Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fellow MOPAR guys! Info needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wedgehead63, Feb 14, 2013.

1. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

I am working on a 1941 Plymouth convertible project for a friend. It is a total rust bucket and we have decided to do a graft of the cowl and other areas to a usable coupe. Question is what year models and body styles (business or club coupe) will interchange? I really don't care if it is a 41 or not. Who has some info? Thanks Hambers!

2. Most of the front end stuff is interchangeable within all body styles of the '41 Plymouth.

3. wedgehead63

wedgehead63
    from Auburn KY

Thanks. Any idea if any Dodge bodies will work?

4. Scott K

Scott K

I would think that the only years that you could use would be a 40 or 41. Just a guess on my part, but I believe that the coupe and sedan have the same cowl, might be the same as the convert though the convert may have additional reinforcements.

5. George

George

Might be a good idea to make a flat cowl for easier engine fit @ this point.

6. Dodges have a longer front clip/engine than a Plymouth.....won't interchange. I believe they have quite a different configured cowl, too.

7. Plymouth in 1940 and 41 used the same body shell for all its Coupes.........1940 had Business Coupes with the single split bench seat and a few Auxillary Seat Coupes with the same bench seat and small folding Auxillary seats behind the bench, then 1941 had the same setup, mostly business Coupes with the one split bench and a number with the auxillary seat..........both yrs used the one same body shell.........1942 was the 1st yr for the longer roofed Plymouth Club Coupe with the full sized rear seat, but Plymouth continued to offer a Business Coupe with the 40/41 short roof till 1948.
    As far as I am aware the cowl apart from the upper front pillar area where the folding top fits should be the same for ALL 1940/41 Plymouths, ie the cowl/firewall, cowl sides etc from a sedan would also be a usable swap........and I think that any cowl up to 1948 would or could be a suitable donor if necessary so long as the yr specific bits were unpicked.........depends on how badly yours is and how good the donor is......lol........regards, andyd

8. 1959apache

1959apache

long story short 1940 and 1941 plymouth bodies/frames are the same. the only difference with the fenders and front clip are the fender ribs, grill, and one piece hood. The dashes are different between 1940 and 1941 plymouth. a lot of everything will swap. The shocks are the same from 1940-1946 (I have air shocks on mine from a 46). Look for a 40/41 4 door and you can steal a lot of parts off of it that you can use.

Try Plymouthdoctor here on the HAMB. He is one of only a few folks that actually sell decently made patch panels for these vehicles (he specializes in old mopar patch panels). He is in Michigan and is a really standup guy.

Here is his website: http://www.theplymouthdoctor.com/

9. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I think you will find the convertible windshield to be two or three inches shorter than the coupe at least the later 46-50 are

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The convertible needs to have the trunk lid from the business coupe. The cowl for the convertible is the same one used for the woody wagon. The convertible and woody frames were also the same. 42 and later frames while the same wheelbase were a different design.

11. jbtine

jbtine

40 and 41 are close. The reason I say that is the 40 has a gull wing opening hood so no hood hinges on the side of the cowl like the 41s front opening hood. Are the two years cowls the same ????????

12. jbtine

jbtine

I looked at a friend's 40 coupe today. It is not recessed where the hood hinge bolts to the cowl like my 41 is. I also know the trunk hinges between the two years are different. The 40 has a trunk prop mechanism to keep the trunk open. My 41 has springs built into the hinges to keep the trunk open.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777213 Post #5 tells a lot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013