Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kirkegaard Merc, 1939 early style custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sled

sled

Welcome anytime my friend..seeing these new outside pics on sunset lights are somethin special,EPIC car...i can stare at it and its so well balanced that is unreal.
    Those 38 Caddy accessory hubcaps are bringin the car to a more higher coachbuilt level to me,a great touch that raises the bar from a average to a top notch trad custom..well tought guys!!!
    And yes,trying to save some extra bucks to send the Mexicali to the OSW too,that's my goal for this year...Congrats for all involved ,we need more of these customs in this modern plastic disposable world...;):D

2. desotot

desotot

That is a truly beautiful chop, amazing workmanship displaying both taste and talent, and a gorgeous car. Wow!

3. This is a piece of art. Beautyfull. Looking forward to see it in person.

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well it's been a while since I checked in, WOW! Thanks so much Kevin for lettin' us peek over your shoulder. What a priviledge. Stunning car and craftsmanship.

5. klazurfer

klazurfer

This car turned out so nice that it Hurts .. Badly
    Most Excellent work by all involved . Can not wait to see it inpersona . You better turn up at OSW :)

Klaz

6. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

7. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Ha Ha
    Is the entire thread just Photoshop by Rikster ?

8. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yes Tim. It was all just a dream!:p

9. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Yeah , but what a dream !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If only all dreams were like that :)

10. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Making the world better, one chopped merc at a time :D

well, ok...two at the same time !

11. Seen lots of the outside of this fantastic car, what's the inside look like now with the chop?

12. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Headliner and Rear seat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  13. 53chevy

53chevy

Hey Kevan, trying to recreate the Griffin dunk over a KIA car instead with a Custom '39 Mercury? Hahahaha. This Custom is stunning at every angle.

Kenny

14. brad2v

brad2v

15. Mopar 38

Mopar 38
    from Germany

I would be pleased to see this Car at EURO Nats in Denmark this Year ,
    maybe in Line with Jack Baymore Merc :D

Greetings from Germany .

#Norbert

16. 39mercman

39mercman

I'm the guy that sold the 39 Mercury to Tim Kirkegaard and If I'd of known what he was going to do to it I wouldn't of sold it to him. Tim told me was going to keep it stock and cruise around with his family.
    Well He bought it, he can do as he wishes with it, BUT he lied to me about it.
    I have a 39 just like the black car (I bought for parts for the black car) but it is silver and red, red body, silver top and fenders, 350/350, MustangII front, 8" ford rearend, Electric buckets from a Mustang, air/tilt/cruise, electric windows, ECT.
    I would of tried to work a deal with him for it and I would have kept the black car.

[email protected]

17. If it was such a concern that this car remain stock to you, then you should have never sold it. FYI.

Perhaps Tim didn't lie to you. Perhaps his initial intention WAS to keep it like it was and ride his family around in it. Perhaps his plans changed after seeing some of the other beautifully done customs, and decided to go a different direction. I know that my plans with my Hudson changed dramatically from when I initially bought the car.

Or, perhaps he didn't want to start with someone's aborted street-rod project. I wouldnt. The car he has created is far more beautiful than a stocker could ever be, and STILL retained all the best features of the stock car.

Good one Tim, congratulations on creating one of the most beautiful modern Traditional Customs of late.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

He did the right thing in chopping the top..I've changed my mind a dozen times on chopping the top of my merc..Just because I descide to chop it now, doesn't mean I originally was going too when I bought it off the old timer awhile back...Things change..It is an OUTSTANDING merc in person..EXCELLENT job Kevan..

19. swissmike

swissmike

Hudsoncustom - very well said. The car retains very much a stock feel, but with dramatically improved lines, like a restored coach built car of the era. I should hope Tim will still take his family out for a Sunday drive in the car!

20. I have never understood the thought process of someone who wants to sell a car but try to dictate to the buyer what he can do with it. You want to control the fate of a car don't sell it. Tim and Kevan have made a huge improvement in creating a classic custom.

21. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

That is truly a killer car, you have done a beautiful job.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

22. sled

sled

Once you agreed on the sale and been paid for (note,his cash was good enuff for you,right?) the new owner can do whatever he wishes with the car

Probably he did'nt lie to you...he's willing to take his family out anytime in the STOCK interior ,wich is still perfectly intact there!

If he lied to you ,i wish there will be way more liers around..dont you see the dramatically improved traditional custom masterpiece created with your ex stocker??You should be honored of such beautiful change ,for customs sake!This is the closest to a factory look ever made by talented customizers (both planning,drawing,creating ),unique and refreshing...take your time and study it ,please!

And Tim,me and many others will never want to start from a street rodded Merc that its totally alterated in a wrong direction for us..that's why he probably never wanted to deal your other Merc..mind you,according to your description it less than wanted here..Note: this is a traditional customs and rods forum,with all the due respect what do you expect to hear?

no hard feelings man,but look positive on this matter..i would be more than happy to see such improvment if it was my ex stocker..yeah,i HATE such stock roofs,sorry...lets move on chopping the next one,please!

23. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

So...What are you doing here then :D I mean factory stock cars isnt really flourishing around here. And to be frank; A 39/40 Mercury is butt ugly as a stocker. the roof line must have been drawn in the sleep. The swooping lines on Tims Mercury is an improvement only and just as classic as any stock car.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  24. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

39mercman....in my opinion you should start building that twotone mercury BACK to traditional! it sounds rather ugly in my eyes!
    let us know if you need some 30-40 parts..we are all here to help!
    -palle

25. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Some people amaze me... It's not a one of a kind-Duesenburg we're talking about. And the street rodded car is a very bad and destroyed example of what this thing is all about. Totally uninteresting as a start for something this genuine and period correct.

39mercman, if you want to dictate the way people do to their own property, you will have lots on your hands in your life. Sold=gone...

The car look fantastic and I am glad I will see it in person this summer. Congrats again, Tim!

26. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Ahhhhhhhhh....... The Nay-Sayers!!!! There seems to be one on every build thread here, mine included.
    Sir, it is kinda contradicting to be upset with someone who has taken a vision and perfected it their way from stock, when you have done so yourself by streetrodding the other one you own, NO????????
    I don't think any car enthusiast PERIOD, would say this car doesn't look fantastic or tastefully done. As a matter of fact you should be down right proud you once owned it.
    I'm sure this Merc will be enjoyed and driven which is much better than sitting stock in some garage hiding!!!!
    Kudos to KIRKEGAARD and SLEDGE and please put me next in line as I want to be one of those Liars too!!!

27. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Hi Leon
    I am sorry you feel that I have lied to you, but I do not remember how much I exactly told you about my plans, the intension was not, that I would do the chop of the top so fast , but I had the chance to get Kevan Sledge to do the car for me and he is one of the best to perform this kind of work, he is really a Master.
    I hope, when you see the pictures, that you will enjoy that the Mercury,which have been created as a Mercury, Mr. Edsel Ford would have done for a car show in 1938, this was my intension
    There is nothing on the car that you could not buy in 1938, even the tires are Ford Script Tires Ford did from ca. 1937-41, and I have really spend 6 month searching for parts and to find the history of prototypes and Kustoms, together with The Kustom historian Rik Hoving http://www.rikhovingkustoms.com/RHK1/Home.html
    The car will really move the Kustom world towards the early prewar Kustom style , because the car looks like a car that the factory would have done, as an early option (Special sporty Mercury Monterey), Ford should have made back then.
    The only thing I have changed on the car, is the cars roof and all the stainless that is around the windows. I had to get extra stainless from another car, to make my car.
    Then there is the original hubcaps, I have kept them because in a future plan I might put them back on now and then, as a more stock 1939 Mercury..... if I ever get the feeling of something else.
    The alloy heads you helped me recieving, will not be on the car, I have decided, as that would have been to futuristic even for Mr. Edsel, I think............ I have a V12 Lincoln engine that might fit instead.
    The only thing I have removed, is the licence plate holder on the trunklid and the keyhole in one door, everything else, is on the car as it was, when you sold it to me.
    I have mostly added things as 112 Appleton´s, gravelshield between the end of the car and the rear bumper and fenderskirt.
    I did try to email some month ago, but you didnt answer, only your brother did.
    I would have hoped you had emailed me before you posted on the web, as you will be burned here, because everybody here loves Kustom cars more than stockers, and you really do not deserve this.
    You have been very helpfull to me and I have been very happy buying the car from you, and all that you did to help me, with the Edelbrock heads I ordered for the car e.t.c.... Leon.
    The car will be at The Sacramento Autorama 15-17 February,and I will have tickets for you if you wish to go there.
    I really hope you will look at the pictures of the car and enjoy the beautiful creation it has become.
    It is really the Danish H.C. Andersen story “The Ugly Duckling” about the car becomming a beautifull Swan.

When you see the pictures I have emailed you, I hope you will forgive me, if I did upset you...............

Best Tim

28. R&C RON

R&C RON

Tim , you are a first class guy , congrats on taking the high ground on your reply....you said it perfectly!

29. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Tim, you blew it! You could have had a car with a 350/350, MustangII, electric bucket seats, air/tilt/cruise, and electric windows!!! :eek:

30. OLLIN

OLLIN

Hey Leon,
    I can definitely understand getting attached to our cars, and it really shows that you were a great caretaker in the story of this car...but its not as if they turned the merc into some hacked up rat rod. You have to admit it came out pretty cool. If I had a family, I would totally cart them around in it!
    Even if the new owner of my car took it in a different direction than I would have, I would still be pretty proud to say that I used to own a car that is worthy of parking inside at the gnrs!
    It's like your daughter married a plastic surgeon, maybe not what you would have chosen, but hey he's a doctor, and she's happy :)