Register now to get rid of these ads!

teenager fixing up her first car, needs help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madiketch, Feb 12, 2013.

1. smarg

smarg

Way to fight off Barney Fife. One of the many posting police on here, Kudos.

Looks good to me.

Glad you got the pictures to work.

Just dont take up smoking like the previous owner! The picture of the smashed up cigs made me chuckle.

2. RatPin

RatPin

3. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

hi. i noticed that you mentioned you had mice in the car. dont go pulling on anything without a good dust mask, and a thorough vacumeing as hantivirus is transmitted by mouse droppings. a thorough cleaning is required before and during disassembly of parts. ray ops i see its been mentioned.good luck on your car it sounds interesting

5. Your Falcon reminds me A LOT of my Comet. Looks like its in good shape and wont take too much to get it to where you want it to go. Look up the "Falcons done right" thread on here for some motivation. What are your plans for the car?

6. Used to have a '65 Comet, the Mercury version of the Falcon.

7. [​IMG]
    58A=4 door sedan
    F=Light Blue (Baffin Blue)
    72=Vinyl and Vinyl Blue or light Blue
    04A=Jan 4th
    Axle=3:10
    Trans=Fordomatic
    2(1962)
    T(Metuchen)
    12(4 door)
    U (6 cyl OHV 170 CI)
    146577 (consecutive number)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  8. Madiketch

Madiketch

After being sent home sick from school, I found out a few things today while I was resting and reading. I am pretty sure that:

A.) It's a deluxe sedan. That may seem obvious to some of the veterans here but that was a surprise to me. A good surprise none-the-less!

B.) It's a 6-170, not a 6-144. Feel free to correct me, but from what I've been reading in 1962 the 6-170 OHV engine I believe was an option for the falcon, since the engine was introduced in 1961. The 144 would be in the Falcon in '62 otherwise.

C.) Someone down the line changed the seats. I am taking somewhat of an educated guess on that because as I was reading about the Deluxe sedans, I never once saw one with the same seats as mine. They actually look more like the seats from the falcon wagons. Also, the back seat is completely removable, not bolted down or anything but it's settled in really safe and sound, I had to do some serious pulling to bring it up and find that out. If they have been changed, that would make sense as to why that isn't set. Again if I am wrong feel free to correct me.

I rested for the afternoon and felt well enough to go out and start my first full, non-interrupted work session on the car. I started with cleaning the interior out. Like I previously mentioned, I want to wait to play around with any engine/electrical stuff until my manual comes in and I can understand what it should all look like. What I am doing now to the car is basically busywork-bottom of the importance list type of stuff. Oh Man, the last owner was not only a smoker but a fast food addict! I found ketchup packets and napkins and paper plates under the seats. I was praying I wouldn't find any rotten hamburgers or anything haha. I washed the dashboard top to bottom, including the ash tray. I dumped the cigarettes and washed the tray. I won't be smoking so I figure giving that a good wash will enable it for a different job. I cleaned the inner door vinyl. I pulled out all the knobs to see if they would actually come out, and cleaned them. The horn, which was working, now only works half the time, and then gives either a lower pitched hoot or just coughs a bit. I'm not worried about that though. I turned the air breather in the right direction. I also cleared the mouse nest from the dash where the speaker and vents are. While cleaning that completely out I got a peak of the defroster ducts and noticed one was badly ripped. Most likely from the mouse that made it his home. It took so much darn time to clean off just the dash and doors that it was getting way too cold to sit outside and work any longer. Darn Pennsylvanian winters!

Lots of learning going on, lots of experimenting and lots of respect for you guys. I am sorry if I am dragging this out or not really going anywhere with it yet, but as someone who went from absolutely no understanding to understanding more and more every day, it's nice to see a thread every once in a while that explains it all. My manual is coming soon and then you'll really get to see this kid break a nail or two ;) Thank you so much for all of the advice. I have been writing it in my project journal so I won't lose any of the information given.

9. Madiketch

Madiketch

10. Madiketch

Madiketch

When I decoded it, I found the rear axle was 3.50:1..? Either I followed it wrong, or the decoder itself was wrong or...? Other than that I got the exact same results. And what IS a Baffin??? haha. Your post has maybe changed my mind on my seats. They still don't look like other Deluxe interiors but they are blue and light blue vinyl

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Maddi, next time your out working and gettin' dirty, crawl under the front floor wells and take a look up. See if the metal there is sound and not patched together out of other pieces. These cars are unibodies, and the front frame rails tie into the floor just under the driver and pasengers foot wells. If they aren't perfectly sound you need to get them up to snuff before you really start driving the car. It sounds much worse than it really is, but it is a critical component.

12. Madi,
    I used a 1st printing 1962 FoMoCo Falcon manual ta' decode it- subsequent printin's may'a been superceded...

[​IMG]

In other words, my way-old manual could be mistaken...

13. Madiketch

Madiketch

my boyfriend's father just mentioned the exact same thing. That is written on my to do list for next available oppertunity

14. Madiketch

Madiketch

I'll take your word then. I found a falcon website that had all of the meanings on it. Certainly not a first printing 1962 manual. thanks

15. [Also, the back seat is completely removable, not bolted down or anything but it's settled in really safe and sound, I had to do some serious pulling to bring it up and find that out. If they have been changed, that would make sense as to why that isn't set. Again if I am wrong feel free to correct me. ]

Usually the only bolts in the back seat are at the bottom of the back cushion. There are two tabs at the bottom of the cushion and two corresponding holes in the floor. The bottom cushion is only pushed in place and is held by two hooks near the front of the cushion. Good Luck with your project.

16. Madiketch

Madiketch

Okay, that makes sense because the back of the seat is secured in and the back seat is pushed in place. That helps alot. So it is suppose to be like that? haha. It seems as if it could be removed for storage or something.

17. Hey Madiketch! Just found this thread so welcome to the HAMB. You've come to the right place. Like others have said - it's all fixable and you will learn a ton of things! You are on the right track. Just plug away - one thing at a time...

1962 was a good year (kinda overlook the Cuban Missile Crisis and the brewing shenanigans in Vietnam, etc). My son is working on his 62 Nova as we speak.

My first car was a 31 Ford and I learned great lessons. One thing I didn't learn was to hold on to it! Million times wished I still had it!
    Good Luck!!

18. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I like this girl.... put him in his place with class... good for you honey..

Congratulations on your Falcon... I'm really glad to see teenagers show an interest in older vehicles... and yes your right, restoring your car will give you and your father some quality bonding time... just be patient and don't get discouraged when you come up on a problem that seems impossible to over come... we've all been there and it just makes you feel that much better when you do fix it...

19. quote:"This is my first time working on a project like this and I don't want to let my dad down!"
    Trust me..your dad is very proud. You're a very impressive young lady. Learn my slogan.."I can do this!"

20. Madiketch

Madiketch

I forgot to mention my goals for the falcon. I know someone had asked a while back. First thing's first is getting it to drive and be road worthy and safe. It's got to get me to and from school, my beau's house, and any other reasonable trips. Anything after that is up in the air, but I want to keep it as stock or period appropriate (60's decals, accessories etc.). As much as I love and appreciate a good hot rod or custom, there's something about driving a car that looks like it just rolled off the lot. I'm extremely proactive so I will keep working on this until there is nothing else I am able to do. I guess it just depends on how much it costs to fix the current problems. I've got an after school job but that money has to pay for my insurance and gas (the deal was in order for my folks to foot the bill for the car I cover insurance, gas, and my ambitions)

21. Madiketch

Madiketch

Well we're only .50 apart from each other so at least I didn't get some off the wall number

I'll ask around the gear-heads in my family and get their take on it

22. I have a repro '60-'62 manual with '63 supplement . It shows axle code 5 for a '62 as 3.50 . The difference between 3.50 and 3.10 is a lot more engine rpms at highway speeds ; this is compounded by the lack of reasonably priced 13" tires , presuming yours still has 13" wheels , which have a height that matches the original tires . Most Falcon owners , especially with the 144 or 170 , have replaced the 13" wheels with at least 14" for a better tire size selection . I presently still have 13" wheels with relatively tall tires which are no longer available except as mentioned above - $$$ at a specialty tire seller , so I have some 14" wheels waiting . Since you want to keep your Falcon close to original I again recommend also joining one or both of the Falcon sites - after all the focus here is customizing and/or hot-rodding .

