Register now to get rid of these ads!

Setting deadlines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevelle bob, Feb 13, 2013.

1. chevelle bob

chevelle bob
    from Linton

I am rebuilding my 52 Chevy Hardtop and have not been able to get into my shop for a few weeks due to other obligations. I wondered do most of you guys set deadlines for when a project will be done or for different stages of the build? Or do you just do what you can and when it gets done it gets done? Forgive me if this topic has been brought up. I did a search but did not find what I was looking for.

Thanks,

2. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I set deadlines or goals.
    then when I miss those deadlines, I set new ones
    repeat
    repeat

3. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

I really like deadlines. In particular, the whooshing sound they make as they pass my ears.

4. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Ya not very offend do I hit my goals. For some reason I still set them:/

5. txturbo

txturbo

I try to break the project down into milestones with a rough completion date. my current 55 Chevy truck project has a milestone coming up this weekend. Firing up the motor for the first time.Then the next one is to have it roadworthy by LSR time. Doesn't always work out but it helps keep things moving if you have something to shoot for.

6. mustangsix

mustangsix

When you have a project car, do SOMETHING every week just to keep it alive, otherwise, life will overtake you and your project will start to gather dust, eventually turning into a "barn find".

7. Grudge

Grudge

I've heard some people say they don't set deadlines because it would take the fun out of it. I'm lazy by nature so I need pressure to keep me working, so a deadline (even an arbitrary one) works OK for me. For example I'd like to drive to Bonneville this year in my pickup.

Deadlines can also force you to achieve an incredible amount of work in a short time. In 2011 my buddy and I build this OT car in six months.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2011-n600-west-coast-challenger/33452/page1/

Many late nights, sometimes with no sleep but we got it done. I'm not working that hard right now so it's a little more enjoyable.

Aaron

8. Gator

Gator

I usually use an upcoming car show or event as a deadline, makes it sort of a fun challenge to have your ride ready for a road trip or cruise as opposed to just a set date.

9. I don't think it's a bad idea to set a goal or deadline but for some reason or another rarely do most of us ever achieve them on time.

The car has been in my wife's family since it was new but had seen much better days.

Case in point,When I started the Ranch Wagon project shortly after joining the Hamb in 2003 with the goal of having it running and drivable by my wife's upcoming 50 birthday in October,,it was just going to clean it up and get it dependable.

[​IMG]

That deadline came and went in the blink of an eye when I discovered just how must rust and just how bad the car was.

So a new goal was set,,I'll give myself plenty of time and shoot for her 54th birthday,,during this time I sold my business,her dad was sick and passed away,,her mom got sick and passed away,,and she bought her business,,hundreds of things prevented me from getting all I wanted to do done,,so during this time I was able to get all the sheet metal repaired and decided to farm out the paint and body work.

Big mistake,,the car was tied up for 3 years and nothing really got done.

[​IMG]

I decided to go get the car and do it myself,,setting no deadline this time.

Long story short,,the car finally hit the road in late March last year.
    9 years and 1 month from the day I literately drug the car out of the barn.
    HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  10. Years ago I was building a 1967 Mustang Trans Am car for a guy. It wasn't moving along too quickly so he asked if I could have it done for Labor Day (There is a Big show that we do very year). It seemed like a reasonable deadline.

So after the 7th Labor Day came and went, I felt bad and bought the car from him, figuring maybe if it were now mine I might get more inspired. I figured wrong and sold it unfinished two years later ......

To this day whenever we talk about a car that i am doing and someone asks when it will be done, Greg responds "Labor Day"

But 4 months ago I set a deadline of the GNRS for a RPU I was doing. Got it done and showed it to great reviews ~ so sometimes they work for me, and sometimes they don't.

11. reality; dead lines are good, keeps progress moving.
    reality; life gets in the way of keeping deadlines.
    reality; breath in, breath out.

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

That's what I do.

13. I don't set deadlines, It's a hobby not a job so why add the stress of a time limit. just enjoy the build.

14. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work on the cars to get away from deadlines. Deadlines turn into work ( for me).

15. Midget25

Midget25

I do set goals, I sometimes get them do in the time I set sometimes not. I hate telling someone what time frame I'm am thinking, then when you don't get it done in time they can't understand what the hold up was. Oh and these are always the guys that buy the completed car or pay to have their work done.

16. Deadline or not, I like to do at least one thing on my "in progress" projects every day, even if I have to force myself. Usually once I get there and start, its still fun. And there aren't any makeup days, once the day is gone, you never get it back.
    So go clean a part, weld a crack, find and buy that part you know you'll need soon, just don't skip one becasue as several have said, one becomes two, two become a week, and pretty soon it's just junk in the way of something else you need to do.

17. rustang

rustang

I try to break the project down into small doses, then set deadlines for each as i work on them... most of time I miss, but many other times I make the deadline.... my worst fear is losing interest, then the project sits, sits, and I never get back to it, losing all the money and time invested....
    Tom

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Steps. I work in steps.
    Step 1, frame.
    Step 2, rolling chassis.
    Etc.

Deaadlines remind me of one of the reasons why I hate watching hotrod shows on TV.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

exactly.

20. I am going to drive my shoebox to the 2011 HAMB Drags if it kills me, dammit.

21. txturbo

txturbo

sorry....that was from a past life......we are talking about your current life now.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This sounds like my approach.

23. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Oh I've set plenty, missed them all!! A couple of my previous cars had deadlines, car shows, all booked in so had to be done. That was before I grew up, proper job, kids etc, now i just dont know where the time goes.
    My new deadline? I may got the 40 driving this year, I may not.

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

I only got one deadline and I'm putting that one off as long as possible.

25. Voh

Voh

My goal is to drive my '41 to the 15th Lonestar Roundup.

26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i do not put a deadline on anything.things happen around here way to offen .but i do set goals [if you miss a deadline you are in trouble] if you do not reach your goal who cares kick back and have another beer

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Deadlines are for Reality TV Shows, and most of those guys are ........................

28. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I don't set deadlines anymore... It is what it is!!! makes it much more fun and I can work on it when I feel like it. and you don't get in a mad rush having to redo things

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I set timeline/stages and try my best to complete as scheduled but it never quite happens--at least give me a goal for each stage. Be retired helps too.