Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND...The Hot Rod that started it all for me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop32, Feb 11, 2013.

1. That my friend is just cool!!

2. I think you are one lucky guy! What a project!
    In 67 I was in college dodging the draft and just trying to survive!
    I remember a hand full of local cars in our small town that did the same for me. Mostly while I was in Jr. High and High School. My first car was a 31 sedan - wish I still had it!!!!
    And now it comes full circle....

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  3. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

4. wdglide

wdglide

5. That pic of it back in the day pointing up the drive is 'out of control'. That stance is killer.........little bit of rubber sticking out of the back. A total 'I am not fucking around' look!
    I even like the different wheel.

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Great Story. Great to hear that the ol' Coupe made it's way back Home.

Very Cool,
    VR&C.

7. Good for you! Great story.

8. greaser

greaser

Cool car and cooool story! Your plan sounds like a good one.
    Thanks for sharing.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Really cool story!
    Good luck with the build.

10. very cool story ..sorry about your brother is his wife still around maybe you could take her for a ride or two in it that would be cool

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

12. studematt

studematt

Congats and good luck on the rebuild.

13. What a great story, please keep us posted on this re-build.

14. seret

seret

So cool!! come get the hydrostick, and I have most of an olds rearend. come and get it too, dont put an 8" in it

15. ml_engr

ml_engr

Thanks for a great story.

16. That's a great story Gunar, look forward to seeing progress

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

That's a great story and it's a good thing that car hasn't been hacked to death. The pic of you and your brother is priceless

18. Nice A! Glad to see its back in the family. Great pics of you and your brother

19. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

That's the best news I've heard all day! Thanks for posting the story and I'm happy for you man. Now get busy and put that Ford back together and drive it.

20. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

Similar story: in 1968 when I was 16, I spotted a 40 Ford sedan in grey primer sitting at a body shop "for sale". It had a 348-409 and they wanted $400 for it. My dad would nt let me buy it, but I never forgot it. 5 years later I had bought another 40 sedan and joined the local street rod club. At the 1st meeting, I found one of the other members had MY 40 THAT MY DAD WOULDNT BUY. It was beautiful, black with flames, pearl white diamond interior, chrome rear end housing, 409 with a powerglide. Lost track over the years and a year ago I heard it was back in the area after some time in Colorado. I tracked down the new owner and it looks just like it did in 72, but its rough and needs complete restoration. Negotiating with the owner for purchase (it was his dads car) but he doesnt seem too anxious to sell. In the meantime I am just finishing a 40 2dr sedan that will look very similar, but I would sell it in a heartbeat to get that 1st car I fell in love with.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Teej

Teej

Fantastic! Very sorry to hear that your brother won't be able to recreate the picture, but I'm sure he's smiling down on you! Maybe you can get another family member (grandson, nephew,etc) to sit in for the young 'you'. Might create another set of memories.

Keep us posted, I'm sure she's going to turn out great!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

amazing story! Love it!

23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that story is the envy of many of us---i am happy for you

24. sololobo

sololobo

Holy smolly, that isn't going to happen often. Good things come to good people! Congrats man keep us posted on progress. ~sololobo~

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Wow!
    That story put a chill up my spine. It must have been such an odd feeling to place your hands to that steel again, knowing the history and what not. Really cool story. All the luck to you in the build. bro!

26. chop32

chop32

It is an odd (but good) feeling. Kind of like standing on hallowed ground.
    Just looking at the parts has brought back so many memories like the weekend my Mom and Brother upholstered the door panels it black button tufted naugahide with little antique brass buttons, or my Brother letting me help him crank out the windshield.
    I had forgotten all about the chrome interior garnish mouldings until I saw them that day.
    I'd always known that one of the rear fenders was fiberglass, but actually finding that the fender was still with the car was amazing.
    I spoke to the "uncle" , Gary Hoehn, today and he told me a bunch of stories about the car. Turns out that there was one short time owner between him and my Brother and that he paid $800 for the car.
    He also reminded me that his wife had once wanted to restore the car and when we met about 24 years ago, I had offered a stock '29 A Coupe in trade for the car. She didnt want to trade partially because Gary thought my A was missing a rear fender. I told him today that it was a complete car with one glass fender, just like his had...if there had been a little more communication, maybe I would have owned the car back then.
    I honestly think that I wouldnt have appreciated it quite as much then as I do now!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wow!!! Awesome, Congrats!

28. Shoprag

Shoprag

You trying to make grown men cry? Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. mow too much

mow too much

Sometimes things turn out right in life.:D

30. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That is a cool story. You just made my day reading it through. Keep us updated.