Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Want To Drive To The Lonestar Roundup, BUT...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green Rodz, Feb 11, 2013.

1. seems like a lot of you guys would have him pull a friggin trailer with parts for a complete rebuild..

2. txturbo

txturbo

just drive it as much as you can before the trip....get a feel for it....get use to the normal sounds it makes....then pack a few basic tools and hit the road. If you drive it enough to get in tune with its personality you will hear or feel a problem before it leaves you stranded.

3. maybe we need to start a hamb members little book, with names phone numbers ect. for any of us that would be willing to offer a helping hand. nsra used to do this. to let people know we are proud members, we can wave our tool boxes out the window as we pass each other.

4. i am in for that. live north of atlanta, will be running I-20. leaving wed morn.

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I would take the bare esentials,have all your big spares available to a good friend , if you get in trouble, have them overnight it to you, or if you are a wuss ,just trailer the old bitch there ! LOL:p:p:p

6. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

You got it covered now with all these ideas and things to take. I drove my chevy from Toronto, Ontario Canada to LA California last summer with a truck load of tools and two spare tires (for the front and back) Remember an extra distributor and you are set.
    Good Luck!
    Jay

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Zig zags, cell phone, duct tape, bubble gum. Have a safe trip, see you there.

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Hahahaha, love that movie! :D

Has anyone started a break down call list thread yet? Doesn't hurt to keep those numbers handy. (sorry, haven't been able to read through this whole thread yet)

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

No shit. I've put a ton of miles on old cars out on the open road and the most I've ever taken, parts and tools combined, fits in a box that you normally get reams of paper in.... approx. 18"x12"x10".

11. sololobo

sololobo

Hey, like Malcolm says, a few tools and go for it. The coolest show on the planet is all ya would be missin. Do it ~sololobo~

12. Thanks Nick,,,Me too...

13. zep058

zep058

You beat me to it! I was just checking to see if anyone had posted Ryan's toolbox link.

Which reminds me I need to setup mine, I am sick of grabbing tools every time I go for a longer cruise.

Good luck pmsjaw

14. On our drive from Denver(via Amarillo) to the roundup we traveled with a pretty good size group. I was just the chosen navigator this trip since I was a Texas native. My ride was with Fatkoop in his 40 Ford. The trip was a long one, but is was very relaxed for me knowing that I was traveling with a couple of seasoned road warriors with thousands of miles driving their hot rods.

One of the things that our friend Pete always carries in his parts box is a small inline electric fuel pump. It's a SW that he has had for years. He was telling me before the trip about how many times he has needed it to rescue a failure. Sure enough, we were out in the hill country of Texas with no help but the cows around and the fuel pump in Mark Warrick's 57 Chevy gave up the ghost. Thirty minutes time and we were back on the move.

[​IMG]

15. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

I live here in the area and will look your 64 up and shake your hand and welcome you to Texas and wish you the same safe trip home....The trip is what you will remember most,not the Roundup...!!!

16. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Anybody know where I can get 2.79 gears or deeper for the Galaxie? I think that would make sense. My neighbor wants to do an AOD swap on it, but I don't know enough about that to make an informed decision. He's already got a rebuilt trans for it he says.

But if anyone has a link for a highway gear for the car, please post it. :)

17. slammed

slammed

Some of you have asinine remark's over too much stuff on list. Really, if you have never been stranded good fer you! A blue star for Mr Lucky!! Now watch the up coming events and see the 'HAMBER down' thread in East-Wadda-muck-A call to arms,:D

18. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

It's got an alternator. The guy we got the car from rebuilt the motor 12,000 daily driver miles ago. I'm hoping that's a GOOD thing.

19. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Does the HAMB have an Android app?

20. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Thats what im looking forward to the trip, and bbq, for me im at the point where a car show is a car show, im go more for the people that I want to see and not the amount of cars

21. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

22. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I think this is an excellent idea.

23. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

i have a 64 galaxie as well and was always told that the cut off is '63. is that still true?

24. I have a tool set, meter, jumper cables, a fan belt, an electric fuel pump a spare tire and jack etc.... I am a bit paranoid though. I drive it daily and dont want to get stuck.

25. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Can we get confirmation on this?
    If I drive 1300 miles one way in that thing for nothin' I'll about explode :mad:

26. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

"Registration is open ONLY to 1963 and earlier traditionally-styled american hot rods, custom cars and traditionally-styled bikes. No Imports, No cars newer than 1963 - please make sure you fit these requirements or your registration will be rejected - no exceptions." - From the Lonestar Roundup website. I personally think it's too bad .... there's a lot of nice 64s out there. Sorry man.

27. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

But it doesn't mean that you cant rock it out in and around other joints around there. I think I'll be doing the same thing with my 64 500XL 4 door hard top. THey'll be some die-hard fans of the Galaxies around that will love to see it.

28. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Well, guess I'm not going to the Round Up then.

I don't think I want to drive 3000 miles round trip so my car can sit outside the fence, while the pre-64 guys mock me / it .
    That's no fun.

Guess I'd better confirm the same with BilletProof Florida before I spend any more time planning that one as well.

On that note, THANK YOU to everyone who posted their ideas for the original question that I had. I'm working on putting my supply / tool set together, and I'm now tonight on try #2.
    Sears has a tool sale this week, up to 50% off, and I stopped by today and picked up a couple large canvas bags that I think will work nice. And I ordered some parts, like a belt, extra wiper blades, and two of the dreaded Ford Solenoids. It's a good start.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  29. belair

belair

So you are more interested in being in it than going to it? Your loss, man. I parked my 55 buick in the lot 3 years in a row. Still, somehow, I had a good time. Hope you reconsider.

30. GREASER815

GREASER815

I carry a spare, a bottle jack that will pick up my car, basic hand tools, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, vise grips, hammer, prybat, breaker bar and lugnut socket, wire strippers and crimpers, electrical connectors, roll of wire, nut and bolt assortment, cotter pin assortment, rtv tube, electrical tape, duck tape, hose clamps, etc.... Sounds like a ton but it is all in a little carry toolbox, Just think of what could go wrong that is roadside fixable and take what youd need. I also carry coolant, oil, brake fluid, etc....