Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I bend Luan plywood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Feb 14, 2013.

1. 5window

5window

I have found some 1/8" luan plywood (as opposed to PVC foam board) that I would like to use for the interior panels in my Model A (to be covered with vinyl). I am going to need to bend and form them to match the curvature at the rear corners of the cab. What's the best way to form them and to get them to stay formed?

Thanks

2. txturbo

txturbo

steam works really good

3. Fenders

Fenders

Steam them?

I need panels inside also -- what do others use?

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

do a google search for steam bending. not sure if it works on plywood though.

5. Wet it and following the grain wrap it around some type of cylinder,,like a welding tank,,use some ratchet tie down straps add slowly add pressure.

I prefer to use fiberboard used for automotive door panels,,it is much easier to shape. HRP

6. txturbo

txturbo

I used it on my tear drop camper for the front section. Will be easier if you make a buck to form it over so you can get to the edges to clamp it down until it drys. Then just clamp one edge and lay hot wet towels on it and heat with a heat gun. As it relaxes you can clamp it. let it dry out and unclamp. Was pretty easy on the camper because I could attach the top edge and let gravity pull down on the plywood while I was heating the wet towels.

7. I use 1/16th alum for those corners on "A s"
    Luan is like a thin plywood and dont even steam too well..

8. 5window

5window

Do you have any pictures you could post or PM me? Thanks.

9. chubbie

chubbie

most plywood will curl up if you remove the outside "ply" any thing less than 24" i put in my drum sander. whole sheet i use my belt sander. wet the sheet or soak will help at this point, but the wet ply can't be glued then. in the sharp corners in my model A i sanded the "area" thinner" i did use releaf cuts in the bottom centered on the wood supports/ glued stapled. i patterned the piece with card board to fit tight between the upright steet structure behind the 1/4 windows. i glued everything and pushed it in. you'll get one chance..it isn't com'n out

10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i would suggest that you abandon the idea of using luan plywood. it has cross plys and may not give you a satisfactory result. i would be more inclined to use "bendable" plywood, where all the veneers are arranged in the same direction [ very flexible ]. you will not find this material at home depot or lowes, you will find this material at a hardwood supply house.

11. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

Door skins are thinner and easier to bend than luan. I used ratchet straps and formed the bend I needed and then used a coat of fiberglass resin followed by a layer of Kitty Hair which worked fine on my application which was a center firewall cover for my 58 GMC.

12. As a cabinet builder for more years than I would like to admit. I use a 3/8" ply that goes by the trade name of wiggle board. It comes with grain horizontal or vertical. It works like a pretzel. Holds form and easily shaped.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Have a cabinet builer friend (or one with a table saw)set their blade to just nick the
    ply of the luan to cut regularly-spaced birdsmouth cuts in a perpendicular line to your contour.This will allow the luan to bow to the arch you desire.
    I've done this with good results to form archways for drywall and inserts for walls too.
    This is the procedure in mind for my door panels for my M5 doors.
    Best of luck with your project!

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

When Hollywood Hotrods built the '40 Coupe for the road tour, they used pie shaped pieces to build the corner panels. See if you can find the tech article in Street Rodder.

15. 41 C28

41 C28

I lightly scored it and wet it down just a little when I built my teardrop.
    Didn't have any way of steaming it.

16. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I just did the inside panels for the roadster and also used 1/8" luan with great success. I just took a razor knife and scored the back of the plywood every 1/2" in a vee configuration as mine was not a sraight bend. I then just applied the upholstery to the outside face all flat and when I installed it, it rolled right around and formed the curve with no effort. I guess I just didn't know about all that complicated wetting, heating, steaming, ragging, etc.

17. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Consider using aluminum for the corners and dont fool with wood.

18. Have you considered ABS plastic, I have used it several times and it is not only mouldable but bendable. You can get as thin as 1/16, I use 1/8, contact cement works well on it, much easier IMO than luan.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Can you bend or form the material and fasten it in place with staples and glue? Cut mounting ribs of wood or plywood for the top and bottom edge and fasten the plywood to that?

Or, form the wood to shape and glue 2 sheets together? It should hold its shape then.

For bending and making backings for upholstery, tempered Masonite is better. Get the dark tempered stuff, it is waterproof and longer lasting than the untempered light colored kind. I think the tempered is all they sell in lumber yards.

Be aware it is very tough and hard to staple or fasten things to.

20. How many ways to skin a cat you say.......

21. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Yup, and Fessenden Hall also has 1/8" wiggle. Rough cut 2 pieces for each corner. Glue 2 pieces together, and temp screw in place and to each other. When the glue dries, remove all screws, and cut corner pieces to exact size.

22. TomWar

TomWar

I also am a cabinet builder, and have used bendable plywood many times. Usually bend to desired shape and glue 2 pieces together. It comes in 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8"

23. 5window

5window

Thanks to all. I have enough woodworking tools that I could easily kerf and bend plywood. ABS/PVC foamborad is a consideration, but the nearest supplier is much further away. I have the standard black "cardboard for the doors, and an underboard headliner in place. It's the curved interior panels at the quarters that will be interesting.

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Masonite.

25. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I wouldn't mess with plywood. It's hard to bend and won't take steam well. If you build a radius "buck" and glue very thin layers of veneer and clamp until dry, it will work. But that's a lot of work. As others said, just use aluminum or sheet metal.

26. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

You can't bend masonite.

Obviously you have never heard of bening plywood (wiggle board)

http://packardforestproducts.com/pr...plywood/bending-plywood/#sthash.y6YO3lnC.dpbs

27. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I put the 1/8 luan in the swimming pool over nite and it bent niceley. I used it for the corners on my deuce.

Attached Files:

28. chubbie

chubbie

For bending and making backings for upholstery, tempered Masonite is better. Get the dark tempered stuff, it is waterproof and longer lasting than the untempered light colored kind. I think the tempered is all they sell in lumber yards.

Be aware it is very tough and hard to staple or fasten things to.[/QUOTE]

a class action law suit says masonite is not waterproof

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used ABS plastic for interior panels in my convertible. I did not have to bend them, but, with a little heat, ABS plastic will become very easy to mold to shape

30. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Look for Uniply where all the sheets are oriented the same direction. It's a couple bucks more per sheet. We use it in our RV's when we want a 6" or larger radius corner.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app