23. You mentioned the defroster ducts had been chewed up by mice. These were made of heavy paper over a wire coil. Two good replacement options. There is aluminum flex tubing used on many '70s and 80s cars to carry warm air from exhaust manifold to air cleaner that is the right diameter, or there is plastic flex hose you can get at swimming pool supply places. The aluminum flex tubing is available at any parts store. I grabbed the hose off a junk vacuum cleaner to replace defrost ducts on my '55 Ford. Just cut it length and stick it on there.

24. I just noticed ya' got the original defroster duct housing with the cool little flap door in it:

[​IMG]

Looks like either yer' temp control or heater control cable is broken/hanging down, too.

It'll be easy ta' figure out what cable is broken- carefully pull on the "pull for temp" or "pull for heat/fan" knob- whatever one has the least resistance has the broken cable.

If it's the "pull for heat/fan" knob, be careful not ta' pull the knob completely out'a the dash - you'll end up with no heater/defrost fan untill you replace the cable 'cuz the fan switch (knob) is an integal part'a the "pull for heat/fan" cable...

Ask me how I know....

25. dclickster

dclickster

VIN plate should be in either on the glove box door or inside drivers door jamb. Classic Ford Parts in OK City or Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts in Charlotte N.C. Should be able to help you locate parts. They are both online. Also, try to locate Classic Falcon club if one exists.

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A point about the burn in the headliner. It could be from the wire for the dome light, if it was chewed through and then grounded out against the metal roof. But I'm a smoker myself, and believe me...there have been multiple times that I accidentally grazed the headliner with my cigarette. Often, the hot ember will come off and fall down on me...possibly down the collar of my shirt, or in my hair. Then you'd see me pulled alongside the road, outside the car, and jumping around like a madman...lol. Btw...as far as tar coating...it is on everything. Just look at the cleaning rag as you wipe the inside of the windshield. Yuck!

Concerning getting sick from the mouse dust. As far as I know, the Hunta Virus carried by mice in this country is only found in the southwest. You're nowhere near there...so don't be overly concerned. But enough of almost any kind of germs can hurt you...so still wear protective gear. Even the eyes are a portal of entry for pathogens, so goggles in addition to the mask are a good idea. Be aware that the mice may have built nests in the headliner, and I think the only way you'd ever get it all out is to remove the headliner. Push against the headliner in all locations. If you feel a big lump...it's a nest. Even if there are no nests, there could be plenty of little tiny poop pellets and dried urine in there. If you don't get it out, the rushing air as you drive down the road can stir up the dust and send it into the interior of the car...and you'll be breathing it. This is one of the reasons that some guys have no headliner in their old cars...they had to pull it out, and haven't replaced it yet. You may be able to loosen the headliner around the edge, pull it back, and check/fix the wire. But if there are nests, I'd pull it right out. Maybe it can be washed and reinstalled. Or get a new one eventually. Nothin' wrong with giving the underside of the roof a coat of paint to make it look decent. Maybe a brush paint job to avoid overspray on everthing. Maybe a crazy design just for kicks. I'm full of dumb ideas...lol.

27. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

Ah those falcons are fun! Just scrub the hell out of the interior and get a bunch of those trees air fresheners and place them all over. The cigarette smoke smell will eventually go away.

28. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Get a bag of Charcoal and put it in empty ice cream pails and put that in your car, it will help take the smell out.

29. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

It's nice to see another Falcon in the HAMB ranks. Considering I've got a square-body-bird, there's probably not a lot for me to share, but I wouldn't have come this far without this board and the guys at TFFN.net (which I saw recommended earlier). A bunch of those guys are also here under the same or similar user names. They are brilliant when it comes to the Falcon, and they're happy to help.

Lastly, search for: "falcons done right" for motivation, and "doing falcons right" for education.

Good luck!

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

30. Jumping in here as I hope to be the dad in this situation someday soon with my own daughter. The falcon is exactly the car I've picked for her.

Get something to fix that battery stay under the hood and toss those rubber straps. Do all the usual maintenance first and inspect all the fluids for stuff like bits of metal or anything funky. Be sure to do all the filters including the fuel. The manual you ordered should have instructions on doing all of this and it shouldn't be too tough even for a beginner.

For the smell. Well. Personally I'd say order a new molded carpet and replace the existing carpet and padding. Take the carpet out when you order it to clean the seats, inspect the floor for holes to be patched. Then you can clean up any rust or problems with the floor manually. New carpet comes and install it to enjoy that new car smell for a while.

Also. I'll be subscribing to follow the progress of this one. Good luck!