Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beginners upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BetsyVanDeVille, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

I have a 54' Ford Customline and I am about to tear down the bench seat upholstery with the foam and everything! I'm curious on where to find he foam big enough to fit the frame. Also how I shape it? Honestly, everything from beginning to end? Any help, websites, and tutorials? Thanks!

2. Seen some really cool threads about guys cutting up old leather couches and making full blown interiors. Seriously...

Anyone have a link?

3. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

I will take a look and see what I find...

4. Well.....I don't know where you live, but there are businesses that sell foam
    rubber. May or may not be one close to you. Or, maybe a regular upholstry shop might be able to help.

Also, someone once told me
    the best thing to cut foam rubber with is an electric carving knife. I tried cutting
    some thick foam with other instruments and they didn't work very well.

Good luck on your project.

5. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Depending how you compose the search, Google can put you onto dozens of related sites with u tube videos that are not too bad. I am always looking for videos on how trimmers approach covers from scratch. Go easy on the existing covers and foam cause that's your pattern for the new stuff. Since you're on Mars we can' direct to any any possible local sources. There is a subset of this site that specializes in car interior work. Good Luck: Fred A

6. Moondog13

Moondog13

California Bills Automotive Upholstery Handbook. Really good book for beginning upholstery.

There is also thehogring.com a lot of useful stuff there.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. capmotorsports

capmotorsports

Go to you tube, they have a few, also Jo Anne Fabrics has foam.

8. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

We have a Jo Anns fabric here on mars, gotta check em out, by chance do you know if the foam is expensive?

9. jimstro16

jimstro16

Jo Anns has it but it was more expensive than I expected. I bought it there anyways just for convenience.

Also try midwestfabrics.com

If you are buying a lot it might be cheaper even with shipping it. I've bought material from them in the past and had good luck

10. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

11. 1959apache

1959apache

the end of my build thread has how to build a seat. Pretty easy stuff.

12. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Foam is expensive, at least for me. I have good luck putting a new foam "cap" on top of the existing stuff if it's not too bad. If you aren't too picky you can find some decent material in the sales bin. My f-100 bench took almost 4 yards. Found some neat houndstooth patterned fabric for $7/yard. All of this came from Hancock's, our local sewing store.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

Well, I am picky, lets say OCD! I would rather do something right the first and not have to go back and deal with it later, plus I want this to look good! I go all out!

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Rader's fabrics in Danville, Indiana. Tell him what foam you are looking for. Thickness, firmness, size. Best prices on foam anywhere. Use a turkey cutter to shape it. Keep your old covers for patterns. I have found new foam is crazy expensive. This place has a stock pile of old new foam thru out the shop.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. the shipping would be killer.....LOL

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yeah, electric carving knife to cut it......AND you can also use a sander to shape it, i.e. rounded corners.
    If you can't find an auto upholstery shop to buy the foam, a regualr fabric shop, or place that upholsters chairs and sofas might sell it to you.

17. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The foam to ask for is topper pads,1'' x 24'' x 60''.Get the high grade ,may take 2 per cushion.I sell them to my customers here at 24.00.That thickness cut with a razer blade. Strip to the frame and springs repair as needed. Lay a piece of burlap over that,then a layer of carpet jute,then Foam , let the foam hang over the edges a couple inches, don't put hogrings in the foam, only glue. Works every time. Jack

18. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

A good old electric carving knife will do the trick.
    I use a axle grinder and a flap disc to round the corners, that works fine but it give a lot of foam around the garage!!(i have a party tent so i only have to clean that part)haha
    The big pieces can also be cut with a electric saw...

19. Moedog07

Moedog07

Since my vehicles are not always the most weather-proof I check out Marine / boat grade foam and upholstery materials when doing at home upholsterery.

20. BetsyVanDeVille

BetsyVanDeVille
    from Mars

Thanks everybody, you all are very helpful I appreciate it so much...