Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Veach, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Veach

Veach

I'm having an exhaust system put on my 60 Falcon Wagon from the headers I'm going to run 3" and dump in front of the rear tires? The question is what mufflers to run? Would you run a X pipe or H pipe or does it really matter? She has a 289 with a Thumper cam and 4sp.Im not trying to make it real loud but in looking for that 60s sound

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

3 inch diameter? Why? I would think that 2 inch is plenty. Porter mufflers sound great imo. But if you want the 60's "sound", try Cherry Bombs.....or The Mommas and the Pappas. :)

3. Forget the 3" pipe, what are you running a 13:1 572?, for the 289 try a 2" or 2 1/4" at the very most. Do not listen to who ever is telling you or suggesting you run a 3" pipe.

The H pipe crossover will help with low and mid range torque/horsepower, the X pipe is for the mid to upper end torque/horsepower levels/efficiency.

4. Cherry Bomb, or Thrush mufflers should get you the 60z sound you are looking for.

5. You exit the pipes in front of the rear tires it won't matter what muffler you run, it will be loud AND drive you nutz.

I would also can the 3" idea for a 2-1/2" system. With a 289 and a "poser" Thumpr cam you won't have a need for 3".

6. I like something that's gonna last so as far as I'm concerned I don't use glass packs,,I know everybody don't like them but I'm partial to Flowmaster's (40) . HRP

7. Veach

Veach

Thank that's why I like this site I was thinking 2-2 1/4 but those exhaust people were saying go with the 3" you will get a lot better sound.Always go with your first instinct Thanks again

8. i too would use 2"or 2.5". and i think glass packs sound better with a lot of tail pipe, which you are not using.

9. metal man

metal man

Yep, 2" or 2 1/4" tubing and Porter, Cherry Bomb, or Thrush mufflers.

10. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

I wouldn't go to the shop that suggested 3". Doesn't sound like they get the basics.

11. Yep. 3 inch is way over kill. If you turn them out in front of the back wheels it will be irritating. If you turn them down in front of the back wheels you will go crazy. Pay the extra $75 and put the tail pipes out back where they should be.

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Probably a "tuner" shop.

Nothing wrong with exits in front of the rear tires, if running mufflers. I have this on my '55 with Porters, and the sound is nice, not irritating at all.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't recall anyone ever having 3" pipes on a street driven car in the 60's. And as long as you turn them out in front of the rear wheels it won't be unbearable. It's those "under the car, in front of the rear axle dumps" that always make your head throb.
    Porters or cherry bombs would get you what you want, and either an X or H pipe will soften the sound a bit.

14. Veach

Veach

Thanks I think I will run them out the back.To me it don't matter I lost the use of the left Ear 40 something years ago.But my Grandson still has both Ears He will be driving it the most.Again I thank You

15. Diavolo

Diavolo

As for type of muffler, I would go with a regular turbo muffler in the stock location but IMHO, putting a glass pack as close to the engine and making the tailpipe as long as possible gets a nice burbly sound as the sound waves get together.

16. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

X2 ......But I love REALLY loud exhaust so electric Cutouts on everything!!!!!:D
    or just a Y pipe then you can block it if you don't want them...They are fun though,..... think about it.......;)

17. Veach

Veach

Mopar or no car like most people dang I wished I would have keep my 69 Roadrunner

18. you would loose power with 3in exhaust.You need to retain heat in the exhaust for scavenging.this will help pull more exhaust from the combustion chamber.An H pipe would help to quiet the exhaust pulses.run 2-2.25 exhaust.

19. Veach

Veach

BTW I like the Mamas & The Papas tell me your not hearing California Dreamin right now

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2" duals, max. A 3" dual system can flow enough for 740hp. Bigger than 2" will not scavenge a 289 well. A dual 3" will not scavenge a 289, at-all. You WILL lose power. Properly designed and tuned exhaust systems are not "about" sound, per se. It is something that needs to be managed in a properly designed and tuned system. A shop that suggests a tubing size solely based on the sound that it produces clearly does not have a good grasp of the concept. Ask them to explain the volumetric efficiency of the system that they are suggesting. If they look at you like you have three heads, then they have no business building performance exhaust systems.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  21. eastcoastron

eastcoastron

If it were me,I would run 2-1/4" pipes with thrust mufflers as close as possible to the exhaust manifold and dump them out the rear.Just saying!!!

22. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Three inch is more $$ and less everything else. Find another exhaust shop or, do it yourself.

23. BobMcD

BobMcD

I like the Dynomax Super Turbo, for their mello rumble, but I think you will have to go with a glass pack. I don't think you will have room for anything else as the the floor pan will get in the way The Falcon originally had the muffler behind the rear wheel. For ground clearance sake, go with 2" pipe and a glass pack. Go with a 3" chrome tip and let people think you have 3" pipe.

24. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, on the 2" / 2.25" system......As for mufflers, cherry bombs will piss off the hardest of hearing , if noise is the objective !!! (I love 'em)

4TTRUK

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Again, dual 3" is way too much pipe for a 289, plus on a Falcon there's no place to tuck them in so every inch of pipe is an inch of lost ground clearance.

26. mattrod68

mattrod68

please dont go larger than 2.5, you dont need it. plus another vote for Porters over glasspacks or cherry bombs.

matt

p.s.
    i have glasspacks on my newport, love them with long pipes and gives me a bit of a lowrider rap. my truck also has glasspacks and they dump under the cab, horrible, i repeat horrible sound. so the moral is who knows? i think longer pipes are better for glasspacks.

27. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I havent seen anyone on the hamb run these but me, im sure there is more, but you could put a super quiet muffler on there, put a set of these babys on...then with the push of a switch in your seat you can open them a little or ALOT go from stock quiet to full on dragster in a second.

I love when someone pulls up at a light and my truck is idling quietly and they rev there motor, then I open up the cutouts and then it scares the crap out of them!....:D
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

28. Veach

Veach

Thank y'all very much this is the real reason to join a Site and it was very kind of y'all giving me the feedback I needed and I will do just that.I can't Waite to hear Her.My first car was a 64 Newport this will be my Grandsons first Car and me and him has been working on it a long time but the Cool part is it was also His Dads first Car.When I gave it to His Dad it had the 144 3sp.Again I appreciate the info Thanks. PS I've got to get a set of those

29. Dig deep, they're pricey!

Also, check your states laws. They're not legal in most states.