Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. old injun

old injun

Quain this has been a great journy so far, fantastic job on the restoration. hopefully the thread will continue as it gets painted and eventually running under its own power. everyone involved should be very proud of this project.

2. Baileysgassers

Baileysgassers
    from Nc

Quain, I couldn't be more impressed with the build on Gene's and your own Willys. You're our hobbys Michael Jordan (doing it for the love of the sport). Seeing the look on Gene's face at the initial open house with the progress being made was priceless. Know that bringing this piece of history back is not only appreciated by it's owner but by everyone viewing this thread. Great work buddy!!!

3. no1nitrofreak

no1nitrofreak

The red car in the other lane looks like Levy Miles in maybe Jim Allmons 4 door anglia. The guy in the blue helmet is Linsen Kendall of the blue angel. The guy in between the two cars looks like Jerry Plyler of the Bold One.

4. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

My old friend Ray Billingsley was telling me about the race at donaldson afb a few weeks ago , he thought the moonlighter was there running, I would love to see some pics from that race . Quain you've done a great job!

5. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Awesome Job Quain !!

6. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Here's a pic That hasn't been posted that I thought ya'll might enjoy That's my daughters leaning on the trailor.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. Didn't come through Gene,,if you will E-mail me the photo I'll post it for you. HRP

8. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about that ya'll I can't get the pic to load for some reason and Quain is here helping he can't figure it out.

9. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Here you go Gene. Tell Quain to get back up here and help us with this LeeBoy car!;)
    Daron

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Thats a great picture! The moonlighter looks like its going 9sec on the trailer!

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Gene!
    Do you have the old Ranchero hidden away somewhere? :)

Glenn

12. Gene.... that picture with your girls is priceless. Looks like daddys little girls. Did they ever tag along to the races? The 58 is sweet. FE powered?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  13. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

NO,Wish i did would like to have another one.

14. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

They went to the races a lot, and they are still my girls and have families of there own. WE towed with The 58 Using 448 FE, we needed something
    that would haul.

15. Gene what year was the photo of your girls taken? HRP

16. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Danny, Quain was helping me but we could not get the picture to
    post. I will need you to help me when you have the time.

17. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Jody, I changed to a tilt front and and primed the car later. It had been used and abused and needed new paint but never got to it. I used the Halabrand wheels on the Mustang and Willys reversed. We were racing
    the Mustang in Miami and had those wheels with new slicks for spares and someone stole them.

18. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

I guess that was 1966.

19. Gene.... I have two girls and I can relate. There is a different bond with girls. Mine ran the junks yards with me back when there was old ones to run. They went to the races and car shows and most people were shocked at there young knowledge of old cars.And I bet yours was the same. Always daddy's girls :)

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I went to Cromers Thursday, Melvin and I helped him take the car apart so he could run his brake lines and such. Here's a pic of it at home in the same remodeled shop where it was built in 1963.[​IMG]

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

From the outside looking in after we took it apart.[​IMG]

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene trying to remember where the line lock was mounted before. He still had the original brake lines he is going to make new ones but we put the old ones back on just for fun just like magic they went right back in place even the old clamps lined up with the old rivet holes.[​IMG]

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thats such a great picture seeing the car back in the old shop once again,.... and hstill having the old brake lines after 40+ years? ..... amazing.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great pics and info! Love this comeback!

25. Just keeps getting better!!

26. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i know gene has to be ready to jump! its got to be alot of fun to see her back on 4 wheels again! alot of fun was had at the old dragstrips. it was a different time. anybody got a ranchero lying around?

27. Love the picture with his daughters. I can relate! I am happiest when my daughters go to the track with me!

28. dixiedave

dixiedave

I don't usually post on here, more of a lurker, learner and admirer. This has to be the coolest thread and story that I have had the pleasure of reading. The car, the rebuild and
    Gene are so awesome.

29. Butch M

Butch M

Great History and what a car the real deal can't wait to see it done love seeing old race cars saved

30. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

This is Melvin a good Friend and great helper always went with me wherever there was a race. We are fitting
    the Henry J backing plates to the Willys Spindles, Quain has enlarged the register hole to 2-3/4 and you have
    slightly oblong 2 holes and redrill 2 holes in each plate. The bearing i am using i believe are reg. Willys. I did
    not know it was so hard to get up and down, i must weight a ton.

[​IMG]