Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best penetrating oil for stuck nuts & bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 777, Jan 31, 2013.

1. perrysmith

perrysmith
    from Idaho, USA

I think it is great when old posts are brought up for another lap. The years do seem to affect the rewinding as my brain goes older. It is a blessing that one may be entertained with the same data, but the downside is one tends to forget the most important point when the time comes to use the knowledge! Also, just when one thinks he has heard the total of the pros and cons, someone slips in a ttotally new filalment in a thread being rehashed for the umpteenth time.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s a new one for you. An old timmer told me---when you have an engine thats stuck. Use water to get it unstuck. He said what makes things rust. WATER. What breakes down rust. WATER. It just might take a little while longer.

3. 61 chevy

61 chevy

how bout NUTS OFF, saw a old can on ebay

4. lawman

lawman

It's about time we see a new thread !!!!!!

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

I too have heard a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone can't be beat, I have yet to try it for myself though.

6. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

I know LAWMAN, but I have to put in my 2 cents, plus maybe a quarter. Tried the majic mix today for the 1st time on some rusty axle u-bolts. Had no Kroil left, (my favorite store bought) and had no ATF on the shelf, but I had a gallon jug of Marvel Mystery Oil and acetone. It worked great and almost immediately. Used it in a cheap HF pump oil can. Bye the way acetone stabilizes Acetelyn in the tank. You should always transport in a upright position to keep the acetone on the bottom. All done!!

7. Kroil for me!

Jerome D. Brown likes this.
  8. lawman

lawman

Thank's Gent. I may try your mix also. I don't care how many time's
    this thread show's up. I just trying to be an "Old smart ass" sometime's !!!!
    LOL

9. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Yeah Lawman, been there a time or two. Us Southern boys must think alike!! Food for thought, The Marvel Mystery Oil and SLOANS LINAMENT works great in the cylinders of a stuck engine. BON-AMI cleanser to seat chrome rings!! More way OLD SKOOL!!!

10. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

You know there is an OFC for guys like you?

11. Diavolo

Diavolo

Just throwing this out there...

If you haven't contaminated the area with an oil based solvent, just put water on it. It's what caused the rust in the first place and it penetrates quickly. Saved many a rusty garage sale tool that was rusted up by letting it sit in hot water for an hour or so, then drying and lubricating after it was free.

12. Super Weasel Piss...

13. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I use acetone/vegetable oil, 50% of each. Works wonderfully, and cheaper/cleaner than ATF.

Stuck motors... a tub of agriculture molasses, heated. I used an electric charcoal started on a rheostat. After two to three weeks, my crusty 1938 straight eight looked brand new. Smells too, so keep it outside. Heard about this from a farmer.

14. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I think it's funny that these threads about getting threads unstuck are stuck.

clem likes this.
  15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have had the best luck with a propane torch and candle wax. Don't try this on a rusty zipper on your jeans.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It's like politics.

17. Bob.Same here I let it sit over night.Some time I hit it with some heat if needed.Bruce.

18. elba

elba

Acetone- ATF 50-50 the best

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

PB Blaster smells nasty. Not as pukeworthy as Ballistol but it's right up there. Marvel's has that wintergreen thing goin' on, which is nice. Supposedly mice and critters don't like that odor. So 50/50 acetone and MMO works good for me. Wintergreen is one of the better penetrants.

Heat is probably better anyway. A little anti-sieze when assembling stuff sure helps later on too. There oughtta be a law...

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy