large female punch die, and the plastic male die that I made.
    I worked! This dimple was deeper than before. I suspect that hardwood might also work for making a die. See the next thread entry for the rest of the pictures.
    Great thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. encorecustoms.com

encorecustoms.com

The rest of the pictures...
    I used the long punch to hold the pieces together so you could see the assembly.
    After I cut the 45 on the round plastic, I cut off half of the length.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Thank you however, that one of yours is much better executed. Mine has been sort of an evolutionary process over the past 8 or 9 years and it looks like it.

6. Jogyver

Jogyver

I keep accumulating more stuff in the shop and Im running out of space . I had the old heavy arse slip roller sitting on some saw horses. It's one of those things that you use once in awhile and you don't move it to often. So I came up with a simple solution to get it out of the way and make it mobile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I fab up this neat little rolling stand thats attached to the wall. I used the kids old trampoline enclosure frame that I was going to scrap. The wheels are slight arced to roll . Now I can schwing it out of the way.

7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Here is a tool I made...a press fixture to be used with a hydraulic press to allow you to remove 8-3/4 Mopar tapered axles bearings without damaging the retainers and without doing any grinding or cutting.

It works very well and turns a PITA job into a 3 minute affair.

Attached Files:

8. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Along the same lines as Jogyver's swing away slip roll stand, I made a rolling stand for my 4' brake. To keep it from moving and tipping over when lifting the apron, I made a swing down arm that you stand on - keeps it from rolling and tipping.

Brake Stand 3.jpg

Brake Stand 5.jpg

Brake Stand 6.jpg

9. NefariousKustoms

NefariousKustoms
    from Las Vegas

Here's a simple metal brake for my 20 ton shop press

[​IMG]

10. NefariousKustoms

NefariousKustoms
    from Las Vegas

Here's a simple metal brake for my 20 ton shop press

[​IMG]

11. NefariousKustoms

NefariousKustoms
    from Las Vegas

And here's my work station... Louver Press from Lowbuck Tool, Tubing Notcher from Baleigh, and Electric Bead Roller from ProTools

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. NefariousKustoms

NefariousKustoms
    from Las Vegas

This is my tubing bender and die stand for the JD2 with a Harbor Freight Ram. I built the ram mount similar to SWAG Offroad's mount. I also added one extra 3" clamp around the ram body that is not pictured.

[​IMG]

13. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

90 degree cheater bar.jpg
    i had a stuck bolt in the end of a framerail,behind a bumper.
    my cheater pipe wouldnt work,so i welded a piece of pipe 90 degrees across the end.
    got two clicks out of the ratchet,better than poking a torch in there and trying to cut it off blind.
    pick is a little hard to make out,but it was tight to even get a pic.to top it off,pic wants to stay upside down....

14. 3d_kot

3d_kot

This is my first butt welding clamp. I tried to make myself. I'll do some more. :)

Attached Files:

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can buy those for a buck apiece at HF. Just saying. I guess you don't have HF in Belarus. :)

16. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Nice going on the clamp and welcome here. The point of this post is to build something. Yes most of the tools on here can be bought but to make yourself is more fun.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  17. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Nice job,3d_kot.
    Always neat to make stuff.
    Welcome to the HAMB

18. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

They used to be worth the money, but the last set I bought I ended up throwing in the scrap pile. They weren't worth a shit! The quality was never there with hf shit, but when they loose the function what's the point. Id rather make some that work than buy some that don't!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i second that,you get what you pay for.
    going to build a couple sets for myself.
    no discount tool supplier around here.
    its expensive or long drive.

20. lawman

lawman

Nice work and welcome to the HAMB !!!!

21. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

There is a lot to be said about doing it yourself... after all, this IS the home made tool thread

22. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

can be made into muscles if your so inclined.

23. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Looks like, according to Google maps, the closest one is in Danvers, MA. I'm sure shipping would bring the HF cost up quite a bit :rolleyes:

24. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Work bench, third hand (vise), welding table, band saw, tool holder...
    And it's a wheel...easy to move around.

Everything in My garage is on wheels...pretty much

Attached Files:

25. rodl

rodl

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I apologize. I meant no offense. I cannot make them for what I can buy them for.

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Mine too except for the cars!

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nah, i dont think anyone is sore... just more fun sometimes to make something than it is to buy it... i agree with you on the butt weld clamps tho, you cannot make them for the price of harbor freight, even with shipping

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Just giving you a hard time with my comment.

I've made a lot of stuff that I could have bought cheaper but it's the thrill of the build plus many times I've altered or added to the part to make it either fit my purpose better or just make it better than the bought part.

30. Lmao !