Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Humble beginnings... Lets see if I can finish this one...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jun 5, 2012.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

room for more kids or bigger chics,told you 2 door phaeton was the way to go,didnt make it today 200 bucks was the side track

2. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

we in the northeast can sure resurect those lost cars from long ago,like my 27 willys knight roadster

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Ok, don't need more kids he is FINALLY almost out of the carseat now. And I'm not big on fat chicks.

I'm thinking 2 seater tub with a toneau cover over the rear covering the gas tank and battery. Some call them "lakes style phaeton"

$200 side track? Tell me you earned an extra $200 and didn't hit a deer or something!?!?!!

I just scored a complete ready to go valvetrain for my flathead, with brand new Isky springs and keepers on ebay for $99.99. Didn't really want to spend the cash right now, but where am I ever gonna get a deal like that again?:D

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

You my friend have no fear,good luck on your build...

5. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

thats what she said

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Change in plans yet again. Originally I had planned to relocate the rear spring to the top of my banjo rear. Not gonna happen, I'll run that stock. Which means I had to move my rear x-member back 7.5"
    [​IMG]
    I stopped here today,I still have to go in and fishplate it and make it all pretty.

I slapped the body back on there to get an idea where everything would set. I ended up pulling the cowl and doors back about 2". I'm hoping this doesn't make too much room between the engine and firewall. Firewall clearance is always a good thing, but too much can ruin the look of the whole car.
    [​IMG]
    This is a 700-16 tire, I plan to run 7.50-16s. Also, I've read that the '46 banjo rears are "too wide" for a Model A. I think I lucked out here because it looks to be a perfect fit with the tub I'm using.

7. Beau

Beau

Nice!

If you sell those quarter panels let me know.

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm bouncing all over the place on this build, its a bitch when your waiting for parts. Today I worked on the inner structure for the tub. Originally it had wood and tack nails holding the entire body together. Today I hammered out some channels, squared up the tub, and welded it all together at the top. I set them about 3/4" below the edge of the body, this way I'll have a perch for the 1" wood I plan to cap it with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The weather has been real nasty here lately, I haven't been able to sand blast this thing yet. Don't worry, I'm not building a Rust Rod.

Also, my project keeps relocating around the shop. I guess that happens when work comes before play. Here is a shot of today's mess.
    [​IMG]

I tried to mock up the engine yesterday. It looks like I'll have some clearance issues at the front pulley. If you'll remember I used the AV8 book to make my engine mounts. I wish I would have researched it a bit more because I found out that there are some misprints in the book I have. Also, My 59A has a Merc crank with the double pulley. It looks to be a very tight squeeze in that A front crossmember. Any tips?

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

UPS driver just left. It's like Christmas day! Got a So-Cal reversed front spring, 4 wheel cylinders, and some Tardel shackles. All in trade for the coupe parts I'm not going to use. :D

Speaking of Tardel... the Av8 book has a misprint in it regarding the motor mounts. It looks like I'll be cutting them back out and starting over.

Wheelbase on this will sit right around 96"-98".

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

11. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

How bad was the passenger side quarter? Looking to sell?

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Wow, your the 4th person to ask me about the quarters. I put them in the classifieds last week, they sold the same day. Well actually I traded them... they are in Sacramento now.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What did you do with that early 30's chrysler you got??? Looks like an interestig project. Have fun.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Greg, I ended up trading that to a guy for this believe it or not. The Chrysler went to Michigan, this came from Michigan.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Did a tad bit of work today on it. I bent up a pair of rocker panels and tacked them on. I've been trying to sandblast the tub, but my sand blaster is still giving me fits. Did I mention I HATE sandblasting?

Heres a doodle
    [​IMG]
    I ran the new rocker paned back to the wheelwell, This way I kill two birds with one stone. 1:eliminate the need for a lower patch panel 2: added strength. I am also going to cut the lower 3-4" from the bottom of the rear panel.

I'm still planning out my replacement wheelwells. I've got a stump and a mallet, now all I need is a plan of attack.

Shitty picture of the rocker tacked onto the tub.
    [​IMG]

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hey Joe, you're gonna need a bit of a notch over that axle or its gonna be a rough ride. Lookin good buddy!

17. perrysmith

perrysmith
    from Idaho, USA

For those unfamiliar, this sport coupe body is not missing as much metal as one might believe. alas, there was enough wood back there to require a sawmill. I will be curious to see how Hillbilly approaches that section.Good luck, and I hope you are as good with wood as you are with metal!

18. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks guys. Andy, in those pictures there are only two springs in that rear pack. I was real worried when i saw that. Now that i'm back to a full spring pack I've got the opposite problem. I have two pair of Tardel lowering shackles 2" and 4". I'll play around with those for a bit. I still haven't removed any springs, I've been told 5 springs is the magic number.

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

The front and rear halves are now one. Pretty floppy right now, but they are finally connected.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got this seat back from Rcranger. Still not sure exactly what it is. Ken seems to think its the rear of the front seat of a phaeton. I am going to weld it in solid when I figure out where the seat should go. This will add alot of strength to the tub.
    [​IMG]

20. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Stump + mallet = ringing ears & sore hands
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to take shape. I still need to make a post dolly. I have an old welding tank cap laying around somewhere, should suffice. ;)

21. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Progress...
    [​IMG]

Also trying to figure out how I am going to run my generator and fan when I install my Fenton 2x2
    [​IMG]
    Generator has to move to the driverside. Which means I'll need a spacer or something to run the fan. I have a spare generator I was thinking about cutting the bracket from just to use as a fan mount/ spacer.

22. ev88f

ev88f

hey this things startin to look like a car! I remember looking at it in a pile when you had it dropped off haha. nice work Joe

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks Ev, I'm still wondering why I traded off a good body for this one. In the end I could've done the same with what I had. Just hack the roof off and take the middle doors out.
    [​IMG]

24. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

F^CK!I started on the second wheel housing after work today. Cut out the steel, hammered it into shape, took it over to the planishing hammer, then went for my first test fit on the body....... whats going on? This isn't even close! Walk over to the other side of the body...perfect fit! SHIT, I hammered the wrong side!

Oh well, chalk that one up as practice. My buddy said "well atleast you have a spare"

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I did something similar making my floor pans. All you can do is laugh it off.

26. tinmann

tinmann

As a good buddy of mine used to say, "with patience and perseverance, you can piss a hole through a rock". You're making good progress. Carry on and please continue to post.

27. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

So as it turns out, that second wheel well I made was actually the correct side. It didn't look right to me because I still needed to shape it a bit more. How did I learn this you ask? I cut out a third blank, marked it in big red letters "HIT THIS SIDE!!!!!", then held it up to the "messed up panel" and scratched my head for a bit because if I "HIT THIS SIDE!!!" I would have ended up with the exact same piece. So I flipped it over and wrote the same on the other side. Then scratched my head again......wait...this ain't right?!?!?

Holy jeez...haha..

New news on the front, I'll be sending my axle to Titus to get a drop treatment. That should get the front end down to a respectable level. Motor mounts came in today, for some reason my tranny mounts didn't come with the order. I just bought a 28-29 radiator from the classifieds that I plan to add some outlets to. And if all goes as planned I'll pick up my "new to me" Beverly B3 shear on Sunday.

28. Beau

Beau

People make fun of me for writing things on panels. Even "cut here", "bend here", "Left and Right".

They will understand one day! :)

I bought my Beverly B-3 a short while back. Paid $750 (top dollar) for one. I cut 10 ga. and just did 3/16" yesterday. I got shit on here for paying a lot, but every time I make cuts with it, I tell myself that was $2 in cut off wheels,mask filters, sweeping dust and my health. I'm have saved money!

I have a titus drop axle. Good stuff and nice guy.

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks nice, what is it? Bob [​IMG]