Register now to get rid of these ads!

How horrible are these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grudge, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Set in 8 hours :rolleyes:, hmm I think not ,that's why those people are always at the water cooler:eek:

2. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Bucket seats out of a 61 to 67 econoline p/u or van with the base modified works great, and I think are fairly comfortable.

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I thought they looked pretty good too Russco. No B on the ones I linked.

4. GREASER815

GREASER815

I'd rather ride on the floor than spend my money on those. There are a lot of better looking seats out there for less money.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I dont think they had those (your link) when I bought mine in 2005 or I probably would have went with them. They do look better, but overall the ones in mine I have to say work well. I should get them recovered though.

6. rockfish

rockfish

All these people people telling you those seats look like tractor seats don't know what they're talking about. THEY LOOK LIKE FORKLIFT SEATS!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Another one that I have used that fits with an early sixties theme is a common VW lowback seat with the tube base removed. These were fairly popular back in day too. And I have put millions of miles with thses under my butt and I find them damn comfy too. Oh, the same deal can done with later high back VW buckets with the headrest tube cut off and early covers.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. I like those. I REALLY like those!

9. [​IMG]
    Middle seat from an old van. I took it off the pipe frame and rewrapped the material around the springs. The back hangs on the OE hooks, it was free looks okay and the ride much better than most. MW

10. [​IMG]
    Forgot this pic. MW

11. [​IMG]
    Sorry here's is a better one.MW

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can't believe I opened that link.:eek: It seems you've seen the error of your ways, so I won't make a smart ass remark. The office type chairs looked pretty good. Keep in mind, early cars were simple cars design wise. Things get goofy when you try to over complicate things. Look into some of the suggestions that have been tosssed out and I'm sure you'll find something that works and is comfortable. Look at the angle of the back piece and check the foam in the butt section. Thick is not always good.

I just got done redoing my seats. I made them myself and they're designed for MY comfort. Put more thought into personal comfort and stay away from cheap crap. Your butt and back will love you after a couple hundred miles.

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

There was a really nice set of seats for sale on here just this week, if I recall.

Anybody remember seeing these?

Rich

14. I like glass seats, low back V dubbs and boat seats work well also.

Hell I have even seen cars with bar stools that looked good and were comfy if you are not old.

I am trying to figure out a way to get a pair of reclining rockers in my next car. :D

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

16. OK,it's not too difficult to make a seat using plywood and high density foam and some sort of material,,staple gun and a few cans of spray adhesive.

This is just one simple way we do it,and probably not the only way to skin a cat.

Start by cutting the plywood to configure within the dimensions of your cab then grab that electric carving knife that your wife has under the kitchen cabinet that has probably never been used,,this is what you will now care foam with.

Take your high density foam and cut it to mirror your plywood,,you should now have a back and a bottom,,the next step is to grab a sharpie and measure 12" wide lines front to back and number them,,1 through whatever and after the number but a T for top and B for bottom,,this will help when reassembling the foam blocks and keeping them in order.

Sounds nuts but now start cutting the lines and you start having numbered blocks of foam all over the place,,at this point we generally turn them on the the fresh cut side and grab the sharpie again and draw out a line for the couture of the seat bottom and back,,starting with number 1 "T" and 1 "B",,use number one as a pattern and proceed down the line.

When you are happy with the look start using the spray adhesive to reassemble the foam blocks in order,remember to spray both pieces for a permanent bond ,once you have the seat back and bottom back in two manageable pieces you can carve the edges if you desire a smooth edge.

Next step is to stretch your material over the foam and plywood,,pull tight and staple working your way from the center out,,

You can chose to spray your material and your foam for a tighter fit,,less wrinkles but that would be a personal preference.

All in all it's not a professional job but it's worked for me for 7 years now.

The "Fruit Salad" seat has served me well.HRP

[​IMG]

Yeah,I know the second photo is fuzzy but I'm not in the position to take a better photo at the moment,,I'm sure you get the idea.

[​IMG]

17. You can't tell which one is in focus.......that material is wild!

18. Grudge

Grudge

Thanks guys, lots of really good suggestions. I'll keep shopping around, make a trip to the pick-n-pull, etc. Originally I was thinking buckets but they would be so close together a bench might make more sense.

Aaron

19. Long story short,my mom bought this canvas type material for kitchen curtains in 1964 but when my dad came home he said not no,but hell no,so it was stuck back in the bag and forgotten.

I found the material in their house after both my parents had passed away in 1999 and remembering very vividly what had transpired that night back in 64 I threw the bag in the truck and took it home planning a show and tell with my wife,kids and grand kids.

The bag laid around in my old shop until I started looking for something to cover the seat in my pickup and ran across the material once again,,I decided to use the material temporarily,,that was in 2007,,it's still in use today.:rolleyes: HRP

20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Keep the seat ideas rolling! I need to come up with something good (and cheap) for my Willys......

21. chubbie

chubbie

hay grudge.. i do like the above office chair!! your question came to soon. good friend is finishing up a 3 year project and says were going to torque fest in may! that means he's going to drive it! well in the past he trailered every thing. now he bought bombers. i know why, so he can get the xtra leg room with the seat way back. he brings it up and i say your sure you can sit in them at 70 MPH for 4 hours strait??? "Oh ya i can" i have mustang seats in the model A and after 4-6 hours on the road i walk like i have a cob up the a$$

22. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Ive used old driver seats out of school busses, easy and cheap and usually has seatbelts attached to the stand.

23. ev88f

ev88f

The office chair idea is really cool. Ive never really looked at them that way. For other small seats that look the part, check out VW lowbacks or early (like 2 stroke early) saabs if you can find one. Old jeeps too

24. jarhead

jarhead

That "B" logo is for Bestop....manufacturer for jeep parts .....CJ jeep lowback seats are the same thing if that helps....

25. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I have 65 mustang buckets in my car, I like um.

26. my 38 ford truck has older aviation seats out of a small plane and the fit fine. these trucks are SMALL and i'm 6'6" and 400lbs and i fit (but BARELY) :)! folks must have been way smaller back in the 30's.

27. 61 chevy

61 chevy

your dad was right, that rod deserve better :eek:

28. n847

n847

I recomend the jeep seats! The 70's van seats work pretty good too!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I used to own a '66 and you're right. The early, '65-'66,Mustang seats would fit perfectly in an old rod. I'm surprised not many guys use them. Or maybe they just don't think of them.